Luminaries of Pan Theism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2016, 10:22 PM
Luminaries of Pan Theism
Saw this while out walking the dog today. Public art on a Venice Beach, CA.

[Image: LuminariesofPantheism.jpg]

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
18-12-2016, 09:22 PM
RE: Luminaries of Pan Theism
Nietzsche was a pantheist? Wuh?
18-12-2016, 10:54 PM
I've driven through Venice/Malibu many a time on really bad traffic days on the 405. Dodgy Long rides home. What street is this on?
19-12-2016, 12:35 PM
(18-12-2016 09:22 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Nietzsche was a pantheist? Wuh?

He never labeled himself as one but he was, let us say an enthusiastic, admirer of the prophet of penentheism.

“I am utterly amazed, utterly enchanted! I have a precursor, and what a precursor! I hardly knew Spinoza: that I should have turned to him just now, was inspired by “instinct.” Not only is his overtendency like mine—namely to make all knowledge the most powerful affect—but in five main points of his doctrine I recognize myself; this most unusual and loneliest thinker is closest to me precisely in these matters: he denies the freedom of the will, teleology, the moral world-order, the unegoistic, and evil. Even though the divergencies are admittedly tremendous, they are due more to the difference in time, culture, and science. In summa: my lonesomeness, which, as on very high mountains, often made it hard for me to breathe and make my blood rush out, is now at least a twosomeness.”

I myself see little practical difference between pantheism (everything is God), panentheism (everything is in God), and atheism (God is no thing). God is just a matter of set membership.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
19-12-2016, 03:48 PM
That is an awesome looking mural, I didn't know Carl Sagan was a pantheist, I thought he was an agnostic humanist but he so rarely talked about it. I've had many people tell me he was an atheist but whatever, he wasn't religious. I've actually had many Christians argue to me that Einstein was a Christian because of that dumb as fuck fake "story" on the internet about him arguing with an atheist professor.

Ok for one he was of Jewish heritage and he was a pantheist, not ever a Christian but so what if he was? So if he was soooo smart than he must've been right about religion? Well ok, he rejected Christianity so I guess in all his academic study and incredible brain power he never found a reason to accept the Christian God or Jesus as his savior so let's all reject religion then? Hey you can believe what you want but if you really think this one person who also believes the same is a good reason to keep believing it yourself you need to re-evaluate your life because that's fucking sad.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
19-12-2016, 06:08 PM
(18-12-2016 10:54 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I've driven through Venice/Malibu many a time on really bad traffic days on the 405. Dodgy Long rides home. What street is this on?

Corner of S Venice Blvd and Ocean Front Walk.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
20-12-2016, 12:29 PM
(19-12-2016 12:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-12-2016 09:22 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Nietzsche was a pantheist? Wuh?

He never labeled himself as one but he was, let us say an enthusiastic, admirer of the prophet of penentheism.

“I am utterly amazed, utterly enchanted! I have a precursor, and what a precursor! I hardly knew Spinoza: that I should have turned to him just now, was inspired by “instinct.” Not only is his overtendency like mine—namely to make all knowledge the most powerful affect—but in five main points of his doctrine I recognize myself; this most unusual and loneliest thinker is closest to me precisely in these matters: he denies the freedom of the will, teleology, the moral world-order, the unegoistic, and evil. Even though the divergencies are admittedly tremendous, they are due more to the difference in time, culture, and science. In summa: my lonesomeness, which, as on very high mountains, often made it hard for me to breathe and make my blood rush out, is now at least a twosomeness.”

I myself see little practical difference between pantheism (everything is God), panentheism (everything is in God), and atheism (God is no thing). God is just a matter of set membership.

The divergencies are tremendous, believe me, let me tell you.
[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post