Love cant be proven Scientifically: The argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2013, 07:45 AM
RE: Love cant be proven Scientifically: The argument
(09-01-2013 10:06 AM)Denicio Wrote:  So, in semi-debating spiritual things with a loved one they replied to my need for scientific testable proof with a semi smug "Science cant prove that i love you".
Sometimes when an argument is that '3rd grade' it takes me off my game, so to speak. Kinda like debating with Ray Comfort...when the argument is so silly that it boggles the mind.
I was left somewhat speechless when i heard this... that i failed to have any real comeback.
Curious, What would you Atheists have said in this situation?
D

Love can, and has been tested.
Person A loves person B if person A is willing to make great sacrifices
to make person B happy. In real life there are occurences where such
a sacrifice is called for, and thus the love of person A will be tested.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2013, 08:16 AM
Actually, love and hate CAN be proven scientifically...at least, the brainwaves, electro-chemical reaction, etc would be able to do that. If they were to be put on the various brain-scanning machinery they have these days, it can be shown the brain reacts a certain way with certain stimuli...such as an image of the person or thing they love or hate. So, an image of guacamole might create a specific response if a person hates avocados...and might respond differently towards their lover, close friend, or family member.
[+] 1 user Likes insanityinanity's post
29-12-2013, 09:12 AM
To quote a great comedian "Love without evidence is stalking!"- Tim Minchin

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
29-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Science doesn't prove anything. Except possibly mathematics.

Science asks a question and looks at the evidence.

Do I love my wife? The evidence is that we are... affectionate (leave it at that, no point in getting smutty), we got married, despite some interesting fights we remain together, I put up with stuff from her that I would tolerate from no other living person. The evidence suggests that, yes, I do love her.

Evidence for God: >zip<
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
29-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Can you love something and in turn do nothing to show that you love it.
In fact can you watch the thing or person you love be hurt and not do something to stop it.
If you can remain passive while something or someone you love is being harmed, then the word love to you is meaningless.
It has zero value if you do not show love.
It has zero value if you do nothing to stop someone or something from being harmed.

Love is measurable by what we do, not by what we don't.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
29-12-2013, 08:04 PM
I used to have a study bookedmarked on this, but unfortunately I deleted it to make room for other things. But from what I remember from it, it's a chemical response? Not too certain.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
29-12-2013, 09:41 PM
(09-01-2013 10:06 AM)Denicio Wrote:  Curious, What would you Atheists have said in this situation?

The neural basis of romantic love.

Reward, motivation and emotion systems associated with early-stage intense romantic love.

The neural basis of love as a subliminal prime: an event-related functional magnetic resonance imaging study.

Genetic variation in the vasopressin receptor 1a gene (AVPR1A) associates with pair-bonding behavior in humans

Neural correlates of long-term intense romantic love

People that are experiencing short- and long-term "love" exhibit distinct patterns of neural activation. Something is also known of the genetic basis of "love". Subjective experience can be--and is--studied objectively.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-12-2013, 03:52 AM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2013 07:12 AM by BlackMason.)
(09-01-2013 11:01 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I'm pretty sure that scientifically they could test it out by suiting up your brain into some scans; for which scientists could view you brain and show you pictures of random people, then show you pictures or things of a person you love and notice the particular expected regions of the brain lighting up that demonstrate the feelings associated to love.

Yes, but how would they distinguish platonic responses and genuine love?

**Edit** This is an official statement retraction.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
30-12-2013, 05:21 AM
(29-12-2013 05:04 AM)hewfew Wrote:  As Richard Dawkins put it.."People sometimes say that you must believe in feelings deep inside, otherwise you’d never be confident of things like ‘My wife loves me’.
But this is a bad argument. There can be plenty of evidence that somebody loves you. All through the day when you are with somebody who loves you, you see and hear lots of little tidbits of evidence, and they all add up. It isn’t purely inside feeling, like the feeling that priests call revelation. There are outside things to back up the inside feeling: looks in the eye, tender notes in the voice, little favors and kindnesses; this is all real evidence.

Sometimes people have a strong inside feeling that somebody loves them when it is not based upon any evidence, and then they are likely to be completely wrong. There are people with a strong inside feeling that a famous film star loves them, when really the film star hasn’t even met them. People like that are ill in their minds. Inside feelings must be backed up by evidence, otherwise you just can’t trust them"

Well shit, tough but true.
30-12-2013, 05:48 AM
(30-12-2013 03:52 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  Yes, but how would they distinguish platonic responses and genuine love?

Different patterns of neural activation. "Genuine love", i.e. "romantic love" has a sexual component--because it is related to pair bonding--and that involves distinct brain regions.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user