Lost a friend over Christianity tonight

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2014, 09:20 PM
Lost a friend over Christianity tonight
I've known this person most of my life, we grew up together. When I came out as an atheist, we had some vicious back and forths over religion on Facebook. He's fundamentalist and can't let things alone, he constantly posted disparaging things about atheists on his page, posting stupid and insulting scriptures. i put up with this for a couple of years, but today I found out he was contacting members of my family and saying disparaging things about me, about my family, my fiance'.
He sent demeaning messages to my nephew who served in Iraq and has PTSD, my nephew is atheist as well. He denigrated his service in the military, denigrated how my sister raised him. I've known him all my life, but he has used his religion as an excuse to judge and denigrate people.

I posted a message on my Facebook page and only shared it with his and my family, I wanted what he did made public to all those around him, I am enraged by his actions and have nothing but contempt for him now. Excuse me for venting, here is what I posted:

I don’t think it’s too much of a secret that I don’t believe in god. I re-evaluated my reasons for believing a couple of years ago and realized I just couldn’t continue in the Christian faith. It was actually a scary decision initially, since I had been told that hell awaits me, but I couldn’t pretend this religion made any sense to me anymore, this was a moment of honesty about who I was and it was not something I came to lightly.
I had conversations with my brother about this who seemed to show what a true Christian should do when someone doesn’t believe in Christian doctrine anymore- love, understanding, and acceptance.
I’ve also had a longtime friend with which I’ve had serious disagreements with on Facebook. I knew he was a fundamentalist and had a hard time with the path I chose, but I thought perhaps we could eventually agree to disagree and possibly have an adult conversation about our perspectives on god and philosophy at some point. I now know that this friend has been sending unsolicited hate-filled emails to my family members disparaging me, my nephew and even my fiancé.
This is beyond the pale, you have exemplified the worst aspects of what a so-called Christian is, you are no friend of mine sir.
This is my public repudiation of you and what your extremist beliefs represent, maybe someday you can learn about not just Christian love, but about being a decent human being.

Goodbye to you and your hate!

So there you have it, the end of a friendship that lasted for over 40 years because a person can't contain their hate for someone that doesn't believe as they do.
There was no response after I got back from seeing a movie this evening, I defriended him, but his wife and sister are still friends of mine. I will not tolerate a single disparaging comment from this person again.

The tree of delusion is nourished by the vague promises and skewed perception of prayer. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 29 users Like TheInquisition's post
01-08-2014, 09:37 PM
RE: Lost a friend over Christianity tonight
Good for you. Thumbsup

I know it's not easy, but you're better off without this person in your life anymore.

Who needs that crap?!

Religion is bad
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
01-08-2014, 09:43 PM
What Pablo said, and Hug
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
01-08-2014, 10:04 PM
(01-08-2014 09:20 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  ...
Goodbye to you and your hate!

Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Yes

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
01-08-2014, 10:32 PM
Anyone who would degrade his comrades is trash.

You are far better off, far morally superior, and a far greater friend than he ever was.

That which can Never be proven true is false. - A Philosophical Razor
[+] 3 users Like Shadow Fox's post
01-08-2014, 10:44 PM
And another example of why we cry foul on religion. Ask your friend how Jesus would have treated you, and what kind of righteousness he is really about. Let him ponder that.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
01-08-2014, 11:12 PM
I can't even imagine, but man, you did the right thing. I'm sorry you've gone through this. But honestly removing negativity from your life is usually a step in the right direction.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
02-08-2014, 01:06 AM
I'm sorry all that happened. It's so sad and horrible for you. You did what you had to, but it doesn't make it easy. Hug

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
02-08-2014, 01:38 AM
You did the right thing. People like that are not friends.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 2 users Like One Above All's post
02-08-2014, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the support everyone, life really does change after you reject the religion of your childhood. You find out who your true friends are, you find out what's really inside the people you have in your life be it friend or family.
I also realize I'll have to find some new friends, places like this are part of that process.

The tree of delusion is nourished by the vague promises and skewed perception of prayer. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post