Poll: True or false: All is fair in love and war
Troof. And I fight dirty, too.
Nope. There are limitations to both.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Love and War

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2015, 12:02 AM
RE: Love and War
What good is honor and chivalry when you're dead? At the end of the day all that matters on the battlefield is that you're alive and your opponent isn't.

The rules and laws of war are just there to minimize civilian casualties. Even then, we should ignore them to get the upper hand when we need to.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2015, 12:57 AM
(14-05-2015 12:02 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  What good is honor and chivalry when you're dead? At the end of the day all that matters on the battlefield is that you're alive and your opponent isn't.

The rules and laws of war are just there to minimize civilian casualties. Even then, we should ignore them to get the upper hand when we need to.

In history, those who ignore the "laws" of war tend to engender civilian pushback against their occupation. Oftentimes following the dictates of decent treatment actually makes the mission of the occupying army easier. And just as often, disregarding the standards of decent treatment redounds to the deficit of the occupying army, and leads to its defeat (cf. Vietnam, Iraq, the USSR invasion of Afghanistan, the Japanese experience in China, and so on).
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
14-05-2015, 01:21 AM

Ugh, I voted same as Giggly Sad Now I feel dirty.

My feeling is that there is being an asshole or not, and for myself personally I can try to adhere to whatever moral code. But... if someone hurts you or not in a relationship... it's just how things are, it's not really... a question of fairness. I'm actually a bit bummed I voted now, I should have thought about it a bit more. Oh well...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
14-05-2015, 04:00 AM
(14-05-2015 12:02 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  What good is honor and chivalry when you're dead? At the end of the day all that matters on the battlefield is that you're alive and your opponent isn't.

It's not about honor or chivalry but more about conduct off the battlefield I think. In a battlefield almost everything is fair, as you're fighting with someone who won't hestitate to do same to you. Though even then are some rules - even during WW II chemical weapons was not used, mainly I suppose because fear of retaliation but still.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
14-05-2015, 06:37 AM
In war - anything goes -- unless you happen to lose -- then, just about anything you did can be construed as "unfair".

Love is less easily defined.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
14-05-2015, 06:46 AM
Pass.

I haven't tried either yet.

I'll add them to the list of things to do when I grow up.

Big Grin

14-05-2015, 07:01 AM
In war, I couldn't care less about consent or making the other side feel good.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
14-05-2015, 07:09 AM
All is fair.

As I say to tards that complain that I spam in MKX: I play to win.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
14-05-2015, 07:10 AM
(14-05-2015 07:01 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  In war, I couldn't care less about consent or making the other side feel good.

Implying that all's fair in war and rape.

Consider

14-05-2015, 08:33 AM
Nothing about love or war is fair. Sometimes they're one and the same. I'll abide by a set of arbitrary rules to a certain point, but when the other side stops playing fair, the gloves come off.

You get one life - being a martyr doesn't get you laid.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post