Losing my non-religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2015, 09:00 AM
RE: Losing my non-religion
I expect to trade mine in for Gwynnite if I can ever write it up where it doesn't sound totally retarded.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2015, 09:08 AM
why is this thread in Personal issues? Consider

does the OP have problem that he needs help with? Or is he posting here to avoid counter posts to his ideas that he would receive in the A & T forum.

This area is for personal problems, not a hide out to avoid criticism.

Dodgy

mods can you check with the OP?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
07-01-2015, 09:27 AM
(07-01-2015 07:14 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ...
I was wrong. All tea pots orbit the sun.

I dunno about that. I've been convinced by Bozo the Brownshirt's arguments... How do you know that if you haven't yet checked out the whole universe and / or all the potential non-physical realms?

(07-01-2015 09:08 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  ...
This area is for personal problems, not a hide out to avoid criticism.

I think it's intended as a bit of both. It's a safe zone and there does seem to be a bit of a crisis (of non-faith) going on in the OP.

I used to police this section with regard to the former but after the Clown Affair, I see the need, too, for the latter.

I'll reserve judgement until the OP comes back.

Other Mods may vary.

07-01-2015, 11:00 AM
My intent was to be talked down from this peak, this is as close to a crisis of faith as I can imagine.
Feel free to close the topic.
07-01-2015, 11:10 AM
(07-01-2015 11:00 AM)Oglethorpe Wrote:  My intent was to be talked down from this peak, this is as close to a crisis of faith as I can imagine.

Did you at least read our replies?

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
07-01-2015, 11:12 AM
(07-01-2015 11:00 AM)Oglethorpe Wrote:  My intent was to be talked down from this peak, this is as close to a crisis of faith as I can imagine.

If you feel like elaborating, we can do more talking; I'm just kinda baffled being all intrinsically mathematical and stuff. And if you're stuck in some kinda watchmaker downward spiral, you may be overlooking the most congruent parallel, not video games nor Matrix bullshit but rather I. The first simulation one encounters is all natural, when brain simulates mind and builds experience leading to the development of self around six months old.

Oh, and around here stuff doesn't normally get closed.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
07-01-2015, 11:13 AM
His argument makes way to many assumptions.
07-01-2015, 11:20 AM
It's time for Gandalf:

[Image: gandalf-the-lord-of-the-rings-16472.jpg]

Why worry about such things, what can you do about it anyway?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
07-01-2015, 11:20 AM
(07-01-2015 02:38 AM)Oglethorpe Wrote:  My first post here...sorry it had to be this one.
After 30 years of being a staunch atheist, I feel like I may have been wrong. I came to a rational argument that I cant simply ignore, but this isnt a religious conversion that showers me with joy but rather a deep, dark abyss.
Let me explain...
I have gone the gamut of the logical flaws of traditional western faith. The book is inconsitent, without third party corroboration...clearly a work of man. The arguments against evil and a benevolent creator, old hat to me. Other religions were interesting but all were clearly ancient man reaching for an explanation of all things.

I ran across it on accident, I like science articles...
It was this crazy guy named Nick Bostrom, spouting some nonsense about a simulated reality. But after reading on quantum physics, Planck units, and how mathematics basically runs everything...I came back to it. This is the problem, I can't unsee it.

If you want to look up his hypothesis feel free, I wont repeat it, its easy enough to find. But the inescapable clues were right there...I played too damn many video games to not see that opening a chest with random loot is exactly what Schrodinger was talking about.
But the math, I that really got to me. The number of simulated universes would massive outnumber the real one, it would be an act of immense arrogance to assume we were the 'real' one.

So here I am, there is a non-zero probability that this universe is simulated. So there is the same non-zero chance that there is a creator running the damned thing for whatever reason. I dont know what a post-human would be, organic or a machine, but I cant deny that as "god" though that would be a poor term.
So where does that leave me? If I assign the probability as low I am definitely an agnostics I , if I figure the probability as high then I am a deist. Either way I have to turn in my atheist card, for something that I wonder is even more bleak.

So if it is a simulation, the creator is likely not to interfere with the course of things...that would defeat the purpose. It may tweak things for research purposes but that adds the complication that the simulation is run over and over again...so how many times have I wrote this, how many timee have you read it.

So in short...
God doesnt really care about us as individuals.
God doesnt answer prayer.
There is no afterlife, unless we count running the same life over and over again
All of this is at best a post-human life form honoring its ancestors in the form of a memorial, at worst we exist to be tinkered with for curiosity.
And we are trapped here.

So I suppose I technically believe in god again, but now I think I hate 'it'.

I smell a Poe.

Science has yet to figure out something or nothing prior to the big bang and QM is freakishly pointing to overlap. But Hawking has said "A god is not required".

There is no cognition required for any of this to happen. Lightening doesn't need Thor, and a hurricane doesn't need Poseidon, and the universe does not need a god to happen either.

It is insane to think this one dot, out in the middle of this hostile universe was put here just for humans.

But if you want to simply argue the "what if" part as in "lets pretend". I still would not worship this dickhead if one is going to argue the attributes of "all powerful" and
"all loving". No sane parent would allow their children to be harmed in the same selective deadbeat manor the fans of this God claim make if they could stop it every single time.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
07-01-2015, 11:22 AM
And no, not even as lab rats does this make sense. "All this" makes much more sense without any type of god, or cognitive cause.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37