Losing my faith and becoming an atheist/agnostic

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
16-09-2015, 07:46 PM
RE: Losing my faith and becoming an atheist/agnostic
First comes the doubt.

Then comes the questions.

I didn't start strongly doubting my own faith till ruffle 26. So you are already smarter then i was. I started with questioning other religions, starting with Scientology, then to cults, Mormonism, Muslims, Hindu, Buddhism, then finale Catholicism.

Feeling worried it not uncommon. I questioned it myself "Is this right?" "Is God going to punish me for not believing?" "Will I be sent to hell?"

The counter questions that you need to present to yourself is. If there is a being that is all knowing and wants to be in my life why isn't he presenting himself more clearer to me? If this being did exist and didn't give me the evidence that I would require to believing in him why is he going to punish me? Would I want to worship something that would go to such extremes and acts of torture for not fulfilling my required evidence? I spent the majority of my life worshiping and praising him, why now at this moment of doubt doesn't he give me a much more clearing sigh?

Keep yourself educated, if something doesn't sound right fact check.

Listen to show's like the Atheist Experience.

Podcast's like The Thinking Atheist.

If your in the mood for a laugh, listen to The Bible Reloaded, or Armored Skeptic

(all on youtube)

When you feel like the heavy stuff. Watch debates. You'll see how both side's present themselves.

Bill Nye vs Ken Ham

Christopher Hitchens vs ... really anyone. But my personal favorite Is Hitch & Stephen Fry vs the Catholic Church.

Richard Dawkins vs Wendy Wright

For you science fix look at

Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Lawrence Krauss
Carl Sagan

I'll leave you with this.

Welcome to our little spot in the infinite universe xastrogasmx. Your not alone.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
16-09-2015, 07:58 PM
Quote:I'm very confused because a part of me still wants to hold onto what I know and what I feel safe and comfortable with, but another part of me knows that this isn't realistic and that I'm drifting farther and farther away.

Look at it this way. If 'god' gave a shit one way or the other he could appear to you and say "not so fast."

If that hasn't happened either he doesn't give a shit about you or, far more likely, never existed at all.

It's a process...not an event. You've been brainwashed for 20 years and you cannot expect to shake it off overnight. Hang out. Ask questions. Relax. Many of us have been through what you're going through.

Welcome.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
16-09-2015, 08:32 PM
Hug

Hello! Big Grin
17-09-2015, 12:20 AM
(16-09-2015 07:46 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  First comes the doubt.

Then comes the questions.

Then come the Spanish

With an Inquisition

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
18-09-2015, 11:49 AM
(16-09-2015 03:05 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  
(16-09-2015 02:19 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Welcome. It's not easy giving up and realizing you're good without god. For me it took much longer than it should have.

You could start by listening to some of Seth's podcasts.

Seth's Podcasts? Is that on YouTube or something?

I realized no one answered this one. Here they all are. I stream them on my phone when I am at work. These are not too data intensive. He also is on youtube with the same podcasts.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/podcast

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
18-09-2015, 12:13 PM
(16-09-2015 06:13 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(16-09-2015 04:02 PM)morondog Wrote:  Gasp

Yup, I was crazy for Jebus Hobo and I also idolized Candace Cameron Bure Facepalm

Oh yeah? Consider I was Keith Green level devout! Yes

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-09-2015, 02:22 PM
(16-09-2015 02:16 PM)xastrogasmx Wrote:  Hi everyone so this is my first time ever posting on this site or any atheist forum site for that matter. Like it says above, I am currently struggling because day by day I have been losing my faith in Christianity and just God. My whole life I've been raised Christian and a few months ago, I slowly started to see the flaws in religion period (I'm 20 btw). I'm very confused because a part of me still wants to hold onto what I know and what I feel safe and comfortable with, but another part of me knows that this isn't realistic and that I'm drifting farther and farther away. It feels unfamiliar because I never thought I'd doubt my religion or my belief in God, but it's getting to the point where I don't even know if I believe there is a God anymore. One part of me doesn't want to completely ex out the possibility of there being something divine, but another part of me knows that the stories sound so ridiculous and there are way too many things pointing to evolution. So I just need some opinions and some support because right now I feel confused but I'm also sure of how I feel; and that's that I want to step away from religion completely. Is anyone else familiar with this feeling? How do I rip off the security blanket of religion and God?HuhHuh

Many people gain strength, security, and hope through their "belief" in God. Believe in yourself and you have the power of God within you.