Losing Respect for Christian Friends

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2015, 12:16 PM
RE: Losing Respect for Christian Friends
(04-07-2015 09:47 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I've gone through the same depressive state after seeing so much intolerance and bigotry and racism being so wide spread still (whether in my native state of Tennessee or the ever present idiocy in Connecticut where I now live).

The one silver lining is that while you'll see a lot of people you don't want to see, some people may begin to pleasantly surprise you. A few people I know have managed to make me realize that not everyone sucks.

I have to admit, there's a couple of my friends on Facebook, deeply religious types that completely shocked me by posting pro-supreme court stuff and are completely pro marriage equality. I had no clue. I guess they're getting flack from their other friends...

But yeah, not everyone sucks and it's encouraging to read.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-07-2015, 12:23 PM
(04-07-2015 09:41 AM)ThatAtheistChick Wrote:  The problem is I don't have any other friends.

Hug
04-07-2015, 05:50 PM
(04-07-2015 09:34 AM)ThatAtheistChick Wrote:  I am an idealist and fierce defender of human rights and liberty. Watching my friends freak out and declare that giving my gay friends equal rights is the end of America turns my stomach. I have seen posts on FB that equal rights for pedophiles is next. A friend of mine for twelve years (former alcoholic who walked on the wild side before her conversion) unfriended me when I used the rainbow profile. ... I hate mean people!

If you'll forgive me for borrowing a phrase from our religious pasts: "Amen, sister!"

(04-07-2015 09:34 AM)ThatAtheistChick Wrote:  I feel like I went to bed believing I was in the North fighting slavery and woke up in the South. I have cried over this. I'm seeing my friends in a whole new light and it ain't pretty. Frankly I don't know that I can continue to be friends with such bigots. I'm in a small town in the Northern Bible Belt and my atheism is still in the closet. Moving is not an option otherwise I would.

Northern Bible Belt, eh? Wanna go get lunch? 'Cuz I'm pretty sure we're neighbors. Sad

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
04-07-2015, 06:03 PM
(04-07-2015 09:41 AM)ThatAtheistChick Wrote:  The problem is I don't have any other friends.

You have us. Yes

Many of us are in similar situations where coming out would be..... inconvenient or uncomfortable. Grab a cup of coffee and put your feet up, make yourself at home.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
04-07-2015, 06:10 PM
I think I have come full circle on this. I expect people to be dicks and get pleasure out of the ones who come out of the woodwork to post opposition. I have seen several older, closeted ladies come out on FB because they could not stand the idiotic postings of others anymore. Tickles me pink.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
04-07-2015, 09:41 PM
I'm in the same boat and I've come to this conclusion...

...fuck em!
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
04-07-2015, 11:12 PM
(04-07-2015 05:50 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(04-07-2015 09:34 AM)ThatAtheistChick Wrote:  I am an idealist and fierce defender of human rights and liberty. Watching my friends freak out and declare that giving my gay friends equal rights is the end of America turns my stomach. I have seen posts on FB that equal rights for pedophiles is next. A friend of mine for twelve years (former alcoholic who walked on the wild side before her conversion) unfriended me when I used the rainbow profile. ... I hate mean people!

If you'll forgive me for borrowing a phrase from our religious pasts: "Amen, sister!"

(04-07-2015 09:34 AM)ThatAtheistChick Wrote:  I feel like I went to bed believing I was in the North fighting slavery and woke up in the South. I have cried over this. I'm seeing my friends in a whole new light and it ain't pretty. Frankly I don't know that I can continue to be friends with such bigots. I'm in a small town in the Northern Bible Belt and my atheism is still in the closet. Moving is not an option otherwise I would.

Northern Bible Belt, eh? Wanna go get lunch? 'Cuz I'm pretty sure we're neighbors. Sad

Me too. I'm in the northern part too
05-07-2015, 04:42 AM
Well if y'all happen to be passing through the Southeast ("boot heel") part of Missouri, I'm about halfway between St. Louis and Memphis.

Stop on by! Cheers.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
05-07-2015, 08:39 AM
(04-07-2015 05:50 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  

Wisconsin?
05-07-2015, 08:52 AM
Southeast Misery. (See above.)