Poll: True or false: All is fair in love and war
Troof. And I fight dirty, too.
Nope. There are limitations to both.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Love and War

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2015, 08:37 AM
RE: Love and War
(14-05-2015 08:33 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Nothing about love or war is fair. Sometimes they're one and the same. I'll abide by a set of arbitrary rules to a certain point, but when the other side stops playing fair, the gloves come off.

You get one life - being a martyr doesn't get you laid.

but it could get you blown ............

up..

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
14-05-2015, 09:21 AM
(14-05-2015 07:10 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-05-2015 07:01 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  In war, I couldn't care less about consent or making the other side feel good.

Implying that all's fair in war and rape.

Consider

Well, god does seem to be OK with it.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
14-05-2015, 09:50 AM
"No dumb bastard ever won a war by going out and dying for his country. He won it by making some other dumb bastard die for his country." -- George S. Patton
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
14-05-2015, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2015 10:05 AM by yakherder.)
My general rule on life is that nothing is fair, nor should it be, nor should I expect it to be. Everything we are is defined by the problems we've faced. In a perfect world, we'd all still be a bunch of single celled organisms. Content, well fed, nothing to compete against, no reason to adapt.

'Murican Canadian
14-05-2015, 10:02 AM
As for love, fairness and compromise should be the guiding principles.
14-05-2015, 10:26 AM
(14-05-2015 10:02 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  As for love, fairness and compromise should be the guiding principles.

Sure, once you're *in* the relationship, but that implies that you've already "won". Not when competing for another's affections. (Ugh. I hate to term it like that, but at a baser level, that's what it is...)

A la The Bachelor and The Bachelorette Tongue

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
14-05-2015, 10:38 AM
(13-05-2015 07:48 PM)Nurse Wrote:  All is fair in love and war.

Thoughts?

Fair is a buzzword. It means different things to different people in different circumstances.
14-05-2015, 11:58 AM
(14-05-2015 10:26 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(14-05-2015 10:02 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  As for love, fairness and compromise should be the guiding principles.

Sure, once you're *in* the relationship, but that implies that you've already "won". Not when competing for another's affections. (Ugh. I hate to term it like that, but at a baser level, that's what it is...)

A la The Bachelor and The Bachelorette Tongue

Why can't real life be like this *sigh* lol ....Instead, this has been me lately Sad

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
14-05-2015, 12:05 PM
(14-05-2015 10:26 AM)Nurse Wrote:  

I guess I just don't see love, or the search for it, as a zero-sum game. But before the relationship, I'm not in love. I don't like competing for affection. I am simply myself, and if that isn't attractive to the woman, it's all good. While we're flirting or courting or whatever you'd like to call it, I still try to practice fairness and compromise, simply because it's how I'd like to be treated too.

I've found that as I've gotten older, opening myself up and becoming more vulnerable doesn't feel as naked as it did when I was a young man. I suppose it's because then I craved the approval of the object of my affection, whereas now I'm comfortable in my own skin and don't seek anyone's approval outside my immediate circle of family and close friends. Or maybe it's because my callouses are thicker, so to speak.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post