Lots of cool and helpful scientific developments.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2015, 02:16 PM
Lots of cool and helpful scientific developments.
Just some scientific news I thought was pretty cool and would share.

#1. First Contracting Human Muscle grown at Duke University.
Researchers have successfully grown a human muscle that reacts to external stimuli. This muscle will help scientists test new medicine and study diseases that affect muscles without needing a person.
Source

#2. Electrical stimulation can tune visual attention.
Scientists at Vanderbilt University were able to pass very weak electrical current through volunteers brains and found with this electrical stimulation, the volunteers were able to find an object hidden within a pile of other objects more quickly and easily.
Source

#3. Cone Snail venom could help with lung cancer, nicotine addiction.
Studies at Florida Atlantic University have shown cone snail venom contains the compound RegIIA, which potently blocks the receptor that when activated, is associated with lung cancer and nicotine addiction.
Source

Science is looking bright in helping us deal with the many issues we face as humans. With more time science will help us more and more. This is why science is so amazing to me and why I love it.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
14-01-2015, 02:34 PM
RE: Lots of cool and helpful scientific developments.
[Image: tumblr_static_science_shirt_front_thumb.png]

So if I stick my finger in the wall socket, I'll be able to find my cigarettes more quickly?

Awesome.

I'll give that a try.

Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
14-01-2015, 02:37 PM
(14-01-2015 02:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  [Image: tumblr_static_science_shirt_front_thumb.png]

So if I stick my finger in the wall socket, I'll be able to find my cigarettes more quickly?

Awesome.

I'll give that a try.

Big Grin

Well I'm no scientist but I think that would be too much electricity Laugh out load but again, I'm no scientist so who knows, it may work Smile

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
14-01-2015, 03:03 PM
(14-01-2015 02:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  So if I stick my finger in the wall socket, I'll be able to find my cigarettes more quickly?

No, no, no. You take an electrical cord, clip off the end that doesn't plug into the wall socket, separate the wires, strip the insulation and stick the two connections into your ears. Now plug it in. If you've managed to avoid being bitten by cone snails during the process then you should be able to find your cigarettes more quickly.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
14-01-2015, 03:54 PM
(14-01-2015 03:03 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(14-01-2015 02:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  So if I stick my finger in the wall socket, I'll be able to find my cigarettes more quickly?

No, no, no. You take an electrical cord, clip off the end that doesn't plug into the wall socket, separate the wires, strip the insulation and stick the two connections into your ears. Now plug it in. If you've managed to avoid being bitten by cone snails during the process then you should be able to find your cigarettes more quickly.

Gotta feeling that might cause some muscle contraction too.

Ta-da! We have found a unified theory of everything.

Well done, chaps.

Smartass

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post