Luke 19: Parable of the Talents

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Luke 19: Parable of the Talents
“He replied, ‘I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what they have will be taken away. But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them—bring them here and kill them in front of me.’”

-Luke 19:26-27

Just came across this verse today...this is part of the parable of the "ten talents", where a nobleman went to become an...ointed King and entrusted money to his servants. Each of the servants give back their money with added value, but when one servant kept his pound wrapped up in a cloth and does nothing with it, the "King" (a parable for Jesus going afar to be anointed, it seems?) replied as above.

According to christnotes.org, the meaning of the parable is that Jesus gives people "spiritual intelligence" through his teachings. The implications of the interpretations of this parable are terrible. Basically, Jesus will return and those who are rebellious against him (receive his teachings but do nothing with them) will be punished, "slain before me". How can someone defend such vitriol?

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?sea...ersion=NIV
http://www.christnotes.org/commentary.ph...&b=42&c=19
http://www.nobeliefs.com/parable.htm
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2012, 10:48 PM
RE: Luke 19: Parable of the Talents
(14-01-2012 09:39 PM)Bokononist87 Wrote:  How can someone defend such vitriol?

Blind faith.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
14-01-2012, 11:01 PM
(14-01-2012 10:48 PM)kim Wrote:  

Blind faith.

Unfortunately it is that simple. It's just mind-boggling that the more I dig into the Bible the worse it gets! And also to hear Christian responses that unashamedly agree with what it's saying without any remorse.
[+] 3 users Like Bokononist87's post
14-01-2012, 11:19 PM
(14-01-2012 11:01 PM)Bokononist87 Wrote:  

Blind faith.

Unfortunately it is that simple. It's just mind-boggling that the more I dig into the Bible the worse it gets! And also to hear Christian responses that unashamedly agree with what it's saying without any remorse.

Well, yea.
Wadda wanna bet they're forgiven? Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
14-01-2012, 11:41 PM
(14-01-2012 11:19 PM)kim Wrote:  
(14-01-2012 11:01 PM)Bokononist87 Wrote:  

Blind faith.

Well, yea.
Wadda wanna bet they're forgiven? Wink

Ten talents?? Big Grin
15-01-2012, 08:06 AM
(14-01-2012 09:39 PM)Bokononist87 Wrote:  According to christnotes.org, the meaning of the parable is that Jesus gives people "spiritual intelligence" through his teachings. The implications of the interpretations of this parable are terrible. Basically, Jesus will return and those who are rebellious against him (receive his teachings but do nothing with them) will be punished, "slain before me". How can someone defend such vitriol?

I like the moral of this story: don't waste what you're given. However, the tale that tells the moral is kinda stupid... the guy didn't go out and spend it, but simply "didn't make profit". And investment implies risk, which means that the guys who made more money could've potentially lost it. And then there's the vitriol - it's not enough to say "you get nothing" for the lack of investment, but instead punishes him and gives his money to someone else, which is akin to theft. I can't defend the vitriol either, because it's an overreaction.

There are theists who don't take the bible literally, and of course this story is a good example of something not to take literally (it's a parable). But the evidence still isn't there for a "perfect God" who - even in metaphor - is an awful writer. With an infinite number of possible stories to tell in order to make His point, this is the best He could come up with?

And one last point - why would anyone need to invest in their "spiritual life"? The definition of Heaven we have is not one where anything gained in life is useful. You'll be happy no matter what there. You'll be able to "praise God" all the same no matter how you lived your life. And even in you needed improvement, you'd have infinite time to do it there. So why bother? Ultimately, whether you buried a talent or turned 10 talents into a zillion talents, you're still traveling to a place where everything's free and your talents won't buy jack shit.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-01-2012, 11:19 AM
(15-01-2012 08:06 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  I like the moral of this story: don't waste what you're given. However, the tale that tells the moral is kinda stupid... the guy didn't go out and spend it, but simply "didn't make profit". And investment implies risk, which means that the guys who made more money could've potentially lost it. And then there's the vitriol - it's not enough to say "you get nothing" for the lack of investment, but instead punishes him and gives his money to someone else, which is akin to theft. I can't defend the vitriol either, because it's an overreaction.

