Lost Tomb of Jesus?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2015, 07:07 AM
Lost Tomb of Jesus?
Lost Tomb Of Jesus? Biblical Documentary Alleging Jesus' Marriage To Mary Magdalene, Jerusalem Burial, Cleared Of Fraud By Israeli Court

Proponents of the theory that Jesus married Mary Magdalene and had children with her scored a victory this week after an Israeli court cleared fraud charges against a documentary that claimed to have found evidence of the marriage inside what it called Jesus’ “lost tomb.” The court’s decision, which awarded one of Israel’s largest defamation settlements in recent years, is likely to revive long-standing archaeological debates about Jesus' earthly remains.

The court case derived from claims made in a 2007 Discovery Channel documentary by Israeli filmmaker Simcha Jacobovici called “The Lost Tomb of Jesus.” The film based its argument about Jesus’ burial and marriage on a 1980 archaeological discovery in the Talpiot area of Jerusalem, where an ancient tomb was found bearing Jesus’ name along with other well-known biblical names like Mary, Matthew, Joseph and Judas.

This is interesting, I don't know how you could prove it was Jesus' bones in the ossuary. I would think it would be just as likely his bones would be in some mass grave with the other criminals that were buried after a Roman execution.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2015, 01:32 PM
RE: Lost Tomb of Jesus?
(09-06-2015 07:07 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Lost Tomb Of Jesus? Biblical Documentary Alleging Jesus' Marriage To Mary Magdalene, Jerusalem Burial, Cleared Of Fraud By Israeli Court

Proponents of the theory that Jesus married Mary Magdalene and had children with her scored a victory this week after an Israeli court cleared fraud charges against a documentary that claimed to have found evidence of the marriage inside what it called Jesus’ “lost tomb.” The court’s decision, which awarded one of Israel’s largest defamation settlements in recent years, is likely to revive long-standing archaeological debates about Jesus' earthly remains.

The court case derived from claims made in a 2007 Discovery Channel documentary by Israeli filmmaker Simcha Jacobovici called “The Lost Tomb of Jesus.” The film based its argument about Jesus’ burial and marriage on a 1980 archaeological discovery in the Talpiot area of Jerusalem, where an ancient tomb was found bearing Jesus’ name along with other well-known biblical names like Mary, Matthew, Joseph and Judas.

This is interesting, I don't know how you could prove it was Jesus' bones in the ossuary. I would think it would be just as likely his bones would be in some mass grave with the other criminals that were buried after a Roman execution.

I remember watching the documentary. Jacobovici was trashed by archeologists and historians for having no background whatsoever in the field.

I do agree, how would you ever prove that it was jesus's tomb. As for the fate of criminals after Roman execution... I do believe that the only archeological evidence for crucifixion (an ankle bone with a nail through) that has ever been found, was found in an ossuary, so the family was able to recover the remains of this crucified victim. Then again, you would think that the bones in the jesus ossuary would have similarly shown signs of trauma if it was the real historical jesus...
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
09-06-2015, 01:43 PM
He's a Canadian filmaker, not an Israeli.. though maybe he has Israeli citizenship so they can say it too Rolleyes

I used to watch and like the show Naked Archaeologist all the time, but yeah, he's just a journalist who interviews and deals with archaeologists or their studies and goes around artifacts or caves.

He has plenty of proclaimed ideas that don't hold up to scrutiny though. There are plenty of Jesus's birthplace locations, at least part of his best shows were showing how people proclaim they have the real Bethlehem or real location at various parts in the country.

He has a good angle a lot showing how the Bible is clearly dysfunctional to believe supernatural or literal, but he too often tries to take the stories as if they still are seemingly historically true. There was a wonky worked out documentary trying to explain the Genesis account was the result of natural effects he made, like that all the plagues occurred due to effects lingering of a gigantic volcanic eruption. Or you know, most of the story didn't happen at all and there have been various examples of those types of dramatic events at various times or locations of the recent legends when the tale was finally written down.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
09-06-2015, 01:50 PM
Jacobovici, schmuck that he is, produced a series called "The Naked Archaeologist." Real archaeologist, Aren Maier (excavating at Tel-es-Safi in Israel) noted "he's not naked and he's not an archaeologist."

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
09-06-2015, 01:54 PM
(09-06-2015 01:32 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 07:07 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Lost Tomb Of Jesus? Biblical Documentary Alleging Jesus' Marriage To Mary Magdalene, Jerusalem Burial, Cleared Of Fraud By Israeli Court

I remember watching the documentary. Jacobovici was trashed by archeologists and historians for having no background whatsoever in the field.

I do agree, how would you ever prove that it was jesus's tomb. As for the fate of criminals after Roman execution... I do believe that the only archeological evidence for crucifixion (an ankle bone with a nail through) that has ever been found, was found in an ossuary, so the family was able to recover the remains of this crucified victim. Then again, you would think that the bones in the jesus ossuary would have similarly shown signs of trauma if it was the real historical jesus...

That was amazing at how little evidence they have found for crucifixion, I saw that on The Naked Archeologist that Clydlee mentioned. Though it's limited, it is physical evidence, I guess the Romans probably mentioned it extensively in their writings.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
09-06-2015, 02:03 PM
That is very interesting. Thanks for sharing. One tidbit of information I heard, although who knows if it holds any value, was that the Romans allegedly would normally remove the nails to re-use because iron was not a commodity in those days.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
09-06-2015, 03:53 PM

Surely if they were that confident they would have called the documentary, 'The Tomb of Jesus', as one assumes they believe they found it.

Just throwing it out there, s'all.

Archi

"I love the term magic realism. It's about expanding how you see the world. I think we live in an age where we're just hammered to think this is what the world is. Everything's saying 'That's the world.' And it's not the world. The world is a million possible things." - TG

Salman Rushdie talks to Terry Gilliam
09-06-2015, 03:56 PM
(09-06-2015 02:03 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  That is very interesting. Thanks for sharing. One tidbit of information I heard, although who knows if it holds any value, was that the Romans allegedly would normally remove the nails to re-use because iron was not a commodity in those days.

Just out of curiosity, when did the British titbit becomes 'tidbit'? Anyone?

Archi

"I love the term magic realism. It's about expanding how you see the world. I think we live in an age where we're just hammered to think this is what the world is. Everything's saying 'That's the world.' And it's not the world. The world is a million possible things." - TG

Salman Rushdie talks to Terry Gilliam
09-06-2015, 05:04 PM
(09-06-2015 02:03 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  That is very interesting. Thanks for sharing. One tidbit of information I heard, although who knows if it holds any value, was that the Romans allegedly would normally remove the nails to re-use because iron was not a commodity in those days.

The Romans also left the body on the cross until it rotted off..... but that doesn't fit the xtian bullshit story so they invented some other tale.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
09-06-2015, 05:26 PM
oh noes....that means the whole basis of christianity is debunked????? the resurrection didn't happen? color me shocked.

Blink

Unsure

Weeping

Laugh out load

Smartass

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post