Losing my Mojo

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
04-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Losing my Mojo
I find, recently, that I just really can't put up with theists anymore. I built up this type of intolerance for purely stupid people a long time ago, I can't even pretend to take them seriously anymore... 'Spose I'm an asshole.

Anyhow, with theists I am hitting a wall. Whenever I find myself in a debate I find myself repeating answers to the same questions, debunking theory after theory with basic logic and philosophy, and yet they'll go on their merry way without thinking about anything any further. Some put on the "oh, that's an interesting point!" front but I know that in that brain of theirs they are discarding it and won't give it any critical thought... There are always the super defensive people but we all know about them already...

So, have you guys ever reached the point where it just no longer seems like it is worth it?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2010, 10:11 PM
RE: Losing my Mojo
Yeah, but I always come crawling back. It's a great ego boost really. Although as of late, I feel as though I'm watching re-runs of the same TV show. It gets pretty repetitive, although it never quite loses all of its entertainment value.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
05-05-2010, 07:02 AM

I think this is someplace I differ from many here. I rarely if ever get in coversations with Christians about their Christianity. Really unless they initiate I won't even bother sharing my personal beliefs. If they do ask and I tell them, I make no attempt to enter into debate. If I'm asked to pray for someone or whatnot I just say "you'll be in my thoughts". Basically I have zero interest in converting anyone. To me the doubt and discovery has to be arrived at on you're own terms. Now being a scientist thankfully I haven't run into many issues where my faith or lack of has caused any difficulties in my life, this I'm thankful for. However my wife works for a woman who is deeply Christian, but doesn't hard sell so we exist happily talking about other topics. I guess I just feel my beliefs are personal and so are yours. This is my position by no means the right position.
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2010, 07:29 AM

I haven't lost my mojo due to repetition or boredom. But I am finding it slipping away for another reason...multiple sclerosis messing up my cognitive abilities (damn it). I've been an atheist for over 30 years and have driven my sister and brother crazy over the years...and loved it. The occasional non-family christian has entered my sights during that time and if needed I've been harsh. Now I'm not put in the situation very often. I don't walk around with a big "A" on my forehead looking for a confrontation, however I don't walk away from one either. For me it depends on the situation. If someone is aggressive I am likely to be aggressive back. However, I do have to pick my fights a little more carefully now.
05-05-2010, 08:53 AM
(05-05-2010 07:02 AM)Dregs Wrote:  I think this is someplace I differ from many here. I rarely if ever get in coversations with Christians about their Christianity. Really unless they initiate I won't even bother sharing my personal beliefs.

Yeah, I'm that way as well. In real life, anyway. Online, not so much. Tongue

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
05-05-2010, 09:34 AM

(05-05-2010 08:53 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(05-05-2010 07:02 AM)Dregs Wrote:  I think this is someplace I differ from many here. I rarely if ever get in coversations with Christians about their Christianity. Really unless they initiate I won't even bother sharing my personal beliefs.

Yeah, I'm that way as well. In real life, anyway. Online, not so much. Tongue

Absolutely, online is my outlet. I just really understand the Christian perspective, and there are two types of Christian IMO (yes I'm oversimplifying). The first if the born again type who is deeply rooted. Yes, fun to argue with, but really not worth the time as rational logic is not important to this type and that's where our argument is rooted. Good for laugh though if that's your thing. The other is a Christian that will hear all your arguments and even completely see your logic, but deep down they need their belief no matter how flimsy. The most likely don't use the Bible as an ultimate rulebook maybe haven't even ever read it, they don't follow all their particular faiths "rules" (Catholics), but they NEED the support of their church community, and they need belief for their sanity. These folks don't bother me in the slightest, and their really already deeply closeted agnostics anyway so I leave them be.
05-05-2010, 10:03 AM
I don't really get in with people offline either, but when I do I have much more rational conversations. It's the online people who completely disregard everything and seem like a waste of time for me...

05-05-2010, 07:33 PM

Green, don't worry. You'll get your mojo back, baby, yeah!! (Austin Powers = Epic)

But yeah I get what you mean. Sometimes I come across people, like what you described. Most of the time they will dodge my questions/answers, and just go way off topic. But then I just have to let it go and laugh a little at some of the questions/answers they tell me.

Cheers,
-Sparky Big Grin
07-05-2010, 08:47 PM

In the face of poor logic I say...

Pin them to the floor and tear their throat out.

When I see it, it is one of the things that I do pursue rather doggedly; a fault of mine one might say.
10-05-2010, 12:36 AM

Often Theist arguments are not even about theology.

I seriously doubt they all go to bed at night with 100% thought that God created everything, science is wrong etc.

Most of the time they are trolling you. It's hard to understand why they would do this, yet their are assholes on both sides of the argument that just like to piss each other off.

My suggestion is to just ignore these arguments, they don't believe in their own arguments they just want to annoy you. If someone chooses to be ignorant, how can you enlighten them?