Louisiana democrats to repeal creationism laws

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2015, 06:18 AM
Louisiana democrats to repeal creationism laws
creationism

Quote:Louisiana lawmakers are debating whether to repeal a law that allows public school teachers to include theological arguments about human biology in high school science classes.

When the Louisiana Science Education Act was passed in 2008, some supporters believed it would foster discussion about evolutionary theory in biology classes. Instead, it has been used as a means of importing creationist theology in through the proverbial “back door” under the guise of “academic freedom” and “intellectual integrity.”

These laws shouldn't had existed to begin with.

You wouldn't want your children learning about tarrot cards, healing crystals and homeopathy in science class, so why make them learn this stuff when its not science?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Shadow Fox's post
24-04-2015, 06:55 AM
RE: Louisiana democrats to repeal creationism laws
I was going to say that if parents are so bent on their own kids learning creationism as fact, they should either enroll them into religious schools or home school themselves, but then I thought about it and it's still cruelly deceptive. Especially when those kids come of age and go out into the real world and discover that everything they were ever taught was a lie.

If it's against the law to false advertise, it should be against the law to teach myths as fact to children who obviously don't know better. I don't know how something like that could ever pass as law though.

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
[+] 4 users Like kristenkjordan's post
24-04-2015, 09:12 AM
(24-04-2015 06:55 AM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  I was going to say that if parents are so bent on their own kids learning creationism as fact, they should either enroll them into religious schools or home school themselves, but then I thought about it and it's still cruelly deceptive. Especially when those kids come of age and go out into the real world and discover that everything they were ever taught was a lie.

If it's against the law to false advertise, it should be against the law to teach myths as fact to children who obviously don't know better. I don't know how something like that could ever pass as law though.

The idea that parents have an innate right to school their kids anyway they want is a thought process that needs to die. Home and religious based primary and secondary curriculums should have the same basic requirements as the public school system.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
24-04-2015, 09:16 AM
(24-04-2015 09:12 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 06:55 AM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  I was going to say that if parents are so bent on their own kids learning creationism as fact, they should either enroll them into religious schools or home school themselves, but then I thought about it and it's still cruelly deceptive. Especially when those kids come of age and go out into the real world and discover that everything they were ever taught was a lie.

The idea that parents have an innate right to school their kids anyway they want is a thought process that needs to die. Home and religious based primary and secondary curriculums should have the same basic requirements as the public school system.

When I was homeschooled, we still had to pass standardized end of year tests. It varies by state though.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
24-04-2015, 10:57 AM
Yea, the scopes trial and the Dover trial have said both Creationism and ID are not science. This is just an attempt to turn public schools into Christian indoctrination centers.

These same morons would not buy a science class if it sold Allah as the cause.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
24-04-2015, 06:33 PM

I agree, I view that as a form of child abuse. Indoctrination by a parent to a child is robbing that child of the ability to independently think and comprehend the real world around them, then as you said, when they get into the big REAL world and discover everything they were told by their parents was a lie, there is a huge and painful emotional adjustment period....like finding out all over again that Santa Claus is fake, but on a epic scale...

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
25-04-2015, 06:36 AM
(24-04-2015 06:33 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  

I agree, I view that as a form of child abuse. Indoctrination by a parent to a child is robbing that child of the ability to independently think and comprehend the real world around them, then as you said, when they get into the big REAL world and discover everything they were told by their parents was a lie, there is a huge and painful emotional adjustment period....like finding out all over again that Santa Claus is fake, but on a epic scale...

I was actually afraid to label it as child abuse but you put it into perspective that makes sense.

I used to think that government shouldn't meddle in the affairs of how parents raise their children but when I thought about it on a grander scale, especially when it comes to education, that's something that directly and indirectly affects everyone as we live in a time where misinformation is still just as easily passed around and in turn, slows us down and makes us weaker as a society.

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
[+] 2 users Like kristenkjordan's post
25-04-2015, 01:13 PM
(25-04-2015 06:36 AM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  I used to think that government shouldn't meddle in the affairs of how parents raise their children

I can see how people come to that point of view. But I believe it's not government that's the problem with this issue.

If a parent (or parents) wants their kids exposed to the idea of creationism, they have several possibilities

1) they can enroll their kids at a church-based school that teaches ID
2) they can ask for some of their church members to come up with some sort of teaching material which will be used in some sort of Sunday school lessons
3) they can sit their own kid down and go through the arguments for ID in the privacy of their home.

What they want to do is to ensure that ALL kids are exposed to ID. They don't like the idea that the government "forces" learning material that they don't believe in on their kids, but have no problem imposing learning material on other people's kids when those other people don't believe in it.
28-04-2015, 02:27 AM
(25-04-2015 01:13 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(25-04-2015 06:36 AM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  I used to think that government shouldn't meddle in the affairs of how parents raise their children

I can see how people come to that point of view. But I believe it's not government that's the problem with this issue.

If a parent (or parents) wants their kids exposed to the idea of creationism, they have several possibilities

1) they can enroll their kids at a church-based school that teaches ID
2) they can ask for some of their church members to come up with some sort of teaching material which will be used in some sort of Sunday school lessons
3) they can sit their own kid down and go through the arguments for ID in the privacy of their home.

What they want to do is to ensure that ALL kids are exposed to ID. They don't like the idea that the government "forces" learning material that they don't believe in on their kids, but have no problem imposing learning material on other people's kids when those other people don't believe in it.

reason they won't follow #3 is because their terrified of the prospect that they'll find out its all bullshit like we've been telling em for decades
28-04-2015, 05:51 AM
I look forward to the future when sanity prevails, and religious education is seen for what it truly is - child abuse.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post