Losing my dog

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2017, 05:26 PM
Losing my dog
I lost my mum in december. Yesterday I lost my dog to cancer. It was my first dog. Actually, it was my mums old dog. When it became obvious that she could not care for it anymore, the dog moved in with me and my family. I knew the dog and I liked the dog, and I had promised her that I would take care of Happy if and when she couldn't. So when the dementia came creeping, a family of three became a family of four.

[Image: rEd8ehI.jpg]
The Duchess of Snout. A Softcoated Wheaten Terrier called Happy

I never thought of myself as a dogperson. But caring for the dog for almost two years has created patterns in my life, that I now can't live without. I am completely devastated. It's all darkness, not a ray of light anywhere. I am reduced to a crying and sobbing wreck of man. I feel pain and sorrow like I never felt before.

And I shamefully have to admit that losing my dog was worse than losing my mum. By far.

The one, true, and real Harvey

Bene vixit, bene qui latuit
René Descartes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Harvey's post
25-05-2017, 05:30 PM
RE: Losing my dog
Oh, I am so very sorry Sad Losing a beloved pet is so very hard. It sounds like you gave him a wonderful two years.

Many hugs to you!

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post
25-05-2017, 05:35 PM
(25-05-2017 05:26 PM)Harvey Wrote:  And I shamefully have to admit that losing my dog was worse than losing my mum. By far.

I think maybe it's that you've now lost a connection to her too? Don't beat yourself up over it, our emotions are all over the place when we lose a beloved friend.

You gave him a good life. It's what any dog would like. A loving home. I link you to an oatmeal comic, which is very doggy and has a kinda Sadcryface ending.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
25-05-2017, 05:42 PM
I am very sorry. I lost two last year and I feel their absence every day. Sad

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
25-05-2017, 06:03 PM
(25-05-2017 05:26 PM)Harvey Wrote:  I lost my mum in december. Yesterday I lost my dog to cancer. It was my first dog. Actually, it was my mums old dog. When it became obvious that she could not care for it anymore, the dog moved in with me and my family. I knew the dog and I liked the dog, and I had promised her that I would take care of Happy if and when she couldn't. So when the dementia came creeping, a family of three became a family of four.

[Image: rEd8ehI.jpg]
The Duchess of Snout. A Softcoated Wheaten Terrier called Happy

I never thought of myself as a dogperson. But caring for the dog for almost two years has created patterns in my life, that I now can't live without. I am completely devastated. It's all darkness, not a ray of light anywhere. I am reduced to a crying and sobbing wreck of man. I feel pain and sorrow like I never felt before.

And I shamefully have to admit that losing my dog was worse than losing my mum. By far.

Losing Happy just finalized the loss of your mom. It's interconnected.

Happy's departure was just the catalyst for you to let your grief flow. Grief will always flow eventually. Let it happen, flow with it. It is good for you, even if it makes you think you are going nuts.

It's a chemical process you can't control except for short periods of time. It will come in waves until your brain stops processing the empty slots.

It's best to just let it happen, so it can resolve.

And - there is no shame in finding a special bond with an animal that is not human. Quite the opposite. It's something to be proud of.

Heart

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
25-05-2017, 06:12 PM
Losing my dog
I don't know what it is about dogs but they can get in your heart like nothing else can.

I'm sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you feel.
[+] 2 users Like KUSA's post
25-05-2017, 06:12 PM
Sorry to see this. It's always sad to lose the ones we care for. I agree, you are probably looking at the dog as the last real living link to your mother. Hug
25-05-2017, 06:28 PM
Hug I wish I had the words to make this easier for you.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
25-05-2017, 06:40 PM
Harvey

I'm so sorry man

Looks like the coolest little dude

I understand it makes you so sad. You don't have to feel guilty about how you process grief or what makes you grieve. It's incredible how deeply some of us love our dogs. Some people might think it's ridiculous but your relationship with your dog can just be simply gigantic. I don't want to go overboard trying to explain it because it won't help anyway. I get it though, for whatever that's worth. Much love.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
25-05-2017, 06:44 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. *hugs* A much loved little dog that's for sure.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi