Lost my faith in Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2014, 11:32 AM
RE: Lost my faith in Atheism
(02-09-2014 11:30 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(02-09-2014 11:10 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  An atheist is someone who does not believe in God. Which means that there are no atheists, as everyone believes in God.

Telling others that they are wrong in their thinking is one thing.

Being wrong in telling others what they think is another.

Guess which one you fall under. Drinking Beverage

You have a way if knowing something that's not circular and doesn't require God? Do tell. Drinking Beverage

Truth seeker.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2014, 11:37 AM
(02-09-2014 11:32 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(02-09-2014 11:30 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Telling others that they are wrong in their thinking is one thing.

Being wrong in telling others what they think is another.

Guess which one you fall under. Drinking Beverage

You have a way if knowing something that's not circular and doesn't require God? Do tell. Drinking Beverage

No, YOU demonstrate your claims. I owe you nothing since you have not once supported any of your assertions with valid supporting evidence. Despite this, you continue to use these unsubstantiated presuppositions to dismiss the standpoints of others.

And yes that does make you a pompous asshole.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
02-09-2014, 11:49 AM
(02-09-2014 11:31 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(02-09-2014 11:28 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Because I can know things based on evidence, and I can there for examine and peer review your evidence. So put up or shut up

Knowing anything requires God.

And your evidence is?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
02-09-2014, 11:51 AM
(02-09-2014 11:49 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(02-09-2014 11:31 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Knowing anything requires God.

And your evidence is?

Circular reasoning.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
02-09-2014, 12:14 PM
(02-09-2014 11:31 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(02-09-2014 11:28 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Because I can know things based on evidence, and I can there for examine and peer review your evidence. So put up or shut up

Knowing anything requires God.
So then you're saying God gets the blame for your trolling. Got it.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
02-09-2014, 12:35 PM
(01-09-2014 05:18 PM)OurFather Wrote:  I have lost my faith in Atheism Religion.

As a theoretical phsyicist student, I'm prohibited from believing in 'intelligent design'. This is my last year before I graduate and I fear that my theist beliefs that this universe was created by an advanced civilization will hinder me. I need to have be less open minded person and only believe that SCIENCE is the answer to everything. Even though I deep down believe Science and Spirituality is one in the same thing. In fact Science has a finite limit while spirituallity is ever expanding. Our ancient ancestors knew this.

That brings me to the next point, how do I stop reading about ancient archeology and cultures before the Sumerian? Every time I do research on them, I lean away from the path of our faith in 'atheism'.

I hope this website will show me the light that we humans are nothing more than soulless atoms roaming this vast universe.

thanks.

Hello OurFather,

I noticed that you sometimes make grammatical errors in your posts. If you don't mind me asking, is English not your first language? I am not asking in order to humiliate you, rather I would be very impressed if you answered yes. I know it is anything but easy to write in a second or third language, especially when addressing complicated subjects.

You mentioned losing faith in Atheism as a religion. I don't understand what you mean by that. I think I can demonstrate that Atheism is not a religion, and that it has no basis in faith. The easiest way to do that is to define the terms.

Here are some definitions for you to compare. I got them from the Oxford English Dictionary online. Although there are often multiple definitions of these words, I chose the ones most relevant to this discussion. If you feel that I misrepresented something, feel free to link in your own official dictionary source.

Faith:Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

Religion: The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods

Atheism: Disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

According to these official definitions, Atheism must involve the belief in and worship of a god or gods, which is based upon apprehensions rather than proofs, in order to be classified as a faith based religion.

Atheism is the exact antithesis of faith based religion. The position of disbelief denotes no apprehensions at all, merely that there is not enough evidence to make that determination.

Your belief that the entire universe was created by an advanced civilization is interesting to say the least. I do not understand why you call this belief, "Theist", since it does not deal with a deity at all. If I understand you correctly, you are convinced by the arguments presented by the intelligent design community, but only in the context of an alien civilization as the designer. Do you feel that it is necessary to present evidence for this belief you have? If so, do you have any to present?

I am concerned when you talk about being "prohibited" from "belief". I don't think science operates that way. There are no prohibited or mandatory beliefs, as is commonly the case with religions. Science has theories to fit the currently known facts. If your belief in intelligent design causes your coworkers to be concerned for you, I think it may have something to do with the evidence against it. I can understand their concern over a fellow scientist willfully deciding to choose a "belief" rather than accepting what is supported by evidence. Science just isn't done like that.

