Loving and accepting myself...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2015, 08:52 PM
Loving and accepting myself...
How can I learn how to love and accept myself more for who I am? And how can i learn how to be true to myself?

And it feels like I've broken the spell and came out of the matrix-religion... I'm a recovering catholic...37 years old male...

Thanks........
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2015, 09:00 PM
RE: Loving and accepting myself...
One day at a time, man. Welcome to reality, where you get to decide who you are, without any god or dogma. It's a beautiful thing, enjoy it.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
21-04-2015, 09:03 PM
(21-04-2015 08:52 PM)jason197754 Wrote:  How can I learn how to love and accept myself more for who I am? And how can i learn how to be true to myself?

It's not something I learned, it's just something I do. I mean, what else I'm gonna do? My options are limited.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-04-2015, 09:06 PM
(21-04-2015 09:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It's not something I learned, it's just something I do. I mean, what else I'm gonna do? My options are limited.

Exactamundo. Yes

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
21-04-2015, 09:21 PM
It's a gradual process for sure. Remember that each moment is an opportunity for consciousness raising. Nobody has it all figured out, but that's part of life's splendor. Ask questions, investigate the answers. Utilize communities (such as this one) when you're in need of support and encouragement.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-04-2015, 08:27 AM
You are a product of your genes and your experiences. You had no control over what genes you inherited, so if you have OCD, or are manic, or have ADHD or whatever else, you had no choice in it; so there is no use beating yourself up for it. However, now that you are free from religion, fill in the gap by defining your own purpose. If there is something that you feel strongly about, pursue it as way to give your life meaning. I am a former catholic and my meaning comes from my family, and my career as an educator and a researcher.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
22-04-2015, 09:01 AM
everyday you just do what you need to do....shit, shower and shave. do unto others, try to eat healthy, exercise, find something to smile about.

that pretty much covers most everything

life is as simple or as complicated as you make it. No higher power pulling the strings- you get whatever you put into it. Some people love the thrill that comes with having everything open to them, others find the responsibility of being in control scary. no worries, just like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, you had the power all along and have been doing it for 37 years now. baby steps down the yellow brick road.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
22-04-2015, 10:30 AM
btw... I came from a dysfuctional and codependent upbringing/family...so I used church and religion as a coping mechanism and means of comfort. But I now see that its unhealthy and toxic and even damaging....my self-worth and self-esteem...
22-04-2015, 10:36 AM
Find something you enjoy doing and run with it. Time will heal the wounds. Hug

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
22-04-2015, 10:41 AM
(22-04-2015 10:30 AM)jason197754 Wrote:  btw... I came from a dysfuctional and codependent upbringing/family...so I used church and religion as a coping mechanism and means of comfort. But I now see that its unhealthy and toxic and even damaging....my self-worth and self-esteem...

Might want to see a good therapist about that, no shame in that, most everyone I know could benefit from a few sessions whether its to help get the bad from our past dealt with so it doesnt become a problem in our future or to help us figure out which way we want to go in moving ahead.

and for some of us, the brain chemistry gets fucked up causing things like depression, OCD, anxiety. They got meds for that, and they help when you find the right one.

science based medicine is a good thing, it comes with evidence and proof that it works. And if you had other medical problems like high blood pressure or diabetes- you would seek treatment for that as well.

keep posting here. you have much in common with many of other members. Some are still struggling, some arent and can provide some good advice on how to get thru it.

hugs!

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post