Louisiana- World's Highest Prison Population

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Louisiana- World's Highest Prison Population
Summary:

Apparently 1 in 86 adults are doing time, and 1 in 14 black men in New Orleans. Twice the incarceration rate of most other states. This article points at the for-profit private prison system being the reason for this. Sheriffs have a vested interest in keeping people behind bars- they use the state money to fund their private prisons, often providing only the bare minimum for prisoners. Extra services for the prisoners (like educational programs, work-training programs, etc.) costs more, and eats into profit. The profit is used to fund the sheriffs' law enforcement arm (new squad cars, laptops, guns, etc.). Powerful lobbies prevent changes in laws that could lessen how many criminals spend time behind bars or the length of time served.

The result is that Louisiana's incarceration rate is twice other states. The state is tough on crime. Many behind bars in private prisons are offered no opportunity to improve themselves after they leave. More and more money goes toward keeping people in prison and less goes toward keeping them out of trouble in the first place- school funding, incentive programs, etc.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2012...rison.html

This is why the idea of private prisons makes me cringe.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
14-05-2012, 05:48 PM
RE: Louisiana- World's Highest Prison Population
Private prisons suck. But they make some damn fine food down in Louisiana. Makes their fucked up prison system almost forgivable.

You have just begun reading the sentence you have just finished reading.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
14-05-2012, 06:07 PM
It's kind of odd to me to hear that statistic. I remember when I moved to Everett, Wa. (Navy) I met 3 people in my first 2 days that had recently had their car stolen. I had never known or known of anyone that had ever had a car stolen.

I guess what I mean is that I don't see the crimes or know anyone involved. Whether criminal or victim. You'd think with such a high rate of crime I'd know more people involved.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
14-05-2012, 06:34 PM
(14-05-2012 06:07 PM)germanyt Wrote:  It's kind of odd to me to hear that statistic. I remember when I moved to Everett, Wa. (Navy) I met 3 people in my first 2 days that had recently had their car stolen. I had never known or known of anyone that had ever had a car stolen.

I guess what I mean is that I don't see the crimes or know anyone involved. Whether criminal or victim. You'd think with such a high rate of crime I'd know more people involved.

According to the article it's a combination of both very strict sentencing and shuffling the inmates around. A lot of them come from inner cities. Others come from drug possession. Having personal experience or directly hearing about it isn't necessarily a good barometer for there being a legitimately serious issue for the positive or negative.
14-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Plus once you go to prison you cant vote. Not like other country's. our mid evil system to repress voters rights allot like Muslim country's. It's like if you have a drug crime in your past you cant think to vote. It's a way to keep blacks out of the voting system.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
14-05-2012, 06:50 PM
(14-05-2012 06:44 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  Plus once you go to prison you cant vote. Not like other country's. our mid evil system to repress voters rights allot like Muslim country's. It's like if you have a drug crime in your past you cant think to vote. It's a way to keep blacks out of the voting system.
Do you really think that somewhere, at some point, someone said 'hey, let's stop blacks from voting by taking away a felons right to vote'? I personally think that felons should be allowed to vote.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
14-05-2012, 06:53 PM
(14-05-2012 06:50 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(14-05-2012 06:44 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  Plus once you go to prison you cant vote. Not like other country's. our mid evil system to repress voters rights allot like Muslim country's. It's like if you have a drug crime in your past you cant think to vote. It's a way to keep blacks out of the voting system.
Do you really think that somewhere, at some point, someone said 'hey, let's stop blacks from voting by taking away a felons right to vote'? I personally think that felons should be allowed to vote.
Yes I do!!! Especially down south.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
[+] 1 user Likes N.E.OhioAtheist's post
14-05-2012, 06:58 PM
(14-05-2012 06:50 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
Seems reasonable, because you know they would likely vote democrat.

The prison system in the US is privatized, and they make money by keeping people in jail. They actually lobby for things like that, and against drug legalization, because they make more money that way.

The US has like 5% of the words population, but 25% of the worlds prison population. That is just pathetic, and the cause is the disparity in wealth. Its pretty much a cause of every major problem within the US actually.
14-05-2012, 07:00 PM
(14-05-2012 06:53 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  
(14-05-2012 06:50 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Do you really think that somewhere, at some point, someone said 'hey, let's stop blacks from voting by taking away a felons right to vote'? I personally think that felons should be allowed to vote.
Yes I do!!! Especially down south.
I don't know, man. That's a hard pill to swallow. Maybe I just have too much confidence in our officials. I mean, I know a lot of racists. A lot of them. But I still have a hard time picturing it.

-Mark Twain
14-05-2012, 07:04 PM
(14-05-2012 06:58 PM)Diablo Wrote:  
(14-05-2012 06:50 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Do you really think that somewhere, at some point, someone said 'hey, let's stop blacks from voting by taking away a felons right to vote'? I personally think that felons should be allowed to vote.
Seems reasonable, because you know they would likely vote democrat.
Maybe but plenty of democrats, even black democrats get elected here. The mayor of Baton Rouge is black and a Dem.

He's my best friend's dad and I think he's a great mayor. And I'm a white registered Republican with a racist family.
http://brgov.com/Dept/Mayor/bio.htm

-Mark Twain