I think intelligent design has been thoroughly and completely debunked as even a form of science at all. Don't take my word for it though, investigate it for yourself. Read articles and books published by those for and against it. Get a sense of the evidence and the conclusions that follow. You might be surprised and enlightened to discover that you are wrong, and it would actually be a good thing.

I think I can demonstrate that science and spirituality are not the same thing, using the same method of definition that I did before. Here they are:

Science: The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

Spiritual: Of, relating to, or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.

Notice science's use of observation and experimentation. Neither is possible when dealing with the supernatural, including spirits and/or souls. Spirituality is un-testable and un-observable. They are more or less opposed.

Whatever you do, don't stop reading. In fact, read more. Read everything about these subjects that you can get your hands on. It doesn't matter as much what conclusions you draw, it matters how you get to them. My advice is that coming to this community hoping for or expecting a specific conclusion is a mistake.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Phoenix's post
02-09-2014, 12:59 PM
(01-09-2014 05:18 PM)OurFather Wrote:  I have lost my faith in Atheism Religion.

As a theoretical phsyicist student, I'm prohibited from believing in 'intelligent design'. This is my last year before I graduate and I fear that my theist beliefs that this universe was created by an advanced civilization will hinder me. I need to have be less open minded person and only believe that SCIENCE is the answer to everything. Even though I deep down believe Science and Spirituality is one in the same thing. In fact Science has a finite limit while spirituallity is ever expanding. Our ancient ancestors knew this.

That brings me to the next point, how do I stop reading about ancient archeology and cultures before the Sumerian? Every time I do research on them, I lean away from the path of our faith in 'atheism'.

I hope this website will show me the light that we humans are nothing more than soulless atoms roaming this vast universe.

thanks.

Reading about ancient civilizations is good and you should continue to do it.

These ancient peoples didn't believe in "spirituality" at all. They thought gods were real, hence their belief in life having come to earth from some place else. This other place, for them, Niburu, was as real as Earth.

That's the problem, you see. As people learned more about the world and the universe these theories became untenable so the gods who they had thought were real had to have a new "metaphysical" world, a "spiritual" world created for them to live in.

Reading about ancient people's should make you realize that people were as intelligent back then as they are now, and as imaginative. What actually explains how ancient monuments were made by ancient peoples with such accuracy is that the "stone age" people applied their minds to stone craft and other crafts with as much energy and skill as we apply our minds to computer science and modern technology.

Who built the Pyramids? That's easy. I get TV from Eritrea where I live and they show a map of the Red Sea and it stands out a mile. During the last ice age Europeans took refuge further south in the Near East. The map used by the Eritreans shows an area near to Egypt which we call Suez but they call "Suweiss".

Think about it.
02-09-2014, 04:11 PM

thanks.

Atheism is not faith, it is a lack of faith. Saying "I lost my faith in atheism" is like saying "I lost my faith in not believing in fairies". This wording proves that you have always been religious - you're not fooling anyone. In all honesty, I'm not here to convince you that your god doesn't exist for the same reason that I'm not here to convince somebody that leprechauns don't exist. Your god has no proof for its existence, therefor it goes on the same shelf as fairies, leprechauns, and every other man-made mythological figure. You do not get to put your magic on the same shelf as science, because science requires evidence - which you have zero of for your religious claims.

Let's put the scenario like this:

A person makes this claim: "The universe was created by a bunch of invisible fairies. Can you prove that those fairies don't exist? If not, then I'm automatically right, and my beliefs should be taught right alongside science. Besides, I've prayed to the invisible fairies before, and my prayers were answered. My mother was in a car accident and near death, and I prayed to the fairies to help her to make a full recovery, and she did! That is proof right there!"

How is that claim any less credible than your claim about the invisible man in the sky, and the "evidence" that your fellow believers use as examples? Can you disprove that those fairies don't exist?

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
02-09-2014, 04:35 PM
The belief that an advanced civilization created the universe is the same as believing that you impregnated your own mother before you were born.

You're an idiot and a liar

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
02-09-2014, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2014 05:18 PM by WhiskeyDebates.)
(02-09-2014 11:04 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(02-09-2014 11:00 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm still absolutely certain you're an idiot.

Shoo fly!

No you're not, liar. If you believed in absolute certainty, you would be a theist.
Shut your dick holster you have been shown to be not only wrong but a demonstrated lier. Could you stop sucking Syes' cock? Jack it off instead, I doubt you can do that and type and that will free us all from your stupidity.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.