Louisiana democrats to repeal creationism laws

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2015, 06:16 AM
RE: Louisiana democrats to repeal creationism laws
Home schooling is in the process of changing. There are now teachers online teaching the curriculum, and students can choose to go to school at home - which then does not mean that the parents teach or design the curriculum. It just means the kids can stay home. The service is free. The kid gets individual attention from the teacher. It is advertized as letting kids advance at their individual pace within the curriculum, meaning that you have to reach a certain standard, but nothing keeps you from advancing faster...

I can see how that is wonderful for some kids with disabilities and how it is much better than traditional homeschooling. But - other than that, I think it may deprive the kids of learning social interaction with peers. The early school years are when the kid learns to see him/herself in relation to others, gets a sense of self and figures out how to interact socially. I don't think it's wise to keep kids at home and omit the socialization. I do think a combo of physically going to school and online teaching would be excellent for all though.

If you have a baby, now's the time to get involved locally to achieve an outcome you like when your kid gets to go to school.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
28-04-2015, 07:20 AM
Re: RE: Louisiana democrats to repeal creationism laws
Yes, depriving children of social interaction is a bad idea.

While some homeschooling parents do put their kids in a bubble to protect them from outside influences, it cannot be said that all do.

Many hs parents join groups designed for socialization. They organize meet ups at parks, educational field trips, etc.

Many places have activities (sports, dance, music) that are available to all children.

If a secular group is not available, hs parents can organize similar outings within their own group of friends.

There are many opportunities for appropriate social interaction outside of the school setting.
[+] 1 user Likes mecanna's post
28-04-2015, 07:45 AM
Schools should not be allowed to teach creationism in a science class ever regardless of whether it's a public, private, or homeschool.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
28-04-2015, 07:47 AM
(28-04-2015 07:20 AM)mecanna Wrote:  Yes, depriving children of social interaction is a bad idea.

While some homeschooling parents do put their kids in a bubble to protect them from outside influences, it cannot be said that all do.

Many hs parents join groups designed for socialization. They organize meet ups at parks, educational field trips, etc.

Many places have activities (sports, dance, music) that are available to all children.

If a secular group is not available, hs parents can organize similar outings within their own group of friends.

There are many opportunities for appropriate social interaction outside of the school setting.

As long as the parents don't hover during this socialization - school kind of cuts the cord, the kid can't just run to mom.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
28-04-2015, 07:49 AM
(28-04-2015 06:16 AM)Dom Wrote:  Home schooling is in the process of changing. There are now teachers online teaching the curriculum, and students can choose to go to school at home - which then does not mean that the parents teach or design the curriculum. It just means the kids can stay home. The service is free. The kid gets individual attention from the teacher. It is advertized as letting kids advance at their individual pace within the curriculum, meaning that you have to reach a certain standard, but nothing keeps you from advancing faster...

I can see how that is wonderful for some kids with disabilities and how it is much better than traditional homeschooling. But - other than that, I think it may deprive the kids of learning social interaction with peers. The early school years are when the kid learns to see him/herself in relation to others, gets a sense of self and figures out how to interact socially. I don't think it's wise to keep kids at home and omit the socialization. I do think a combo of physically going to school and online teaching would be excellent for all though.

If you have a baby, now's the time to get involved locally to achieve an outcome you like when your kid gets to go to school.

I wish they would let kids advance at their own pace in public schools. Kindergarten can be really boring for a kid who reads at a second or third grade reading level. I like home school because it means you don't have to dwell on something your kid picked up 3 weeks ago, but most kids have a really hard time fitting in after being homeschooled. Not everyone, but most.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
28-04-2015, 10:06 AM
(28-04-2015 07:45 AM)Losty Wrote:  Schools should not be allowed to teach creationism in a science class ever regardless of whether it's a public, private, or homeschool.

Agreed: kids should learn things that are facts, as part of their education. Creationists liking to pretend that evolution is something other than a fact should have no bearing on that.
28-04-2015, 07:58 PM
I was actually homeschooled in the 7th grade. My mom, at first, picked up homeschooling supplies from a christian store because she was planning on homeschooling me but for some reason (THANKFULLY) it didn't end up working out and she enrolled me into a digital academy that had actual teachers working from a basic curriculum.

Only thing that sucked about homeschooling was that she made me wake up at 9 every morning. I mean, what was the point of homeschooling if I wasn't allowed to sleep in?! Weeping

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
[+] 1 user Likes kristenkjordan's post