But he could've at least put in the bank like the guy said and got some interest. Burying it is just plain idiotic.

And it's the nobleman's money, how is it theft if he gives it to someone else?

James 1:27
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world"

"Atheists express their rage against God although in their view He does not exist." C.S. Lewis
15-01-2012, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2012 01:54 PM by kim.)
Hmm. I felt it a parable presented as a call to action, which may indeed include sacrifice... or else. Our main characters; King- we'll call him Walter, and assorted slave/servants -// for the sake of empathy, You will be our pivotal slave/servant.

In King-Walter's world; you are charged with this great responsibility, you either risk everything to spread the wealth of this responsibility, or you hide it away -which does nothing for growth, spreading the wealth and certainly pisses off King-Walter. What's a slave/servant to do? {spoiler alert} Slave/servants do what they are told.
By doing nothing, you've pretty much squandered King-Walter's investment and were negligent with his networking prospects -you do NOT deserve further investment** slave/servant, your money is going to another because You just cost King-Walter a world of pain ---a world of pain.

**medical, food, shelter, stock options, lighter chains, yearly bonus, greater life expectancy, etc.,.

What can we know from this parable, my children? King-Walter constitutes the allusion for Jesus while money alludes to the word-o-god/jc, and the slave/servant represents..well, You. All this is a parable to show the consequences of trying to play it safe (gotta be ready to sacrifice, right?)... no sitting on money/the word cause it's like manure; if you don't spread it around, it's just shit.

Do what you are told, You blind faithful follower, for You are a servant of a King.
Whosoever dumps shit at the feet of a king, is pretty much screwed.

I could be wrong... but that's my interpretation, and I'm sticking to it. Dodgy

15-01-2012, 12:46 PM
(14-01-2012 09:39 PM)Bokononist87 Wrote:  “He replied, ‘I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what they have will be taken away. But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them—bring them here and kill them in front of me.’”

-Luke 19:26-27

Just came across this verse today...this is part of the parable of the "ten talents", where a nobleman went to become an...ointed King and entrusted money to his servants. Each of the servants give back their money with added value, but when one servant kept his pound wrapped up in a cloth and does nothing with it, the "King" (a parable for Jesus going afar to be anointed, it seems?) replied as above.

Maybe it's the original money masters who got this story into the book in order to prepare the sheep for the upcoming concept of capitalism and banking with interest. Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TalladegaTom's post
15-01-2012, 07:56 PM
(15-01-2012 11:19 AM)Sharks9 Wrote:  
(15-01-2012 08:06 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  I like the moral of this story: don't waste what you're given. However, the tale that tells the moral is kinda stupid... the guy didn't go out and spend it, but simply "didn't make profit". And investment implies risk, which means that the guys who made more money could've potentially lost it. And then there's the vitriol - it's not enough to say "you get nothing" for the lack of investment, but instead punishes him and gives his money to someone else, which is akin to theft. I can't defend the vitriol either, because it's an overreaction.

But he could've at least put in the bank like the guy said and got some interest. Burying it is just plain idiotic.

And it's the nobleman's money, how is it theft if he gives it to someone else?

Excuse me, it wasn't theft as it was the nobleman's money, you are right on that. Though I suppose I wouldn't want the "money" (word of god) either if I was the servant in the parable.

My interpretation is similar to Kim's in that Jesus is coming back and if you don't do something with it (have faith and live by God's word) then you won't get your reward like the others. Even worse, the reality is that you are going to be damned to eternal punishment in hell for not investing your "money" while the others get eternal life in paradise. Sounds like a just and all-loving and all-powerful God to me!
[+] 1 user Likes Bokononist87's post