Lost my music

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2012, 06:51 AM
Lost my music
Does anyone know that feeling?
I grew up with music and learnt several instruments over the years. I used to sing a lot. I used to be in all kinds of choirs, bands. I love the stage and also have a youtube channel where, back then, I uploaded some of the covers I sang. Never wrote songs but I liked covering them.

But it really changed a lot. I still love music and I can still sind pretty decent. But I feel like I lost my voice. Apart from in the shower or when I am cleaning the house, I am rarely singing anymore, not making music anymore. Most of the time I don't feel like singing, it's not a phase or depression... It's like that since about 3 or 4 years ago...
Not that I am tired of it, I am just not doing it. Don't even know why.

Any of you guys know this phenomenon? Does it go away?

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2012, 07:30 AM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2012 11:09 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Lost my music
(19-11-2012 06:51 AM)Leela Wrote:  Does anyone know that feeling?
I grew up with music and learnt several instruments over the years. I used to sing a lot. I used to be in all kinds of choirs, bands. I love the stage and also have a youtube channel where, back then, I uploaded some of the covers I sang. Never wrote songs but I liked covering them.

But it really changed a lot. I still love music and I can still sind pretty decent. But I feel like I lost my voice. Apart from in the shower or when I am cleaning the house, I am rarely singing anymore, not making music anymore. Most of the time I don't feel like singing, it's not a phase or depression... It's like that since about 3 or 4 years ago...
Not that I am tired of it, I am just not doing it. Don't even know why.

Any of you guys know this phenomenon? Does it go away?

Lots of people get busy and give it up for a while. If you love it, get back into it. It's still right there. Now GET BUSY. Big Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
Find all posts by this user
19-11-2012, 07:38 AM
I know exactly what you're talking about, I lost my words and colours, I used to write and paint a lot but it has been like 8 years since I did any of those, I tried but it's just useless... it's not there any more Sad

I'm waiting for the summer to try to make something, hopefully with more time in my hands I may come up with something

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
19-11-2012, 07:54 AM
I stopped writing poetry some time ago.

Just didn't have a muse.

It was around the time I got married Consider

I wrote one or two after I was emancipated but not to the same level.

I have started again ... when I put something into Poets' Corner here on TTA.

The one I wrote for Egor was perhaps getting close to the standard I use to achieve but I'm definitely still rusty.

As an aside, I would love to hear that one read by Seth... such rich base tones. Maybe if he ever does a podcast about atheist literature... nah! Just dreaming.

Anyway, I think it's never too late to restart something you love doing and it's perhaps wise not to expect too much of yourself too soon.

The hard part is finding some time to set aside to focus on it.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
19-11-2012, 09:49 AM
nach_in & DLJ, yes I used to write a lot as well. Both stories and poems. I think I also lost that... It's a weird feeling. When I read my stuff from back then it feels like it wasn't even me.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-11-2012, 10:59 AM
(19-11-2012 09:49 AM)Leela Wrote:  nach_in & DLJ, yes I used to write a lot as well. Both stories and poems. I think I also lost that... It's a weird feeling. When I read my stuff from back then it feels like it wasn't even me.

Yes I get that feeling when I read posts on here that I wrote last week!

19-11-2012, 11:06 AM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2012 11:26 AM by Vera.)
Hey Leela,
I have the same issue with writing, as you do. Actually, I've only ever written stuff when I've had to (uni and learning Portuguese). I've been meaning to type up my Portuguese tales (not to mention translate them into English) for ages, but can't seem to get around to doing it. Keep telling myself I'll do it when I have more time...

Except for haikus, those I write whenever the mood strikes, but it's been striking with a decreasing frequency...

Don't know about music, though, if I had had professional experience, it would be difficult for me to stop doing it, but that's because music means way too much to me. But maybe you're just having an off period, you know, when you stop doing something for a while, only to go back to it with renewed appreciation and thirst for it.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
19-11-2012, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2012 04:36 PM by Logica Humano.)
Sometimes, if I don't masturbate in a day, I can feel my pipes getting rusty.

I feel the same way, it has to do with practice and repetition. No one is "natural" at anything.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post