• 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2015, 09:05 AM
RE: Losing Respect for Christian Friends
Oh...sorry.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2015, 09:19 AM
Yeah, I'm sorry, too. It's not just that Missouri illegally kept me incarcerated so long; I hate this region allll on its own. Since my felony convictions, even if the second one ends up being completely reversed and expunged like the first one, as I expect once the courts finish dragging things out, prevent me from working as a biologist any longer, I have decided to turn my old hobby of motorcycle customization into a career. An old friend of mine with whom I used to work has recently come into a fairly large inheritance from his brewery-owning (now deceased) father, and we decided to make our own company together, since I'm the engineering brains and he's the primary mechanic and investor.

I moved here to the Boot Heel, where I have never before been, on the insistence of my business partner, who wanted to work with me to build a shop in his home territory (Cape Girardeau, MO) so that my hundreds of designs for custom motorcycles (and associated parts) could become a reality. He had most of the investment funds, so I let him talk me into it. Unfortunately, I hate it here so much it is impossible to adequately describe it to you... I will spare you any of the words screaming to the front (well, I suppose technically, it's the left side) of my brain to try to describe just how much I hate it. Now I spend most of my time in a mostly-empty shop, staring at the CAD program on this screen and willing myself to do any work toward our goal, rather than wasting my time online and wishing I was closer than 6 hours from my fiancee and child-- they were supposed to move here by now, before the start of the new school year, once I had the shop up to full operation and the home environment settled enough to support her while she sought new employment, locally.

In the horrifying last few weeks of dawning reality, I went from trying to get operations up and running to figuring out how to sell what we already bought and move our asses to somewhere at least remotely civilized. Current target is the Kansas City area (where fiancee lives). Hope to have ourselves established there by mid-September. Dealing with banks and licensing bureaucracies is turning out to be way more annoying than we first figured it would be-- they're taking our "oh hells no" attitude about staying here as "evidence" that there's some shady activity going on behind the scenes that requires them to delay and investigate before releasing OUR funds for immediate availability for transfer. (We suspect it has more to do with the Good Ol' Boy system, and a desire not to lose the account... somehow they don't grasp that harassing us about this does not encourage us to keep our funds with their banks/counties.)

Did I mention I hate it here? I wouldn't even be considering KC if not for her, and the fact that it's tough for me to leave MO until this courtroom drama plays itself out. The ignorance and bigotry of these people actively disgusts me.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
05-07-2015, 04:54 PM
How come when I post a long post in a thread, with any kind of actual emotional content, no one ever responds?

I'm starting to feel like the emotional equivalent of a runaway train with a giant plow on the front.

Am I the Snow Piercer train?

Crap, now I gotta Netflix that movie. Sad

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
05-07-2015, 10:02 PM
(05-07-2015 04:54 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  How come when I post a long post in a thread, with any kind of actual emotional content, no one ever responds?

I can't count the number of times I've put up a post I think rockets the ball out of the park and found the ball instead dead at my feet: no response nor even likes - the hard truth is that what rings my bell may often just be an annoying din to other ears.

You can't take what happens in a forum personally. We're all anonymous, to start with, fer chrissake. Even when offense is intentional, all it can do is tickle. Or should tickle, as in do no more than raise an amused eyebrow.

When my posts plop in the dust inert I just note it and try another subject, or another perspective. Plenty of posts DO ignite reaction and response - follow up with them and leave the dead posts dead. Words in a forum are too cheap to mourn.
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
06-07-2015, 02:05 AM
(05-07-2015 04:54 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  How come when I post a long post in a thread, with any kind of actual emotional content, no one ever responds?

I don't know why other members don't respond but I do not really care and don't like appearing shallow/rude/whatever. Say you write about personal tragedy - what I can say to person I don't know? I'm sorry? I feel your pain? All will be good? Better to say nothing at all than some cheap platitudes. Same with other emotional content.

