14-08-2016, 06:49 PM
RE: Lost a friend today
I'm sorry that you lost your friend. Hug

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-08-2016, 10:02 PM
I'm with Anj, a heartfelt note in a card can really mean so much.

It's never easy to say goodbye to a friend, even if it's one you haven't been close to recently.

my sympathy on your loss.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
14-08-2016, 11:46 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. If I were in your shoes, I'd send flowers as well as the card and note.
15-08-2016, 07:19 AM
Firstly, g'day and welcome to the forums. Smile

I'd also like to offer you my condolences for the death of your long-term friend. Friendships never die—they only lapse, as was proved when you met this person again by chance. The fact that he was still an active theist and you were no longer one doesn't necessarily alter a friendship. It's the person themselves, not their beliefs, that nurtures meaningful friendships.

(14-08-2016 02:35 PM)cruncher Wrote:  [...] Eventually we were no longer invited to attend social functions.
I'd be guessing that this was a classic case of "groupthink" rather than animosity from any one individual or individuals as such.

Quote:By not going I seem distant and cold.
Not at all. Bear in mind they were the ones that (apparently) rejected your membership of their church congregation—by gradually but effectively eliminating you from their social gatherings. And if you no longer maintain any friendships with that group, ultimately it doesn't matter whether or not you've chosen to attend any memorial service for your (now merely) acquaintance.

—I'd agree with a couple of the other guys here; a card would be a suitable gesture to show his family you cared for him—if even from a distance.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.