Love cant be proven Scientifically: The argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2013, 06:38 AM
RE: Love cant be proven Scientifically: The argument
(29-12-2013 05:04 AM)hewfew Wrote:  There can be plenty of evidence that somebody loves you. All through the day when you are with somebody who loves you, you see and hear lots of little tidbits of evidence, and they all add up. It isn’t purely inside feeling, like the feeling that priests call revelation. There are outside things to back up the inside feeling: looks in the eye, tender notes in the voice, little favors and kindnesses; this is all real evidence.

Though the religious would say: There can be plenty of evidence that god is real. Every time we are in church we hear testimony of the changes God is working in the lives of the congregation. At home bible studies we hear the conversion stories. Sometimes conversion solves physical problems such as addiction or stuttering. There are outside things to back up the inside feeling. This is all real evidence.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2013, 07:16 AM
(30-12-2013 05:48 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 03:52 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  Yes, but how would they distinguish platonic responses and genuine love?

Different patterns of neural activation. "Genuine love", i.e. "romantic love" has a sexual component--because it is related to pair bonding--and that involves distinct brain regions.

Yep. I read the articles you posted.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
30-12-2013, 08:32 AM
(30-12-2013 06:38 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(29-12-2013 05:04 AM)hewfew Wrote:  There can be plenty of evidence that somebody loves you. All through the day when you are with somebody who loves you, you see and hear lots of little tidbits of evidence, and they all add up. It isn’t purely inside feeling, like the feeling that priests call revelation. There are outside things to back up the inside feeling: looks in the eye, tender notes in the voice, little favors and kindnesses; this is all real evidence.

Though the religious would say: There can be plenty of evidence that god is real. Every time we are in church we hear testimony of the changes God is working in the lives of the congregation. At home bible studies we hear the conversion stories. Sometimes conversion solves physical problems such as addiction or stuttering. There are outside things to back up the inside feeling. This is all real evidence.

I'm not sure that "Stories" truly qualify as Evidence. People spout of their "experiences" all the time yet have nothing concrete to prove what happened. That's happened since the dawn of time.

If "stories" qualified as evidence then it's a bible slam dunk and we'd have no forum to discuss otherwise.

yet = here we are Thumbsup

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
30-12-2013, 10:15 AM
So there is line between anecdotal evidence we trust (evidence of love) and anecdotal evidence we don't trust (personal testimony of miracles). The line isn't so easy to draw... especially when we are talking to someone who doesn't have a strong sceptical foundation, is already indoctrinated, and/or is deeply connected to a church community that has some kind of collective belief in these anecdotes.

My point is that the argument can't be made quite as simply as Dawkins makes it. The argument is at its core that simple but to put it to a particular individual requires them to come to accept a consistent and rational approach to the acceptance and rejection of evidence.

I don't know about you but I make sure I put my spouse's love through the proper clinical trials. Then there can be no doubt:
[Image: experimentation.png]
http://xkcd.com/507/

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post