Loss of a dream. :(

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2016, 10:27 PM
Loss of a dream. :(
Not quite sure if it's 'World news' but it's sad news non the less.

The recreation of the Bugatti P-100 has crashed after only its third flight. Sadly also killing the pilot, the man mainly responsible for the rebuilding of the legend.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBugatti100pProject/

Blue skies Captain Wilson.

Sadcryface

Scrolling down their facebook page you can see the idea for a two seater, single engine, fiber-glass replica. I can only hope the tragedy does not over shadow their achievements.

Bowing
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
09-08-2016, 10:46 PM
RE: Loss of a dream. :(
it is sad, and proves the point i have always maintained. No matter how many hours and experience you have, if you are not trained to be a test pilot, let a test pilot fly your homebuilt.
That's what the Bugatti was, an untested one of a kind homebuilt. It needed a young Chuck Yeager kinda pilot at the controls.
10-08-2016, 12:05 AM
It is sad, but I don't get why you'd be willing to die for something like that.
10-08-2016, 12:10 AM
Well.. technically... I'm pretty sure the design wasn't built to crash into the ground and explode......

Attempted levity aside, it's as Skyking mentioned. The machine, even though a 'Replica' had not been flow often or built a lot of. It was known during the 'restoration' that many technical issues were simply 'Unknown' even as they were putting this simulacrum together.

Any number of things might have gone wrong. Sadly, we'll have to await the crash investigation to know what it was.