Love.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Love.
One of those tangible things that can come fleetingly and sometimes without our control......something that can be described as wonderfull and has many films, books, poems, pictures and music done in its description and honour......its something that can have what can be seen as "positive effects" but sometimes those effects are not deemed so "positive" and with the removal or even lack of love we can get what seems as "negative effects"

(obviously all taken into account by the viewer)

The feeling of love also brings other emotions and feelings....it can bring (Dis)respect, (Mis)trust
, (Un)Happiness, peace/dischord.

What is love??? With something that seems to cover such large of a scale then the abstract seems to fit better in describing. I would say it is like a connection.....wether thats looking into your partners eyes whilst making love, to sharing a joke and laughing your heads off together.... or smiling and recalling memories and the feelings of that moment. You can feel this "experience" completley on your own in the middle of nowhere........or you can feel this amongst thousands of other people yet you wouldnt even notice them.

With something so freely available what is it that you peeps think that causes us to love......is it something that has be to taught to be felt, experienced or a mixture of the two......and if that is partly the case then where lies the problems in educating the world on this matter......or do you think its as simple as neurons firing in a particualr manner.....from the effect it can have physically,mentally and even spiritually on us (energy/depression)

There seems to be a certain set of "needs" from love that are either a result of or a direction towards......to survive a human needs the basic needs of food, water, warmth/shelter and human companionship.....however at its most strongest love doesnt need anything other than that "connection"???

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2012, 09:59 AM
RE: Love.

Other than just being a chemical reaction that I believe evolution concocted in order for our species to continue making nookie, it is both the best and worst thing we have as humans. It can make you feel like you're the happiest and strongest person on the whole planet.... or it can make you feel miserable, sick, mentally challenged, or like killing yourself and the whole world.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
08-02-2012, 10:03 AM
All I can say on love is to know it you must have lost someone once to feel it. If you really love deeply and lose that person it will physically hurt. A pain that will be with you for a long time. Kind of a scar on your heart. I cant explain it. I have lost my grand child at 3weeks old. I have lost a woman I had loved more than life itself. I cant say my life has been easy. It's been 7 years and i still haven't been able to date. I guess I really did love that woman!!
[+] 2 users Like N.E.OhioAtheist's post
08-02-2012, 10:28 AM
(08-02-2012 09:54 AM)bemore Wrote:  What is love???

I have said this before, long time ago, on another thread:

You love another person when that person's happiness is a prerequisite of your own.
[+] 4 users Like Zat's post
08-02-2012, 10:48 AM
The problem I see when discussing "love" is that it has become a over-used, mis-used blanket term to describe a set of feelings one has for another being.

Sadly "love" often has had sexual connotations attached to it so that any mention of "love" is automatically equated with some sort of sexual attraction.
Even the term "intimate" has largely become a sexual word or had sexual connotations when all it means is "close". So if someone said their friendship was "intimate" then many people will take that to assume it has sexual tones to it.

Anyways...I have never felt "love" on any level other than platonic such as love for a parent, a neighbors child or a pet so my experiences are rather limited.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
08-02-2012, 10:52 AM
(08-02-2012 10:28 AM)Zat Wrote:  

You love another person when that person's happiness is a prerequisite of your own.

So if you can't be happy unless another is happy then you love that person? I like that.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
08-02-2012, 11:32 AM
How is the death of my Grand child sexual?? Or the loss of my woman. I don't get it. Of course I am not a Philosophy major or even close. I'm just a dumb ass farmer/ stagehand. You can try to figure this out. I have heard their is a chemical that is in your brain when you are in love. I don't know if their is any truth to that statement. It is just what I have heard.
08-02-2012, 11:39 AM
(08-02-2012 10:28 AM)Zat Wrote:  

Zat, thank you for putting it so succinctly! This is exactly how I feel about love. I don't have a sig yet, but I think I will use that if I can attribute it to you.
08-02-2012, 11:53 AM
(08-02-2012 11:32 AM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  How is the death of my Grand child sexual??

I never said it was now, did I?
When I made the comment I was speaking in general terms and was not referring to you. If you were offended then you have my apologies, it was not meant that way.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
08-02-2012, 12:07 PM
(08-02-2012 10:48 AM)Dragon-Wolf Wrote:  The problem I see when discussing "love" is that it has become a over-used, mis-used blanket term to describe a set of feelings one has for another being.

Sadly "love" often has had sexual connotations attached to it so that any mention of "love" is automatically equated with some sort of sexual attraction.
Even the term "intimate" has largely become a sexual word or had sexual connotations when all it means is "close". So if someone said their friendship was "intimate" then many people will take that to assume it has sexual tones to it.

Anyways...I have never felt "love" on any level other than platonic such as love for a parent, a neighbors child or a pet so my experiences are rather limited.

I agree that it can have those connotations- but it should not. I think incorporating sex as a part of love is a immature view of love.

Sex can be an expression of love, or lust, but it is not itself "love".