Lost a Friend Today

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2015, 09:09 PM
RE: Lost a Friend Today
(20-07-2015 08:31 PM)jennybee Wrote:  It's good to be there for your friend, but you've got to take care of yourself too. Does he have anyone else for support besides you?

He's married to a very nice man (in a state where that was already legal), and has a really awesome grown son, but has become deeply self-centered to the point of ignoring them both when they try to support him.

For some reason, he still trusts me, largely because I don't try to feed him feel-good BS. Ironic, going to your atheist friend because you're pissed-off at the religionists around you. But it does feel like a burden I can't hold up on my own.

He hasn't spoken to me online since this morning, which I missed because I was away loading new billet into the trays. Sad

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-07-2015, 09:34 PM
(20-07-2015 09:09 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 08:31 PM)jennybee Wrote:  It's good to be there for your friend, but you've got to take care of yourself too. Does he have anyone else for support besides you?

He's married to a very nice man (in a state where that was already legal), and has a really awesome grown son, but has become deeply self-centered to the point of ignoring them both when they try to support him.

For some reason, he still trusts me, largely because I don't try to feed him feel-good BS. Ironic, going to your atheist friend because you're pissed-off at the religionists around you. But it does feel like a burden I can't hold up on my own.

He hasn't spoken to me online since this morning, which I missed because I was away loading new billet into the trays. Sad

I am so sorry your friend is going through all of that. Sounds like you are doing everything you can do to offer him support (and then some). That is all you can do. You need to hold on to that. But you also need to pace yourself and take care of yourself/your health--or you will burn yourself out and you won't be able to be there for him or your business.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
21-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Rocket you know you have to strike a balance but I understand your dilemma if I had worked harder would my friend still be alive, I don't know. Possibly I'm just so fucking angry with him right now. All the best to you and him but but you must protect yourself otherwise you are no use to anyone including yourself
21-07-2015, 12:44 PM
Sorry Stark!

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
21-07-2015, 01:06 PM
(18-07-2015 10:13 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Well, she died yesterday, but I found out this morning. Brain aneurysm. Completely unexpected.

Fuck, i felt like a zombie all day. It's really messing with my head.

Truly sorry to hear about your loss.....words can never express appropriately the pain of losing a loved one, or even a close friend, I know loss, as many of us do, and my parting words are.. time does soften the blow, remember the good things about your friend, celebrate the memories. Hug

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
21-07-2015, 06:47 PM
Saying goodbye to old friends is always awful. Very sad to read so many of our small community had to do so. My sympathies to you all.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
21-07-2015, 10:10 PM
(21-07-2015 06:47 PM)BnW Wrote:  Saying goodbye to old friends is always awful. Very sad to read so many of our small community had to do so. My sympathies to you all.

Death is a part of life. Often even as we accept it with equanimity for ourselves, still we rage against the dying of the light in our beloved. My own belief is that as we understand that some things are beyond our control, learning the art of serenity enables us to appreciate what we've had, and whom we've known, even as they pass.

I don't know that I've ever said goodbye to the beloved who have died in my life; I think, for myself, that I cotton to their memories and in a small way help to keep them alive.

Yes, it hurts. But it is a sweet pain, leavened by the glow they've left in my life.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
23-07-2015, 08:31 AM
Life is decidedly surreal at the moment, I shared so much with my friend, we ate together we laughed together we cried together he enriched my life was always there, he was my brother. As a non believer its hard because my friend was a clergyman so I have to deal with the usual shit god has a plan he's in heaven he's a star in the sky etc etc. I just want him back I want a hug from him but it's not going to happen it hurts so badly and I'm angry.
23-07-2015, 09:30 AM
(23-07-2015 08:31 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Life is decidedly surreal at the moment, I shared so much with my friend, we ate together we laughed together we cried together he enriched my life was always there, he was my brother. As a non believer its hard because my friend was a clergyman so I have to deal with the usual shit god has a plan he's in heaven he's a star in the sky etc etc. I just want him back I want a hug from him but it's not going to happen it hurts so badly and I'm angry.

Hug Heart

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
23-07-2015, 09:34 AM
(23-07-2015 08:31 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Life is decidedly surreal at the moment, I shared so much with my friend, we ate together we laughed together we cried together he enriched my life was always there, he was my brother. As a non believer its hard because my friend was a clergyman so I have to deal with the usual shit god has a plan he's in heaven he's a star in the sky etc etc. I just want him back I want a hug from him but it's not going to happen it hurts so badly and I'm angry.

Hug