Losing my faith and becoming an atheist/agnostic

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
16-09-2015, 03:08 PM
RE: Losing my faith and becoming an atheist/agnostic
(16-09-2015 02:46 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(16-09-2015 02:16 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  Hi everyone so this is my first time ever posting on this site or any atheist forum site for that matter. Like it says above, I am currently struggling because day by day I have been losing my faith in Christianity and just God. My whole life I've been raised Christian and a few months ago, I slowly started to see the flaws in religion period (I'm 20 btw). I'm very confused because a part of me still wants to hold onto what I know and what I feel safe and comfortable with, but another part of me knows that this isn't realistic and that I'm drifting farther and farther away. It feels unfamiliar because I never thought I'd doubt my religion or my belief in God, but it's getting to the point where I don't even know if I believe there is a God anymore. One part of me doesn't want to completely ex out the possibility of there being something divine, but another part of me knows that the stories sound so ridiculous and there are way too many things pointing to evolution. So I just need some opinions and some support because right now I feel confused but I'm also sure of how I feel; and that's that I want to step away from religion completely. Is anyone else familiar with this feeling? How do I rip off the security blanket of religion and God?HuhHuh

Welcome, welcome to your first step down the path of freedom, freedom from the three Fs of religion; Fiction, Forgery, and Fantasy. Many of us have gone through this same stage. You will be amazed how clear the world becomes once you remove the blindfold of faith. There area lot of resources here, please browse away. Check under the Atheism topic, there are some sticky threads at top that have a ton of info. If you have any lingering doubts, please let me know. I have been at this for awhile, and I am an ex-christian, so I am familiar with the process. If I don't know the answer to your question, I am sure I can point you to someone who does. Welcome to sanity.

Remember these facts:

Faith - Is the belief in something without evidence.

Delusion: Is an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder. A belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary.

Religion - Is the embracement of delusion.

Glad you found us.

Thank you so much for the support! If I need anything or have any questions I'll definitely reach out to you. Do you recommend any books?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes xastrogasmx's post
16-09-2015, 03:12 PM
(16-09-2015 03:06 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  
(16-09-2015 02:26 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Welcome! Yes, very familiar with that feeling. The best thing to do is to educate yourself as much as you can by reading scholarly books and articles and watching documentaries, debates, podcasts, and come together with like-minded people. I think Bart Ehrman's The Bible: A Historical and Literary Introduction is a good place to start. I would also purchase (or read online) the Skeptic's Annotated Bible along with a scholarly book on bible commentaries.

Oh wow, thank you! I'm definitely going to look into that, I've heard reading books about this can help.

Yeah, it really helps with any residual doubts. It also helps to provide answers when you have "well-meaning" Christian family members and friends who try and pull you back in to religion. It takes a lot to take the first steps to get out of religion. It's not an easy process, so good for you for asking questions and trying to find out the truth Thumbsup I hope we can help you with any support you might need along the way.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
16-09-2015, 03:20 PM
(16-09-2015 02:16 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  Hi everyone so this is my first time ever posting on this site or any atheist forum site for that matter. Like it says above, I am currently struggling because day by day I have been losing my faith in Christianity and just God. My whole life I've been raised Christian and a few months ago, I slowly started to see the flaws in religion period (I'm 20 btw). I'm very confused because a part of me still wants to hold onto what I know and what I feel safe and comfortable with, but another part of me knows that this isn't realistic and that I'm drifting farther and farther away. It feels unfamiliar because I never thought I'd doubt my religion or my belief in God, but it's getting to the point where I don't even know if I believe there is a God anymore. One part of me doesn't want to completely ex out the possibility of there being something divine, but another part of me knows that the stories sound so ridiculous and there are way too many things pointing to evolution. So I just need some opinions and some support because right now I feel confused but I'm also sure of how I feel; and that's that I want to step away from religion completely. Is anyone else familiar with this feeling? How do I rip off the security blanket of religion and God?HuhHuh

Check out the video series by Evid3nc3:

One of the best deconversion series ever! You'll probably find a lot that pertains to your own experience. There are several parts, I think about 8-10.

He mentions a book in the video -"Some Mistakes of Moses" by Robert Ingersoll, it is a very witty and funny book, here's a link to it:

Some Mistakes of Moses

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
16-09-2015, 03:24 PM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2015 03:35 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
(16-09-2015 03:08 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  
(16-09-2015 02:46 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Welcome, welcome to your first step down the path of freedom, freedom from the three Fs of religion; Fiction, Forgery, and Fantasy. Many of us have gone through this same stage. You will be amazed how clear the world becomes once you remove the blindfold of faith. There area lot of resources here, please browse away. Check under the Atheism topic, there are some sticky threads at top that have a ton of info. If you have any lingering doubts, please let me know. I have been at this for awhile, and I am an ex-christian, so I am familiar with the process. If I don't know the answer to your question, I am sure I can point you to someone who does. Welcome to sanity.

Remember these facts:

Faith - Is the belief in something without evidence.

