Love What You Do

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Love What You Do
TTA has been right beside the core of my very deconversion from born again Christianity. I'm a fairly new atheist, but I love to think, ponder, dissect and well, argue points. Who doesn't like a good debate? I grew up in church. At age 12 I was baptized, and "saved" more times than I choose to remember. That was 21 years ago. 21 loooooong years. Over the past 5 years, I took up an interest in learning about apocalyptic scripture and prophecy. It was a gradual process of learning, digging, thinking, and just plain old logic.

Most of my family is christian, and thinks I'm going to hell. I am married to a believer, although she is more of a cultural catholic. She's South American, so Catholicism is very ingrained into that culture, although I never once have seen her pray or go to church. I sat down with her and had a deep conversation about what she actually believes. I could call it more deist than anything.

Professionally, I was a nurse for 14 years, and decided that was no longer for me. I decided to dive into the world of I.T. and pursue a career change. I've been pretty successful with that, becoming my family's PC guru. So although I am a damned heathen, I'm good enough to fix their PCs when they break down. Computers and technology are my life. I love science and anything technical. My medical background plays into this as well, as medicine is of course, highly technical and scientific.

At work, I have a lot of alone time when I'm working on administration, or fixing PC and server related issues, so I always have my headset on. Until about 2 weeks ago, I almost always listened to Howard Stern all day. I'm a big fan of talk radio format, and a huge Howard Stern fan since I was very young. But then I discovered Seth and TTA. I've been listening to Seth EXCLUSIVELY. Seth, you replaced HOWARD FRICKIN' STERN, the king of all media. Although I still love Howard, and he's entertaining, right now I need those words of encouragement and a little bit of nudging from someone who's walked in these shoes before. I know I'll run out of podcasts, as I can devour 2 to 6 a day if it's slow at work, and you've only got 90 or so. But for now, you're what I'm listening to, all day, every day. The King can wait, he's not going anywhere for a while.

So since then, I've discovered Evid3nc3, who was a major catalyst for the paradigm shift in my world view, as well as DarkMatter2525, NonStampCollector, and I recently started watching/listening to some of AronRa's material. I've got Dawkins and Hitchens audio books, so I can listen at work once the podcasts run out. I must thank TTA as well as these guys that I have discovered, as this has all helped me break the oppressive chains of damaging religious dogma.

I must say, the podcast on Religious About Atheism hit home with me. I've been a bit of a zealot for atheism, but I think that's because I just have an intense thirst for knowledge right now, and I've got to fill it. I've been trying to balance it out a little bit on Facebook and such, because I can see it getting a little unbalanced, and that's the last thing I want. I don't want to be swept away by the honeymoon phase of my new enlightenment, but I do want to get a respectable knowledgebase together in my head.

I guess that's all for now.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like KMFDM_Kid2000's post
13-02-2013, 04:11 PM
RE: Love What You Do
Welcome to TTA.

As an FYI, though, Seth (The Thinking Atheist) doesn't participate or really read the forums.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
14-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Hi Kid - good to know you've found the podcasts entertaining. I like radio too - radio and internet are really a great way to take it all in, keep up, and stay in control of your own ideas.

Kingsy's correct, Seth doesn't really hang here but I'm sure you'll find a lot of the same kind of discussion he presents on his podcasts. This is an international forum so there is a great diversity of perspective. It's pretty relaxed and there's bound to be something you'll find interesting.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
14-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Howdy!

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
14-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Dont let these people fool you. Its a nuthouse here! Hope youre tough.

Welcome.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
24-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Seth doesn't visit eh? Wouldn't be the first time I'd be talking to myself then. After all, I did say I used to be a Born-Again Christian.

[+] 2 users Like KMFDM_Kid2000's post
26-02-2013, 06:51 PM
(24-02-2013 12:25 PM)KMFDM_Kid2000 Wrote:  Wouldn't be the first time I'd be talking to myself then. After all, I did say I used to be a Born-Again Christian.
OOooOOOOoooo! Buuuuuuuurn!

LOL, welcome to the forums.