I would say forum is good for discusing politics, religion or talking about some small things. Tragedies and joys - not so much.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
06-07-2015, 02:09 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2015 02:12 AM by BlackMason.)
For the OP: I think you need to have a little sit down with yourself and find out the reason for your friendships. Friends do have differences but is that a reason to end a friendship? The nature of the differences is important of course and you'd need to consider if these particular differences are a reason to end things.

Just for fun though you should ask your friends if they're against the liberties that women enjoy today. If you read the bible and objectively describe the circumstances they were in, they were very much second class citizens. The bible even has verses that state that a woman must not be in a position above that of a man's. Today women are CEOs and the world hasn't yet exploded. What is the real difference between women being liberated and gays? Please ask them that. Could it be that humans have the ability to discern right from wrong without the need for direction from a god? We're a young species and we're learning as we go along. Change is frightening but it's no reason to hit the self destruct button.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
[+] 2 users Like BlackMason's post
06-07-2015, 06:22 AM
(04-07-2015 09:54 AM)ThatAtheistChick Wrote:  Doesn't cutting out the bigots make me a hypocrite? They have the liberty to be bigots.

Technically, you unfriending people doesn't impact their liberty or freedoms one bit. They can still continue to be bigots whether or not they're your friends on Facebook.

That being said, if I have friends on FB that get too political or religious in a way that bothers me, I tend to set them as acquaintances. Far less of their stuff makes it to my feed, that way.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
06-07-2015, 06:31 AM
(04-07-2015 09:54 AM)ThatAtheistChick Wrote:  Doesn't cutting out the bigots make me a hypocrite? They have the liberty to be bigots.

Actually now that I've thought about it for 3 seconds, you are a bigot for cutting out someone you disagree with. A bigot is someone that refuses to accept another's position among other things. You refuse to accept their bigotry. The question then lies in whose bigotry is justified. If you have made attempts at showing them their bigotry and they yielded not, then your bigotry is justified.

But this is just a 3 second consideration. Take it or leave it.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
06-07-2015, 06:48 AM
(04-07-2015 09:34 AM)ThatAtheistChick Wrote:  So I had a horrible deconversion experience but for some reason I did not hold this against Christianity. I knew it was the disgusting behavior of a few and that proved to me there is no Holy Spirit. The rest was a house of cards that just tumbled down. I still had a healthy respect for a lot of my friends......until gay marriage became legal. I am an idealist and fierce defender of human rights and liberty. Watching my friends freak out and declare that giving my gay friends equal rights is the end of America turns my stomach. I have seen posts on FB that equal rights for pedophiles is next. A friend of mine for twelve years (former alcoholic who walked on the wild side before her conversion) unfriended me when I used the rainbow profile. I feel like I went to bed believing I was in the North fighting slavery and woke up in the South. I have cried over this. I'm seeing my friends in a whole new light and it ain't pretty. Frankly I don't know that I can continue to be friends with such bigots. I'm in a small town in the Northern Bible Belt and my atheism is still in the closet. Moving is not an option otherwise I would. I hate mean people!

It can be very tough seeing people you admired and sometimes look up to have such a nasty hatred toward something as innocent as love. I know the feeling oh to well. When I came out as an atheist to my parents my dad told me "I would've rather you tell me you are gay". To this day I have no idea what the hell that means but it is rather fucked up. Because in his mind gay is really bad and atheism is so far below that.

I think what hurts the most when someone you know and love is such a bigot is the total disregard for logic in their thinking. They would be well versed in most topics and very well spoken then out of nowhere "God hates fags and the world is ending!!!" Makes you really question how people actually are.
[+] 1 user Likes MrKrispy601's post
06-07-2015, 07:05 AM
I came damn close to unfriending my best craziest theist friend this week. Damn close.

The trigger was him crowing over the 500 injured and two dead from the powder explosion in a Taiwanese water park. The reason for his crowing? He assumed the the "colour festival" was a gay pride event and somehow decided that God's way of punishing America for the gay marriage decision was to kill Taiwanese children.

Fuck that monster. Fuck him. If anyone here has a more morally bankrupt experience to relay I owe you a beer.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post