Losing Respect for Christian Friends

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2015, 07:26 AM
RE: Losing Respect for Christian Friends
Hafnof - Totally agree. Fuck that guy, he's a monster.

However, I think it came close when my mega-religious family started throwing ideas about why God had hit us with hurricanes Katrina and Rita, back-to-back. It's not because we're in coastal Louisiana, of course. But one of the more popular memes going around was how Katrina was sent to punish the wicked, gay-loving town of New Orleans... in the old school, Sodom and Gomorrah style!

I did not win popularity points for pointing out that the only part of NOLA that didn't flood was the gay section of the "French Quarter" (we call it the Vieux Carré - the "old quarter", since it was actually built by the Spanish before the French took it over and built on the lowlands around it... when Americans got hold of it in the Louisiana Purchase, they were too dumb to read the french words "vieux carré, so it became the "french" quarter), so obviously either God loves gays or He has really really really bad aim.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
06-07-2015, 07:29 AM
(06-07-2015 06:31 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  
(04-07-2015 09:54 AM)ThatAtheistChick Wrote:  Doesn't cutting out the bigots make me a hypocrite? They have the liberty to be bigots.

Actually now that I've thought about it for 3 seconds, you are a bigot for cutting out someone you disagree with. A bigot is someone that refuses to accept another's position among other things. You refuse to accept their bigotry. The question then lies in whose bigotry is justified. If you have made attempts at showing them their bigotry and they yielded not, then your bigotry is justified.

But this is just a 3 second consideration. Take it or leave it.

Isn't bigot "a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas"? I see no bigotry in not accepting prejudice.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
06-07-2015, 09:26 AM
(06-07-2015 07:05 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I came damn close to unfriending my best craziest theist friend this week. Damn close.

The trigger was him crowing over the 500 injured and two dead from the powder explosion in a Taiwanese water park. The reason for his crowing? He assumed the the "colour festival" was a gay pride event and somehow decided that God's way of punishing America for the gay marriage decision was to kill Taiwanese children.

Fuck that monster. Fuck him. If anyone here has a more morally bankrupt experience to relay I owe you a beer.

Came damn close? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-07-2015, 10:18 AM
(05-07-2015 04:54 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  How come when I post a long post in a thread, with any kind of actual emotional content, no one ever responds?

(05-07-2015 10:02 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  ...
I can't count the number of times I've put up a post I think rockets the ball out of the park and found the ball instead dead at my feet: no response nor even likes -

Consider

Methinks it's about bonding... y'know, human stuff. Yeuch!

Sometimes it's about getting know a little about each other before getting all deep and meaningful. Perhaps some are not used to too much openness too soon (not that there are any rules about that on TTA or indeed, in real life).

Sometimes it's about engaging in other people's rants or 'home runs' (if I have the correct sporting analogy (Rounders, right?)) even if they are obviously inferior to yours. Or maybe just giving out 'likes' to show appreciation.

Sometimes, and probably more often, it's about limited attention ...

SQUIRREL!

Wink

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
06-07-2015, 10:40 AM
^^^ Or about not ~happening~ to be online at the appropriate time.

Posts take time to mature and ripen before they emit the aroma of "please, come comment" to other posters. You can't hurry the process.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
07-07-2015, 06:31 AM
(06-07-2015 09:26 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-07-2015 07:05 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I came damn close to unfriending my best craziest theist friend this week. Damn close.

Came damn close? Consider

I don't generally see the point in defriending any more than I see the point in putting someone on ignore here. In this one's case my slightly less bigoted and sometimes unhinged mother in law tends to agree with him in things so I like to keep an eye on him. She has been committed previously and it does my wife's mental health no good when the mother in law goes off the rails.

I've settled for very publicly reminding him of his action whenever he states an opinion on same sex marriage.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
08-07-2015, 05:36 PM
(05-07-2015 04:54 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  How come when I post a long post in a thread, with any kind of actual emotional content, no one ever responds?

I'm starting to feel like the emotional equivalent of a runaway train with a giant plow on the front.

Am I the Snow Piercer train?

Crap, now I gotta Netflix that movie. Sad
I am so sorry. I started to respond and got sidetracked. My bad. Please forgive me.

I also am so sorry for all of the crap you have gone through and are still going through. Our country failed you and I hate that. I have never been in jail so I cannot relate. At least you are being exonerated and given another chance.

My husband was accused of murdering his first wife. He didn't do it but by the time his name was cleared (years later) it was too late. The community (of 1,000) had already completely rejected him. He ended up moving. Until - if - the case is actually solved, his name and reputation is still destroyed. Very sad. He was a highly respected community leader prior to this. He lost his wife, his career and his support network all at once. I know what that did to him. I can't even imagine how you must feel.
[+] 2 users Like ThatAtheistChick's post
08-07-2015, 05:42 PM
(06-07-2015 06:31 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  
(04-07-2015 09:54 AM)ThatAtheistChick Wrote:  Doesn't cutting out the bigots make me a hypocrite? They have the liberty to be bigots.

Actually now that I've thought about it for 3 seconds, you are a bigot for cutting out someone you disagree with. A bigot is someone that refuses to accept another's position among other things. You refuse to accept their bigotry. The question then lies in whose bigotry is justified. If you have made attempts at showing them their bigotry and they yielded not, then your bigotry is justified.

It's a tough one. Am I a bigot for not liking bigots? Could I be friends with someone who is active in the KKK? Should I?

All it takes for evil to prevail is for good to stand by in silence. Edmund Burke
08-07-2015, 06:35 PM

I don't know why others didn't respond but I read your post several times and chose not to respond because it would be too easy to tread on very personal ground. I could have just said, "I'm sorry that happened to you," but that would be trite. I spent 40 years as a criminal defense lawyer in a "justice" system that is shameful. My inclination is to ask you all kinds of questions about your convictions and how you came to be exonerated but you may not want to tell us. In my last years in practice, I did quite a bit of work on some Texas death penalty cases and I also worked on the ABA Task Force for the Guantanamo Detainees. You have a lot of kindred spirits in Gitmo. Hundreds of people were detained there for up to 14 years without a goddamned shred of evidence against them. Many are still there and some are there even though the tribunal has ordered their release. The government can't seem to find the guy with the key to open their fucking cells. [A little sarcasm.] I have seen more than my share of lives ruined by the system. Just know that I believe that you were wrongfully convicted and I sympathize with you.
[+] 4 users Like Black Eagle's post
09-07-2015, 01:15 AM
(08-07-2015 05:42 PM)ThatAtheistChick Wrote:  
(06-07-2015 06:31 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  Actually now that I've thought about it for 3 seconds, you are a bigot for cutting out someone you disagree with. A bigot is someone that refuses to accept another's position among other things. You refuse to accept their bigotry. The question then lies in whose bigotry is justified. If you have made attempts at showing them their bigotry and they yielded not, then your bigotry is justified.

It's a tough one. Am I a bigot for not liking bigots? Could I be friends with someone who is active in the KKK? Should I?

All it takes for evil to prevail is for good to stand by in silence. Edmund Burke

I see nothing tough in it - bigots choose to be bigots so what is unfair in not liking them? I to don't like people who try to deny others same rights or those who support denying same rights. I see nothing bigoted in this.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post