Poll: Are you happy reading pale grey or low-contrast fonts on web sites?
This poll is closed.
Yes 0% 0 0%
No 30.00% 3 30.00%
Depends on format of specific site 20.00% 2 20.00%
Don't care one way or the other 20.00% 2 20.00%
Doggy style 30.00% 3 30.00%
Total 10 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Low-Contrast Fonts... Why?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2017, 04:45 AM
Low-Contrast Fonts... Why?
I came upon this site earlier today, and it addresses most of the questions I've been curious/irritated about for a couple of years now.

CONTRAST REBELLION.
Low-contrast font color and unreadable texts? To hell with them!

And these pointed snippets from a forum discussion...

Can somebody please explain why so many sites are making their text harder to read?

A lot of sites are using grey-on-grey or grey-on-white text—including this one!

Is there some backroom deal with eyedrop vendors LOL? Why are designers doing this?

Google shows plenty of others complaining about this and writing Greasemonkey scripts, but I must've missed the memo justifying this (appalling) practice.

If you have a site with grey text, please explain why it's (allegedly) better than black text.

You call it "fine", I call it "unreadable". Both are our opinions. "To-may-to, to-mah-to"?

However, the "unreadable" view is backed up by 400 years of print experience, 60 years of CRT experience, 30years of LCD experience, the opinions of people who make their living out of usability, the opinion of ophthalmologists, and by W3C and Federal guidelines.

So far, the "grey is OK" view is only backed up by the opinions of some designers and one claim about an alleged, hyper-minuscule group of impaired users.

Google reveals many users complaining about grey text, they call it "unreadable" too. So far, Google has revealed no one who wants greyed text, except for self-styled "designers".

There are several Greasemonkey scripts to reverse the grey plague, but I've yet to see one that makes black text grey!

——Any comments guys and gals? Agree? Disagree? Don't care one way or the other?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2017, 07:41 AM
RE: Low-Contrast Fonts... Why?
In SCADA we prefer lower contrast to limit operator fatigue over hours of screen watching. Only things that are especially important and urgent are allowed to be high contrast.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
15-01-2017, 07:43 AM
I always vote doggy style.....

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
15-01-2017, 11:58 AM
(15-01-2017 07:41 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  In SCADA we prefer lower contrast to limit operator fatigue over hours of screen watching. Only things that are especially important and urgent are allowed to be high contrast.

Interesting. I find the low contrast far more tiring on my (older) eyes, particularly with a lot of the smaller fonts many sites now favour. I used to spend all day working on AutoCAD, and I never had any issues with high contrast stuff.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
15-01-2017, 12:09 PM
I use them in software when I want to disable a user control. It's a standard indicator at this point and far less distracting than a red X or something. I also use them in research papers when I include source code to deemphasize it. The code is more like an aside for interested readers and I don't want it to distract from the main point.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-01-2017, 12:15 PM
I vote snipples.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
15-01-2017, 01:55 PM
It doesn't bother me all that much.
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
15-01-2017, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2017 02:18 PM by cactus.)
I like the challenge.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 3 users Like cactus's post
15-01-2017, 02:18 PM
Honestly, the high-contrast (white fonts on black background) is what cooks my eyeballs.
15-01-2017, 07:38 PM
they just want to be stylish and hip when it comes to the colour scheme. Whether or not the reader can ... well, read it... is not a concern really Big Grin
Shiny white page with grey letters and a grey and black pattern = look at my graphic skills Wink

Personally, as I have to make readable thumbnails for my youtube videos, I started to learn and understand the value of font size and contrast Big Grin
Let's hope that the rest of those hip and trendy and stylish websites follow the example of paper books > black writing on white background. Works fucking wonders. Such a great concept Tongue

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post