Louis CK joke about atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2013, 08:53 PM
RE: Louis CK joke about atheism
(09-04-2013 08:10 PM)cbb2274 Wrote:  
(09-04-2013 08:00 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I do love me some Louis. Not sure where he goes wrong with his TV shows. The first one was so damn self deprecating it was hard to watch, and I just can't get into his new one. The stand up is where he shines.

Different strokes for different folks. I didn't see much of his old show, but I love the new one. It's not really laugh-out-loud funny. Some of the episodes are not really too funny at all, but they're worth watching because they take you places that other shows can't. I get it if it leaves you cold though. It's not really what I was expecting it to be. Sometimes it's difficult to watch him humiliate himself.

Well to be honest, him humiliating himself is what makes him so hilarious. But for me personally it only works when he's laughing right along with you. The new show does have some pretty good stuff in it though.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2014, 07:29 PM
If I remember what he said correctly, he's making the common mistake that an atheist can't be an agnostic and vice versa. An atheist doesn't deny the possibility of a deity, it's just a belief or opinion. Agnostics acknowledge that there is no proof of a god and no proof that there isn't.

From Wikipedia:
Agnostic atheism - The view of those who do not believe in the existence of any deity, but do not claim to know if a deity does or does not exist.
[+] 1 user Likes YourFaithIsDead's post
20-05-2014, 07:44 PM
(09-04-2013 01:44 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  I label myself as Atheist, and I have no qualm with what he said. A bit is a bit, and if he's genuine, I have no qualm either. I disagree with the what was said though.

Actually, I'll go even further. I loathe agnostics. Agnostics say "In instances of untestable claims I feverishly reserve judgement!"

"Are you agnostic about the Lochness monster?"
"Ha-ha! There's no evidence of any kind! We've searched every foot of the Loch."
"How about a purely magical Ness that can erase memories or travel time before just as it is about to be discovered?"
"ALAS! I must be agnostic.. even though the initial claims have no basis in reality."

Oh you Agnostics Weeping

Agnosticism is an acknowledgement of fact to anyone with a half a brain. There is no proof of a deity, but there is also no proof that there isn't. Agree with this statement? Then you're an agnostic. Your loch ness monster story, well humorous, does not grasp the definition.
[+] 1 user Likes YourFaithIsDead's post
21-05-2014, 01:51 AM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2014 03:57 AM by pablo.)
I just read a bunch of categories I'm not familiar with.
One of the things that told me atheism was where I needed to be was lack of belief.
The big thing actually...let the man figure it out.
21-05-2014, 02:57 AM
I guess I'm missing something because I read the article and watched Oh My God, and I didn't see/hear that joke anywhere...

I have laughed, in bitterness and agony of heart, at the contrast between what I seem and what I am!
Nathaniel Hawthorne
21-05-2014, 03:14 AM
Well, whatever his belief may be, he certainly isn't afraid to make fun of Yahweh or the Bible.

After all, God is like a shitty girlfriend...

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
23-05-2014, 04:46 PM
(21-05-2014 02:57 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I guess I'm missing something because I read the article and watched Oh My God, and I didn't see/hear that joke anywhere...

I think it was actually in his show. Could be wrong.
23-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Louis CK joke about atheism
(20-05-2014 07:44 PM)YourFaithIsDead Wrote:  
(09-04-2013 01:44 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  I label myself as Atheist, and I have no qualm with what he said. A bit is a bit, and if he's genuine, I have no qualm either. I disagree with the what was said though.

Actually, I'll go even further. I loathe agnostics. Agnostics say "In instances of untestable claims I feverishly reserve judgement!"

"Are you agnostic about the Lochness monster?"
"Ha-ha! There's no evidence of any kind! We've searched every foot of the Loch."
"How about a purely magical Ness that can erase memories or travel time before just as it is about to be discovered?"
"ALAS! I must be agnostic.. even though the initial claims have no basis in reality."

Oh you Agnostics Weeping

Agnosticism is an acknowledgement of fact to anyone with a half a brain. There is no proof of a deity, but there is also no proof that there isn't. Agree with this statement? Then you're an agnostic. Your loch ness monster story, well humorous, does not grasp the definition.

That, and if you're going to complain about withholding judgement with insufficient evidence for or against, you should also take this beef up with the Scientific Method.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
23-05-2014, 09:22 PM
I love Louis CK. I'm sure if he made a joke about atheists then it was funny. Whats wrong with laughing at ourselves every once in a while? Also, I don't watch him for brilliant philosophical insights, I watch him because he makes me shit myself with laughter.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post