Love cant be proven Scientifically: The argument

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Love cant be proven Scientifically: The argument
So, in semi-debating spiritual things with a loved one they replied to my need for scientific testable proof with a semi smug "Science cant prove that i love you".
Sometimes when an argument is that '3rd grade' it takes me off my game, so to speak. Kinda like debating with Ray Comfort...when the argument is so silly that it boggles the mind.
I was left somewhat speechless when i heard this... that i failed to have any real comeback.
Curious, What would you Atheists have said in this situation?
D
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
09-01-2013, 10:13 AM
RE: Love cant be proven Scientifically: The argument
"It also can't prove that I hate avocados."

It is not science's domain to test what is only subjectively true; science is simply a tool to test what is empirically true.

"To hate man and worship God seems to be the sum of all creeds." — Robert Ingersoll
[+] 6 users Like Human Being's post
09-01-2013, 10:15 AM
"Divorce papers can prove I loved you." Of course, I'd have to be married to say that. And saying it to the person I was married to. Which is probably something I never want to mention while being married. But in this case...

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
09-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Science means "to know." I think anyone married for over 50 years like my grandparents can scientifically prove their full knowledge of their half a century marriage.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
09-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Is love really about proof, or is it about trust? If you say 'I love you', the other person trusts that you are telling the truth. Knowing that someone loves you is also based on your experiences with them, your history together. Have they done something in the past that leads you to not believe them when they tell you that they love you?

I guess you can call trust in what they are saying proof, but I don't know...

Also, isn't that a Non Sequitor? That question is probably irrelevant to the subject you were discussing. They didn't know how to answer you, and tried to change the subject and turn the screws on you. That assertion is irrelevant unless that is what is being debated.

Lastly, the burden of proof would be on the one making the claim. It's also probably an argument from ignorance. Just because you don't know how science can prove that you love someone, doesn't mean that you can't prove it.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2013, 10:22 AM
(09-01-2013 10:13 AM)Human Being Wrote:  "It also can't prove that I hate avocados."

It is not science's domain to test what is only subjectively true; science is simply a tool to test what is empirically true.
I dont think science can find love as it doesnt actually physically exist.

There are things that can be attributed to love (Physically, psychologically) which can potentially be measured.

From these results I think science can give a prediction of the possibility of love in a person.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
09-01-2013, 10:41 AM
This is all really great stuff folks. Thanks for the input and keep it coming!
09-01-2013, 10:43 AM
(09-01-2013 10:15 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  "Divorce papers can prove I loved you." Of course, I'd have to be married to say that. And saying it to the person I was married to. Which is probably something I never want to mention while being married. But in this case...

Bro, love your Avatar image! I STILL to this very day have my ORIGINAL vinyl of the "Great White North"! (im 43 and LOVED me some SCTV.....yeah, even in Memphis TN I got the SCTV brand of humor!)
And when disney came out with Brother Bear and Bob and Doug were the Moose characters, i bought happy meals so i could have those bobble heads!
Take off, eh!
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
09-01-2013, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2013 10:56 AM by Vera.)
(09-01-2013 10:20 AM)Near Wrote:  Is love really about proof?
Sure it is. Should be testable and unfalsifiable, and published in at least three separate scientific journals. Oh, and a certification by a notary public doesn't hurt either. And that's just for starters.

Or maybe all I need is lots of this proof Consider

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
09-01-2013, 11:01 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2013 11:16 AM by ClydeLee.)
I'm pretty sure that scientifically they could test it out by suiting up your brain into some scans; for which scientists could view you brain and show you pictures of random people, then show you pictures or things of a person you love and notice the particular expected regions of the brain lighting up that demonstrate the feelings associated to love.

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
[+] 3 users Like ClydeLee's post