Losing my non-religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2015, 07:14 AM
RE: Losing my non-religion
(07-01-2015 07:08 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(07-01-2015 06:57 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There's a non zero probability a 1957 Chevy is orbiting Pluto.

This again?

I thought I had made it clear, with photos even, that it is a 1954 Studebaker? Come on Bucky get with the program!

Now, about that teapot orbiting the sun...

I was wrong. All tea pots orbit the sun.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
07-01-2015, 07:26 AM
(07-01-2015 07:02 AM)One Above All Wrote:  
(07-01-2015 06:57 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There's a non zero probability a 1957 Chevy is orbiting Pluto.

What about a 1958 Chevy?

That's just crazy talk.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
07-01-2015, 07:45 AM
It's a very interesting hypothesis, sure. One I'm quite familiar with. The thing is, the hypothesis makes a lot of assumptions. Also, it's completely untestable. We don't even know if there are any other realities than our own, so until we have good reason to believe that, it's not even reasonable to think this could be a simulation.

However, if I had to pick any "creation" explanation, I find this the most credible. And it doesn't lead to God, it leads to something or other running some sort of program. I mean, if you call a guy on a computer God, that's up to you I guess Smile

But as has been noted, it makes no practical difference even if it is true. It sure is interesting though. People try to use arguments somewhat similar to this to point to a creator, label that creator God, then somehow go "wow and look, I have a book about him". As you seem to be fully aware, that's bullshit of course Big Grin

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
07-01-2015, 07:45 AM
How does that go? Not even wrong.

(07-01-2015 07:26 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(07-01-2015 07:02 AM)One Above All Wrote:  What about a 1958 Chevy?

That's just crazy talk.

As if there's some kinda non-crazy talk going on in this thread.

living word
07-01-2015, 07:51 AM
(07-01-2015 07:45 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  How does that go? Not even wrong.

(07-01-2015 07:26 AM)unfogged Wrote:  That's just crazy talk.

How dare you question the existence of the great 1958 Chevy in the skies of Pluto? She shall not be pleased! You will forever freeze in the icy depths of Pluto!

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 1 user Likes One Above All's post
07-01-2015, 07:51 AM
Also, just to be nit picky, you said losing your non religion. I don't see how this qualifies as religion, unless you're planning to worship the unnamed simulator?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
07-01-2015, 07:53 AM
(07-01-2015 07:51 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Also, just to be nit picky, you said losing your non religion. I don't see how this qualifies as religion, unless you're planning to worship the unnamed simulator?

Hah. I plan to *warship* him. Worship's for ninnies.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
07-01-2015, 08:08 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2015 08:36 AM by houseofcantor.)
Of course I started to run my neck before I saw this was the purple section, so if your opinions are all soft and squishy pay no mind to the man behind this avatar.

(07-01-2015 07:51 AM)One Above All Wrote:  
(07-01-2015 07:45 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  How does that go? Not even wrong.

How dare you question the existence of the great 1958 Chevy in the skies of Pluto? She shall not be pleased! You will forever freeze in the icy depths of Pluto!

Another thing that sparks my contacts, buncha atheists spouting off on this nonsense like it's some kind of profound wisdom. It's not. It's a philosophical device invented to encourage critical thinking, it ain't the critical thought itself. To keep pontificating on this bullshit is to sound like a smug self-satisfied and pretentious eight year old.

Yeah, I'm looking at you, Bucky. Tongue

Quote:A brief summary of the problem. A set S of computational gates is universal if by composing gates in the set S you can do any computation allowed by the laws of physics. Both the classical and quantum theories of computation say that there are many universal sets of computational gates. For example, in the quantum theory of computation almost any two qubit gate is universal. In the classical theory of computation both the Fredkin and the Toffoli gates are universal. As a result, it is not possible to tell what the underlying hardware of a computer is composed of just by looking at its output. So the great simulator idea implies that we can never discover the real laws of physics: the laws of the simulator's hardware. Also, if there is a simulator what is it simulating and why? The great simulator in the sky idea makes no predictions, raises insoluble problems and solves no problems: it is anti-scientific rubbish.

~http://physics.stackexchange.com/questio...simulation

Ever watch that Game of Thrones shit? Did you ever wanna do up King Jeffery - like everybody, even though it "wasn't real?" - know what happened to the actor? He said he's done because he couldn't deal with being despised - even though it wasn't real.

Besides, wtf does that even mean? I'm not sitting on the "reality" of the couch, I'm suspended by electrostatic repulsion. I'm not a monkey with a typewriter, I'm some kind of homunculus pulling levers behind these eyes. I'm not telling stories, I'm expressing the love of my Gwynnies in a "real" manner, providing value as a light against the darkness.

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
07-01-2015, 08:23 AM

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
07-01-2015, 08:58 AM
I lost my non religion once, but it was only down the back of the sofa.

[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post