Lucas the Anti-Theist + Pantheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2016, 11:51 AM
Lucas the Anti-Theist + Pantheism
Hello,

My name is Lucas. I'm a 32 year old anti-theist who for the past couple years has gone through life defining myself to others as a "pantheist".

I'm fine with the definition because pantheism I believe it is a very poetic way to view the universe while maintaining a solid & functional atheism. Typically, people don't know what it means and it sounds spiritual so they go with it.

The universe is connected profound and deep ways. Everything is one. Nature is the totality of everything : Pantheism
It works.

THEN I met a beautiful girl who claimed to be "spiritual but not religious" and
I foolishly assumed this meant deism or openness to the concept of "god(s)" while excluding any fundamental religion preaching.

My friends, I was incorrect.

This woman is by far one of the warmest, kindest, and fun to be with woman I've ever been with. She's beautiful on the inside and out. I love her but our perceived "spiritual differences" have become an issue in our bonding.

Though she herself is very well educated, her religious knowledge and education is very poor. She only has a working knowledge of some very basic concepts and just cherry picks what she likes out.

Essentially I got stuck with an "If you die and you don't believe in god you go to hell" kind of spiritual but no religious person. One that believes in Angels and Miracles.

She's sweet when she believes in Angels but when she frets about my going to hell or about our inability to bond "spiritually" it makes me angry and sad in equal parts.

I've been trying to de-convert her slowly over time and I've realized that my "pantheism" has allowed me to approach her more gently. She's more open to the perceived concept of spirituality through pantheism than she would ever be to the A word (ATHEIST)

Pantheism could be an excellent stepping stone in the de-conversion process. Since the word atheism is tarnished so badly and pantheism offers a semblance of spirituality, I've had good luck so far.

ANYWAYS. I'm Lucas. Nice to meet you all.

My recent work with my hopeful future wife has re-awakened in me the fire of anti-theism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Lucash21158's post
11-05-2016, 11:56 AM
RE: Lucas the Anti-Theist + Pantheism
Hey Luke, welcome aboard. Spiritual, but not religious is the song of the New Agers. Does she believe in Chakras and auras? Maybe looks at things thru her third eye? Life in Heaven before birth as well as afterwards? Been there done that! But it helped me get over alcohol addiction.
11-05-2016, 12:18 PM
(11-05-2016 11:56 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  Hey Luke, welcome aboard. Spiritual, but not religious is the song of the New Agers. Does she believe in Chakras and auras? Maybe looks at things thru her third eye? Life in Heaven before birth as well as afterwards? Been there done that! But it helped me get over alcohol addiction.

The thing I'm the most surprised about is how undefined her beliefs appear to be. It's just kind of a whatever works approach.

The one thing she seems to really be digging her heels in about is the "If you don't believe in god you go to hell" part.

If I can just get her to let go of that one thing we'll be good to go as far as I'm concerned. If I can't . . .
11-05-2016, 12:45 PM
Welcome

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

11-05-2016, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2016 03:02 PM by GirlyMan.)
Hi Lucas. I have pointed out before that I think from a pragmatist's point of view there is little difference between atheism and pantheism. Can't see how I would act different regardless. Everything is God. Nothing is God. Same damn thing for all intent and purpose.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-05-2016, 01:45 PM
(11-05-2016 12:18 PM)Lucash21158 Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 11:56 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  Hey Luke, welcome aboard. Spiritual, but not religious is the song of the New Agers. Does she believe in Chakras and auras? Maybe looks at things thru her third eye? Life in Heaven before birth as well as afterwards? Been there done that! But it helped me get over alcohol addiction.

The thing I'm the most surprised about is how undefined her beliefs appear to be. It's just kind of a whatever works approach.

The one thing she seems to really be digging her heels in about is the "If you don't believe in god you go to hell" part.

If I can just get her to let go of that one thing we'll be good to go as far as I'm concerned. If I can't . . .

All you have to say to her is, this world is hell and when we die we're going to heaven. hahahahaha
11-05-2016, 01:51 PM
Hi Luke. Sounds like you have a complicated relationship but no doubt you're having fun or you wouldn't stick with it. Nice to have you here.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
11-05-2016, 01:53 PM
Welcome.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
11-05-2016, 02:06 PM
(11-05-2016 01:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Hi Lucas. I have pointed out before that I think from a pragmatist's point of view there is little difference between atheism and pantheism. Can't see how I would act different regardless. Everything is God. There is no God. Same damn thing for all intent and purpose.

Pantheism is more palatable for theist to consume. The connotations in a theist mind concerning the "A word" create instant psychological walls that can be difficult to overcome.

Pantheism is my Trojan Horse.
11-05-2016, 03:18 PM
(11-05-2016 02:06 PM)Lucash21158 Wrote:  Pantheism is my Trojan Horse.

Dafuq that even mean? You let something crawl up your ass you didn't expect and all mayhem ensued?

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post