Losing my dog

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2017, 07:44 PM
RE: Losing my dog
Hug Sorry for your lost pet, it's never easy, nor should it be with the love you had for him. Sad

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2017, 08:11 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2017 10:03 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(25-05-2017 05:26 PM)Harvey Wrote:  I lost my mum in december. Yesterday I lost my dog to cancer. It was my first dog. Actually, it was my mums old dog. When it became obvious that she could not care for it anymore, the dog moved in with me and my family. I knew the dog and I liked the dog, and I had promised her that I would take care of Happy if and when she couldn't. So when the dementia came creeping, a family of three became a family of four.

[Image: rEd8ehI.jpg]
The Duchess of Snout. A Softcoated Wheaten Terrier called Happy

I never thought of myself as a dogperson. But caring for the dog for almost two years has created patterns in my life, that I now can't live without. I am completely devastated. It's all darkness, not a ray of light anywhere. I am reduced to a crying and sobbing wreck of man. I feel pain and sorrow like I never felt before.

And I shamefully have to admit that losing my dog was worse than losing my mum. By far.

I can relate to all this.

Last July my mother in law became ill. She had just bought a fancy new Honda Civic fourteen days earlier. By August she diagnosed with terminal cancer. Our phone rang on December 28 saying she had passed.

On January 2 of this year, my dog who seemed perfectly fine suddenly wasn't. I rushed him to the emergency vet with my son.

A few hours later, there was an IV inserted and I was holding him as he died. Even now it still breaks my heart when I pause to think about it.

I loved my mother in law...but the dog....he was here and a chunk of my heart died with him. I miss our evening "sniffs" (walks to normal people). I miss like crazy his ways. How bouncy and excited he was when we came home. Even if we gone for a short time.

I didn't cry when my mother in law died....none of us did...but we alll cried when the dog died. I never thought it could hurt so badly.

I get it. Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
25-05-2017, 09:21 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2017 10:04 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(25-05-2017 08:11 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(25-05-2017 05:26 PM)Harvey Wrote:  I lost my mum in december. Yesterday I lost my dog to cancer. It was my first dog. Actually, it was my mums old dog. When it became obvious that she could not care for it anymore, the dog moved in with me and my family. I knew the dog and I liked the dog, and I had promised her that I would take care of Happy if and when she couldn't. So when the dementia came creeping, a family of three became a family of four.

I never thought of myself as a dogperson. But caring for the dog for almost two years has created patterns in my life, that I now can't live without. I am completely devastated. It's all darkness, not a ray of light anywhere. I am reduced to a crying and sobbing wreck of man. I feel pain and sorrow like I never felt before.

And I shamefully have to admit that losing my dog was worse than losing my mum. By far.

Last July my mother in law became ill. She had just bought a fancy new Honda Civic fourteen days earlier. By August she diagnosed with terminal cancer. Our phone rang on December 28 saying she had passed.

On January 2 of this year, my dog who seemed perfectly fine suddenly wasn't. I rushed him to the emergency vet with my son.

A few hours later, there was an IV inserted and I was holding him as he died. Even now it still breaks my heart when I pause to think about it.

I loved my mother in law...but the dog....he was here and a chunk of my heart died with him. I miss our evening "sniffs" (walks to normal people). I miss like crazy his ways. How bouncy and excited he was when we came home. Even if we gone for a short time.

I didn't cry when my mother in law died....none of us did...but we alll cried when the dog died. I never thought it could hurt so badly.

I get it. Hug

Hugs to all who have lost their dogs. Hug I still mourn for a dog that had to be put down 25 years ago. My sweet Domino. I just loved that dog. Heart

Harvey, I'm so sorry. Heart

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
25-05-2017, 09:23 PM
Very sorry for your loss. (I've been there.)
31-05-2017, 04:54 AM

I never thought of myself as a dogperson. But caring for the dog for almost two years has created patterns in my life, that I now can't live without. I am completely devastated. It's all
darkness, not a ray of light anywhere. I am reduced to a crying and sobbing wreck of man. I feel pain and sorrow like I never felt before.

And I shamefully have to admit that losing my
dog was worse than losing my mum. By far.
I overcame my grief of losing my dogs by getting new ones that needed me. I wasen't replacing the ones that passed away by any means but my new dogs are a great distraction from my sorrow.
31-05-2017, 08:27 AM
Yeah, I had to put my old german shepherd down in May 2015, due to degenerative myleopathy and cancer. That was a very hard thing to do and I still get sad and miss him whenever I think about him. I think we bond much more closely with our dogs and other pets than humans because they love us totally altruistically.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
31-05-2017, 08:31 AM
(25-05-2017 08:11 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I loved my mother in law...but the dog....he was here and a chunk of my heart died with him. I miss our evening "sniffs" (walks to normal people). I miss like crazy his ways. How bouncy and excited he was when we came home. Even if we gone for a short time.

I get it. Hug

It seems like it comes in two phases. There's the shock and grief you feel at the initial loss, and the second is when you arrive back at home and you reflexively call the dog for his evening "sniff" or to retire to your bedroom for the night, then you're hit by the realization that that's never going to happen again.......that's probably the worst; you never really seem to get over that.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
31-05-2017, 09:22 AM
[Image: RB_Poem_Gate.jpg]

~ When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

~ All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

~ They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

~ You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

"Rainbow Bridge" Author unknown

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
31-05-2017, 09:57 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss, friend. It's so so tough to lose a loved one, and our dogs are loved ones. Time will help, but you will always miss your furry pal, and that's okay.

I miss my Luke. It's been just a couple of months now, and I still sometimes think I see him out of the corner of my eye- laying in one of his favorite dog beds, mistake a rug or something on the floor for him, see a shadow in the dark and think it's him, etc. But it doesn't sting like it used to.

Eventually, when one of our other 2 dogs dies (which might be coming up soon Sad), we will probably adopt a rescue pup or something as a companion for our youngest guy. He needs a playmate. Anyway, maybe that's something that would help you eventually.

Best wishes and hugs Hug
31-05-2017, 10:02 AM
(25-05-2017 08:11 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

I get it. Hug

Reading these two posts made me tear up. Imagining others having those same feelings of shock, denial, fear, guilt, sadness, etc wash over you when you see them after they pass. It's awful, and I can still feel it all when I think of that instant I could see that Luke had died.