Louis CK joke about atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Louis CK joke about atheism
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment...-1.1310825

Quote:But it wasn’t C.K.’s claim that some or even most atheists are arrogant. His profoundly disappointing take was that it’s inherently arrogant to not believe in God. "You can only see for two miles!" he shouted, hopefully a metaphor for the limits of human knowledge. Fair enough. On a philosophical level, all but the most stubborn atheists will admit their agnosticism—usually in the same breath as their agnosticism regarding ghosts, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and the reptile-people who secretly live among us, nefariously controlling all geopolitical affairs.

I'm not especially disappointed. Louis CK is a talented man and I still enjoy most of his work. He's one of the most hysterically funny comedians in America today. He might discover that he is an atheist if he understood what the word really means.

I wasn't there for the show, so I don't know exactly what he said. Has anyone seen his new HBO special? Is there anything in that about atheism?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2013, 01:23 PM
RE: Louis CK joke about atheism
I was under the impression that Louis C.K. was an atheist...Blink

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
09-04-2013, 01:30 PM
"I was under the impression that Louis C.K. was an atheist..."

Me too, based on how his TV series plays out...he's criticized religion a couple of times. Perhaps he's not into organized belief but is still open to the idea of God? Huh
09-04-2013, 01:44 PM
I label myself as Atheist, and I have no qualm with what he said. A bit is a bit, and if he's genuine, I have no qualm either. I disagree with the what was said though.

Actually, I'll go even further. I loathe agnostics. Agnostics say "In instances of untestable claims I feverishly reserve judgement!"

"Are you agnostic about the Lochness monster?"
"Ha-ha! There's no evidence of any kind! We've searched every foot of the Loch."
"How about a purely magical Ness that can erase memories or travel time before just as it is about to be discovered?"
"ALAS! I must be agnostic.. even though the initial claims have no basis in reality."

Oh you Agnostics Weeping
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
09-04-2013, 05:02 PM
That's what those crazy Irish Catholic learnins will do to some folks. It's just a matter of him seeing it some way. Hell Penn Jillete likes to say he is BEYOND atheism. It can go to some odd degrees with entertainers. It's not like he is Steve Harvey.

The thing that disappointing me is how similar this joke is to Louie's joke about people bitching about cell phone service.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
09-04-2013, 06:33 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2013 07:23 PM by cbb2274.)
(09-04-2013 05:02 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  That's what those crazy Irish Catholic learnins will do to some folks. It's just a matter of him seeing it some way. Hell Penn Jillete likes to say he is BEYOND atheism. It can go to some odd degrees with entertainers. It's not like he is Steve Harvey.

The thing that disappointing me is how similar this joke is to Louie's joke about people bitching about cell phone service.

That is disappointing. He seems to think this is something selfish and childish. Realizing my atheism was a profound experience that tested my courage.

I think people who leave religion sometimes take a lot of baggage with them. They still think that you must have faith in something. Maybe he's holding on to some fragment of religion in disdaining atheism so he can fake Christianity on his deathbed and get into heaven Pascal-style. Maybe he just has a lot of religious friends and he's humbled himself in conversation by saying, "Oh well, I don't know. I guess it's just as likely that there's a god", so many times that he finally believes it.

Do you think we're putting him up on a pedestal by talking about him as if a comedian's opinion of atheism matters, or is it a worthwhile discussion because he's so popular and influential now?
[+] 1 user Likes cbb2274's post
09-04-2013, 06:44 PM
I think that the bit might have been a little poorly thought out, whatever his views on god are. I think the man is hilarious either way, and who knows what his collective experiences with atheists is.

Maybe his first foray into exploring atheism was to get into the atheism+ world. I can see where he would be put off. Fact is, we don't know, so we can't really judge without hearing a full explanation from him. All we have is a short quote from a comedy show.

Hardly enough to get upset about.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
09-04-2013, 06:55 PM
(09-04-2013 06:44 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I think that the bit might have been a little poorly thought out, whatever his views on god are. I think the man is hilarious either way, and who knows what his collective experiences with atheists is.

Maybe his first foray into exploring atheism was to get into the atheism+ world. I can see where he would be put off. Fact is, we don't know, so we can't really judge without hearing a full explanation from him. All we have is a short quote from a comedy show.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm definitely buying the DVD of his new special. The man is fraking brilliant.
09-04-2013, 08:00 PM
(09-04-2013 06:55 PM)cbb2274 Wrote:  
(09-04-2013 06:44 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I think that the bit might have been a little poorly thought out, whatever his views on god are. I think the man is hilarious either way, and who knows what his collective experiences with atheists is.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm definitely buying the DVD of his new special. The man is fraking brilliant.

I do love me some Louis. Not sure where he goes wrong with his TV shows. The first one was so damn self deprecating it was hard to watch, and I just can't get into his new one. The stand up is where he shines.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
09-04-2013, 08:10 PM
(09-04-2013 08:00 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(09-04-2013 06:55 PM)cbb2274 Wrote:  Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm definitely buying the DVD of his new special. The man is fraking brilliant.

I do love me some Louis. Not sure where he goes wrong with his TV shows. The first one was so damn self deprecating it was hard to watch, and I just can't get into his new one. The stand up is where he shines.

Different strokes for different folks. I didn't see much of his old show, but I love the new one. It's not really laugh-out-loud funny. Some of the episodes are not really too funny at all, but they're worth watching because they take you places that other shows can't. I get it if it leaves you cold though. It's not really what I was expecting it to be. Sometimes it's difficult to watch him humiliate himself.
[+] 1 user Likes cbb2274's post