Losing Respect for Christian Friends

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2015, 01:50 AM
RE: Losing Respect for Christian Friends
I try not to have Christian friends. I do have Christian colleagues and students. However I see those relationships in a different light.

In Australia it is quite easy not to have Christian friends.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2015, 05:44 AM
I deleted my Facebook literally days before gay marriage became legal! Phew! That was a close one.

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 5 users Like LadyWallFlower's post
10-07-2015, 09:10 AM
(05-07-2015 09:19 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Did I mention I hate it here? I wouldn't even be considering KC if not for her, and the fact that it's tough for me to leave MO until this courtroom drama plays itself out. The ignorance and bigotry of these people actively disgusts me.

Hang in there, and look for the gems that even such places have.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
11-07-2015, 09:29 AM
BlackEagle - thank you for your comments. I waited to respond because you're quite right, it's very personal and I am fairly sensitive, though I am deeply grateful to the people who express sympathy and/or support.

Thank you for the work you did on behalf of those who could not fight for themselves. Even our own Justice Department estimates that 10% of the people in prison are wrongly convicted, or convicted based on faulty "Due Process" that simply cannot be overturned because of how skewed the appellate system is in favor of upholding a conviction upon the most tenuous of threads. I wish I could tell you about the case, but because I have a 2nd, identical-and-related, one still under appeal (and am on parole for that, still) and because I am in the process of suing over the first one, I just can't talk about it without risking my legal proceedings (however slight the chance). My attorney specifically warned me not to do so.

I worked as a "Jailhouse Lawyer" while I was in, partly because of the expertise I had to develop in order to assist my overworked, limited-resourced, and underfunded Public Defenders in trying to stop the railroading from happening, but also partly as a survival mechanism in the hell that is America's prison system. I never took a dime for my work, even though most if not all other Jailhouse Lawyers charge high fees of their fellow prisoners for doing so, because I only took cases of extreme civil rights and/or constitutional violations, and I consider my military-entrance-oath, to "defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic", to still be valid. I got a great many people new trials and/or reduced sentences, or got them past hurdles that are in place to keep prisoner lawsuits from proceeding against a system that wronged them. It would horrify most people to even start to learn how bad it has gotten in this country, partly as a result of the Drug War's erosion of the Constitutional protections and partly because of the politically expedient "tough on crime" rhetoric that got so many jerks elected.

Now I do not condone crime in any way, but that 10% figure from the Justice Department sounds about right to me, based on my experiences. Despite the popular TV/film trope of prisoners always saying they were wrongly accused, it's actually deeply unpopular on the inside for someone to express the sentiment that they are not guilty, so those who still stand on that statement tend to actually BE innocent... or, much more commonly, convicted of something far more serious than what they actually did, due to the prosecutorial practice of "the shotgun method", in which they over-charge and throw numerous accusations in front of the jurors in order to "see what sticks." (For the rest of you who don't already know, it's called the "shotgun" method because they know that it only takes one or two "pellets" to "kill" the Defendant, so firing a huge blast pretty much ensures a conviction, since the jurors see the huge list of charges and assume He Must Have Done SOMETHING.) America's "Christian" culture ensures that it is all too-easy to attain a jury packed with people in love with the idea of vengeance against "sinners", and the lack of good training in logic or skeptical thinking means you can "snow" them over with the most anti-scientific claptrap by just using your position as The State and some loud, judgmental prosecutorial rhetoric, in order to get them to ignore the defense experts. TV helps with that, as well, since on those fantasy law-and-order shows, it is the defense attorney who is the scumbag, not the professional politicians in the Judge and District Attorney's chairs, and the scientist who defends the Accused is simply another scumbag by extension. It was truly horrifying to watch in-action. Sad

Many prisoners like to gripe about how they were "sold out" by their Public Defenders, and in some cases it was indeed true, since even paid lawyers are known to "trade favors" with the DA, sending an impoverished accused person to prison so a high-paying client can walk free later and help their career. But I pointed out that most Public Defenders are good and dedicated people who simply are overmatched by the way the System is designed, and the almost-limitless resources and influence of both the State and the media (who are always on the side of sensationalism, and know and exploit the public's love of vengeance) to bury an Accused. It is simply impossible for any PubDef, with the kinds of case-loads they all have, to give the full attention each case deserves, based on the number of hours in the day and the need to maintain sanity. Yet to the person who is wrongly charged (or over-charged), each case is deeply personal, so it seems like personal bias or treason. So again, I say: thank you for your service to the Constitution of the United States.

The Gitmo stuff truly horrifies me, as well. Even if every one of those guys is exactly as guilty and dangerous as the government claimed, what we did to them by circumventing the rights for which we are supposed to stand was an order of magnitude worse than any terrorist action ever committed against the USA. That's bin Laden's true victory: he only killed as many Americans as an average month of driving cars kills us... but he got us to betray everything that we supposedly stand for, and got us to permanently ruin our reputation (whatever was left of it, after the things we've done internationally on behalf of American corporations and our anti-communist dirty dealings; see Chomsky's writings if you want to know about all that!) and standing on the globe.

It is child's play to demonstrate that our System discriminates horribly against the poor, minorities, and those who are not part of the dominant WASP culture, and hands out far more time than is necessary to punish and/or inhibit crime. It never dawns on people that America's 7.25 to 1 ratio of incarceration per capita compared to the rest of Western Civilization (and indeed with everyone except Russia, who has about 2/3rds our rate) is out of synch with the rest of the First World, and means that we are either 1) by far the most wicked populace on the planet or 2) committing an ongoing atrocity, via the power of the State, against our own people.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
16-07-2015, 02:20 PM
(06-07-2015 07:29 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(06-07-2015 06:31 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  Actually now that I've thought about it for 3 seconds, you are a bigot for cutting out someone you disagree with. A bigot is someone that refuses to accept another's position among other things. You refuse to accept their bigotry. The question then lies in whose bigotry is justified. If you have made attempts at showing them their bigotry and they yielded not, then your bigotry is justified.

But this is just a 3 second consideration. Take it or leave it.

Isn't bigot "a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas"? I see no bigotry in not accepting prejudice.

Are you blind?

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."