Poll: Why we feel love? Evolution? or God?
God
Evolution
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Love.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2011, 01:12 AM
Love.
Why and How evolution choose human beings as the only ones who can feel Love?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2011, 01:46 AM
RE: Love.
Welcome to the forum.

I have a couple problems with this poll. First, on an atheist site, where 99% of the members are atheists, I'd say it's pretty reasonable to expect 99% of the Answers to be evolution. I doubt you'll gather much interesting info with the poll. Second (and possibly an interesting topic for discussion) is, what makes you say say humans are the only animals to feel love? It's an honest question. Is there a way to determine if an animal can feel love?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
31-08-2011, 02:17 AM
(31-08-2011 01:46 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Welcome to the forum.

I have a couple problems with this poll. First, on an atheist site, where 99% of the members are atheists, I'd say it's pretty reasonable to expect 99% of the Answers to be evolution. I doubt you'll gather much interesting info with the poll. Second (and possibly an interesting topic for discussion) is, what makes you say say humans are the only animals to feel love? It's an honest question. Is there a way to determine if an animal can feel love?

Sorry but im dying to see what people think about this dificult Topic,and i want to know if anyone can help me with this,im just curious,if somebody can share a light in this one for me i would be greatful.(Im an atheist too,but the one thing that i don't see in nature that i see on us is Love.that confuses me).PD,Im not talking about the tiger protecting her cubs love,im talking about long term intensity human love,and the ability of suffering because of it.
31-08-2011, 04:40 AM
I don't think only humans feel love. I think to a certain extent animals such as pets do too.
31-08-2011, 08:15 AM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2011 09:59 AM by Peterkin.)
Why dismiss maternal love ("I don't mean a tiger protecting her cubs") as insignificant? It's one of the most potent and enduring forces in nature and it's the source of all other love. If you haven't received love in early life, human or otherwise, it's difficult, if not impossible to generate or share or accept it in adulthood. The impulse to love is innate; the expressions of it are learned.

Have you ever had a pet? A dog can love you like hardly any human ever can.
Have you ever had two pets? Two dogs, two cats, a cat and dog, a horse and a goat can love each other. Maybe they're too sensible to suffer for it, but they will certainly take risks in the defense or rescue of a friend. Many other species also mate for life and are far more loyal, and usually (though not always) more faithful than humans.

Love, its varieties and complexities, evolved right along with intelligence and sociability.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
31-08-2011, 08:58 AM
I agree with Peterkin. Plus, love makes perfect sense on an evolutionary perspective. Those that not only develop love, but that express it, are possibly more likely to be better suited to procreate. Giving love often involves protection, and recieving it means being protected. So if caveman has an unusually strong bond with cavewoman, she is more likely to accept him as a mate because she recognizes that he will protect her and her offspring, resulting in a better chance of her passing on her genes (and therefore also his).

It's how evolution works. Aint it grand!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
31-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks for tackling this discussion for me Peterkin. I'm confused why this is such a hot topic for you? I can't see why love would be seen as any less natural than any other mental activity. I've not seen anything uniquely human, though humans would suggest differently. I also dislike how people discuss a non-human experiencing something to a lesser extent as if they can't fully experience it.

Though Peterkin oftentimes a dog will remember a lost companion and keep a keepsake of them. Everything has a short and long term memory and you never know what will imprint where.

It's also easiest to disprove by looking to other primates which have been seen to be nearly identical to humans in their mental activities. The only limits non-humans have are not being able to access human innovations which might not be a bad thing. I believe part of the deeper understanding of primates is that the similarities in facial structure allow for the human to distinguish emotional responses more appropriately.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
31-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Agreed with previous posters. Think of love on an evolutionary scale. The more prehistoric creatures- sharks, alligators- have nil for affection. Then some birds can show affection, not all. Some mate for life! Then you have elephant families and dolphins- who mourn and even ceremonially burry their loved ones.
To answer your question after exempting your assumption of only humans loving, love evolved as a helpful empathy emotion (empathy is the basic caring emotion others are based on) to help survival. We are stronger as a group and we realized, and we can empathize with how another is feeling, physically and emotionally. Over time we longed not to be alone and to find someone or units (family circles, friendship circles) to share life with and to LOVE. Smile
31-08-2011, 09:19 AM
I posted something about this in another thread but I never actually addressed it as "love." For some individuals it is more beneficial for their long term reproductive success to find one mate and to stick with them for life. This ensures a mating partner who is available to split the cost of procreation and rearing of offspring. Love is (in my opinion) a connection and a bond between two partners that is rooted in procreation. As for love from a homosexual sense, I believe it is still the same thing. Biologically they are incapable of procreation but adoption and/or one of them being genetically tied to a child is still a viable option.

As for those that are in "love" and have no plans to raise offspring, it is about companionship. We are social animals and a partner to help us with our day to day lives is crucial. We can split the costs of chores and the cost of living so that each partner has a more comfortable life.

Ain't love grand?!

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
31-08-2011, 09:28 AM
(31-08-2011 08:58 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I agree with Peterkin. Plus, love makes perfect sense on an evolutionary perspective. Those that not only develop love, but that express it, are possibly more likely to be better suited to procreate. Giving love often involves protection, and recieving it means being protected. So if caveman has an unusually strong bond with cavewoman, she is more likely to accept him as a mate because she recognizes that he will protect her and her offspring, resulting in a better chance of her passing on her genes (and therefore also his).

It's how evolution works. Aint it grand!

I agree with you,Evolution is amazing,But why do we experience this Great pain when we lose someone we love?I mean if it takes the kind of pain that can drive people insane why nature keep this way of securing our survival ,Don't you think is a lilte bit Cruel?