Losing my faith and becoming an atheist/agnostic

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
16-09-2015, 02:16 PM
Losing my faith and becoming an atheist/agnostic
Hi everyone so this is my first time ever posting on this site or any atheist forum site for that matter. Like it says above, I am currently struggling because day by day I have been losing my faith in Christianity and just God. My whole life I've been raised Christian and a few months ago, I slowly started to see the flaws in religion period (I'm 20 btw). I'm very confused because a part of me still wants to hold onto what I know and what I feel safe and comfortable with, but another part of me knows that this isn't realistic and that I'm drifting farther and farther away. It feels unfamiliar because I never thought I'd doubt my religion or my belief in God, but it's getting to the point where I don't even know if I believe there is a God anymore. One part of me doesn't want to completely ex out the possibility of there being something divine, but another part of me knows that the stories sound so ridiculous and there are way too many things pointing to evolution. So I just need some opinions and some support because right now I feel confused but I'm also sure of how I feel; and that's that I want to step away from religion completely. Is anyone else familiar with this feeling? How do I rip off the security blanket of religion and God?HuhHuh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like xastrogasmx's post
16-09-2015, 02:19 PM
RE: Losing my faith and becoming an atheist/agnostic
Welcome. It's not easy giving up and realizing you're good without god. For me it took much longer than it should have.

You could start by listening to some of Seth's podcasts.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

16-09-2015, 02:26 PM
Welcome! Yes, very familiar with that feeling. The best thing to do is to educate yourself as much as you can by reading scholarly books and articles and watching documentaries, debates, podcasts, and come together with like-minded people. I think Bart Ehrman's The Bible: A Historical and Literary Introduction is a good place to start. I would also purchase (or read online) the Skeptic's Annotated Bible along with a scholarly book on bible commentaries.
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
16-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Welcome.

For many of us the separation from religion and belief was difficult and traumatic so we understand and can empathize.

It is a step by step process. For me the more I looked for answers to reaffirm my faith the less I found. I can say that many of us here know more about religion, scripture, sacraments and dogma that most professing adherents. We dug deeply and what we found was lacking.

I can tell you that once I came through on the other side and became comfortable with my non-belief I became a better person. Knowing that whatever you do during your brief time here on Earth is all there is, life becomes more precious and takes on a sharper and more focused outlook. Everything becomes sweeter and at the same time more poignant.

Ask away, commiserate, rant and rejoice here. You are among peers.

FC

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
16-09-2015, 02:46 PM
(16-09-2015 02:16 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  Hi everyone so this is my first time ever posting on this site or any atheist forum site for that matter. Like it says above, I am currently struggling because day by day I have been losing my faith in Christianity and just God. My whole life I've been raised Christian and a few months ago, I slowly started to see the flaws in religion period (I'm 20 btw). I'm very confused because a part of me still wants to hold onto what I know and what I feel safe and comfortable with, but another part of me knows that this isn't realistic and that I'm drifting farther and farther away. It feels unfamiliar because I never thought I'd doubt my religion or my belief in God, but it's getting to the point where I don't even know if I believe there is a God anymore. One part of me doesn't want to completely ex out the possibility of there being something divine, but another part of me knows that the stories sound so ridiculous and there are way too many things pointing to evolution. So I just need some opinions and some support because right now I feel confused but I'm also sure of how I feel; and that's that I want to step away from religion completely. Is anyone else familiar with this feeling? How do I rip off the security blanket of religion and God?HuhHuh

Welcome, welcome to your first step down the path of freedom, freedom from the three Fs of religion; Fiction, Forgery, and Fantasy. Many of us have gone through this same stage. You will be amazed how clear the world becomes once you remove the blindfold of faith. There area lot of resources here, please browse away. Check under the Atheism topic, there are some sticky threads at top that have a ton of info. If you have any lingering doubts, please let me know. I have been at this for awhile, and I am an ex-christian, so I am familiar with the process. If I don't know the answer to your question, I am sure I can point you to someone who does. Welcome to sanity.

Remember these facts:

Faith - Is the belief in something without evidence.

Delusion: Is an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder. A belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary.

Religion - Is the embracement of delusion.

Glad you found us.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
16-09-2015, 02:58 PM
Hi Xastrogasmx, I'm glad you are here. For a helpful media list, a good place to start is right at your fingertips. There are a couple recovery from religion and de-conversion threads you might check out, too

This community is a good place to move at your own pace while you figure things out. You'll learn about yourself and get multiple views from all over the globe. You really are not alone.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
16-09-2015, 03:02 PM
Welcome!

Glad you decided to post. Thumbsup

As has been said already, you'll find plenty of people here who know what you're going through. I've been through it myself. I was raised in a devout christian home and I struggled with losing my faith for many years before I was able to say the word atheist. I wasn't sure what I was, I knew I didn't buy all the stories and non-explanations that were being handed to me, but I desperately wanted to feel that connection to god like all my peers claimed to have.

It never came, so I went.

This place is awesome. We have a some of the best people I know on here and I've made a few friendships that extend past these threads. Please, don't be shy with your questions. From philosophical to quantum physics, we have experts across the board. And a few people that think they're experts. Tongue

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
16-09-2015, 03:05 PM
(16-09-2015 02:19 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Welcome. It's not easy giving up and realizing you're good without god. For me it took much longer than it should have.

You could start by listening to some of Seth's podcasts.

Seth's Podcasts? Is that on YouTube or something?
16-09-2015, 03:06 PM
(16-09-2015 02:26 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Welcome! Yes, very familiar with that feeling. The best thing to do is to educate yourself as much as you can by reading scholarly books and articles and watching documentaries, debates, podcasts, and come together with like-minded people. I think Bart Ehrman's The Bible: A Historical and Literary Introduction is a good place to start. I would also purchase (or read online) the Skeptic's Annotated Bible along with a scholarly book on bible commentaries.

Oh wow, thank you! I'm definitely going to look into that, I've heard reading books about this can help.
[+] 1 user Likes xastrogasmx's post
16-09-2015, 03:07 PM
(16-09-2015 02:30 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Welcome.

For many of us the separation from religion and belief was difficult and traumatic so we understand and can empathize.

It is a step by step process. For me the more I looked for answers to reaffirm my faith the less I found. I can say that many of us here know more about religion, scripture, sacraments and dogma that most professing adherents. We dug deeply and what we found was lacking.

I can tell you that once I came through on the other side and became comfortable with my non-belief I became a better person. Knowing that whatever you do during your brief time here on Earth is all there is, life becomes more precious and takes on a sharper and more focused outlook. Everything becomes sweeter and at the same time more poignant.

Ask away, commiserate, rant and rejoice here. You are among peers.

FC

Thank you, so far it hasn't been too traumatic but it definitely feels very different. Not depending on something divine.