Delusion: Is an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder. A belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary.

Religion - Is the embracement of delusion.

Glad you found us.

Thank you so much for the support! If I need anything or have any questions I'll definitely reach out to you. Do you recommend any books?

Absolutely, depends on the subject. It can get overwhelming quick. Here are a few of my favorites below. If you have any lingering doubts, or would like answers to anything related to theology, please let me know. In regards to christianity, remember it is based on the belief that jesus was the son of god, and died for our sins under the christian Incarnation and Atonement theory. However, biblical historicity, historical review of non biblical and contemporary evidence shows that no one who ever wrote of jesus actually knew him. The synoptic gospels were not written by Mark, Matthew, Luke and John....facts like this can really solidify your confidence in non-belief, and help flush out residual belief. But enough of that for now, this is your intro thread, plenty of time to flesh all of that out later when you are ready. Here is part of my go to list...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid735241

Boadt, L. (1984) Reading the Old Testament: An Introduction. New York. Paulist Press. (outstanding book, it takes great pains to be forensically accurate, to a fault, and as such, becomes a great weapon to discredit the OT)

Ehrman, Bart. Misquoting Jesus: The story behind who changed the bible and why. New York, Harper Collins. 2005. Print.

Carrier, Richard, On the historicity of jesus: why we might have reason for doubt. Sheffield, England: Sheffield Phoenix press, 2014. Print.

Wells, S. (2013) The skeptics annotated Bible. New York. SAB Books, LLC.

Hitchens, Christopher. God is not great: How religion poisons everything. New York, Hatchette Book Group inc. 2009. Print.

Hitchens, Christopher. Hitch 22: A memoir. New York, Hatchette Book Group inc. 2010. Print.

Hitchens, Christopher. The portable atheist: essential readings for the nonbeliever. Philadelphia, PA., Da Capo Press. 2007. Print.

Boghossian, Peter. A manual for creating atheists. Durham, NC. Pitchstone Publishing. 2013. Print.

Barker, Dan. Godless: how an evangelical preacher became one of america's leading atheists. Berkeley, CA. Bang Printing. 2008. Print.

Crossman, J. D. The power of parable: How fiction by jesus became fiction about jesus. New York. Harper Collins Publishers. 2012. Print.

Mills, David. Atheist Universe: The thinking person's answer to christian fundamentalism, makes the case against intelligent design. Berkeley, CA. Bang Printing. 2006. Print.

Pessin, Andrew. The god question: What famous thinkers from plato to dawkins have said about the divine. Oxford, England. Oneworld Publications. 2009. Print.

Bierlein, J.F. Parallel Myths: A fascinating look at the common threads woven through the world's greatest myths-and the central role they have played through time. New York. Ballantine Publishing Group. 1994. Print.

Helms, Randel. Gospel fictions. New York. Prometheus Books. 1988. Print.

Murdock, D. M. Did Moses exist? The myth of the Israelite lawgiver. Seattle. Stellar House Publishing. 2014. Print.

Price, Robert M. Deconstructing Jesus. New York. Prometheus Books. 2000. Print.

Zuckerman, Phil. Society without god. New York. New York University press. 2008. Print.

and a few links to get you started:

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/list.html

http://www.inquisitr.com/1504964/jesus-never-existed/

http://ideonexus.com/2012/02/12/101-reas...oftheEarth

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
16-09-2015, 03:37 PM
(16-09-2015 02:16 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  Is anyone else familiar with this feeling? How do I rip off the security blanket of religion and God?HuhHuh

Hi Smile Welcome Smile

Don't stress, you'll find your way. It takes a bit of time is all... Took me years Dodgy Much to my subsequent chagrin.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
16-09-2015, 03:42 PM
(16-09-2015 03:37 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(16-09-2015 02:16 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  Is anyone else familiar with this feeling? How do I rip off the security blanket of religion and God?HuhHuh

Hi Smile Welcome Smile

Don't stress, you'll find your way. It takes a bit of time is all... Took me years Dodgy Much to my subsequent chagrin.

So true--it is a process. Don't expect it to happen overnight. It took me about 2-3 years to fully make the transition to atheist and I was a devout (and I'm talkin' Kirk Cameron level of devout) Christian.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
16-09-2015, 04:02 PM
(16-09-2015 03:42 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I was a devout (and I'm talkin' Kirk Cameron level of devout) Christian.

Gasp

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
16-09-2015, 04:32 PM
I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said by the good folks of the forum, other than to add another welcome! Smile

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
16-09-2015, 06:13 PM
(16-09-2015 04:02 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(16-09-2015 03:42 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I was a devout (and I'm talkin' Kirk Cameron level of devout) Christian.

Gasp

Yup, I was crazy for Jebus Hobo and I also idolized Candace Cameron Bure Facepalm

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
16-09-2015, 06:30 PM
Some newbie sent me this. Funnily he had his PMs off so I was unable to respond. However it is not far off being accurate. Check this site out.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.