Lurker finally joins.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2015, 09:40 PM
Lurker finally joins.
I have not spent much time here, but what I've seen I like, so I decided to join up. If you're wondering what my user name means, look up:
Mam pięć ołówków. Not terribly exciting.

I'm a US atheist who was raised as a Lutheran preacher's kid, and have been fairly active as a poster on the International Skeptics Forum (formerly JREF) under the name Olowkow for the past 7 years.

I'm a retired electronics engineer (25 years) from a major university's school of chemical sciences, with a PhD in linguistics, and degrees in French and Spanish. I taught languages in the 60's and have done technical consulting, translation and simultaneous interpreting. I owned a small electronics repair business, and was vice-president of another industrial design and repair operation for about 10 years.
Currently I do a little editing for technical articles by non native speakers of English and hang out with a few republican Archie Bunker types who thank god for Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck and Fox News, just to keep up on how the opposition thinks. I serve as the token liberal and try to humor them out of their AGW denial. It doesn't work.

My interests are the religious and criminal mind, theoretical linguistics, all languages in general, physics, cosmology, electronics, politics, forums and podcasts. Siamese cats. Love them. I also love to play chess, but my Thai wife usually wins. I'm pro gay rights, pro same sex marriage, strongly pro Obama and socially and fiscally a liberal. Former Lucky Strike and Camel smoker.... still alive, barely. Don't start.

I'm looking forward to encountering some interesting conversations or debates on your forum. I am a long time fan of Matt Dillahunty and The Atheist Experience crowd, as well as Aaron Ra and Seth Andrews.

My wife was raised Buddhist, non practicing now, but very zen in her philosophy of life. I was lucky and was never much of a believer, but like many atheists I came slowly to understand that it's ok not to believe in gods, no guilt needed, and now I'm quite proud not to have to associate myself with the madness that religion has currently become.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Olowkow's post
11-01-2015, 09:52 PM
RE: Lurker finally joins.
Welcome to our community.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

11-01-2015, 09:57 PM
Welcome to TTA.

May I suggest "Empires of the Word" if you haven't already read it? That and "Language Universals and Linguistic Typology" by Bernard Comrie are two books I love.
11-01-2015, 09:57 PM
Welcome!! Cat lover here. The Siamese are beautiful Heart

[Image: siamese-more1.jpg]

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 3 users Like Smercury44's post
11-01-2015, 09:58 PM
I'm not sure what job you're applying for, but you're overqualified. Sorry.

NEXT!

I kid. Welcome.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 7 users Like Stark Raving's post
11-01-2015, 10:00 PM
(11-01-2015 09:52 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Welcome to our community.

Hey! Thanks. I'm not used to MyBB, so I'm glad that post and the avatar worked.

Our remedies oft in ourselves do lie, which we ascribe to heaven. --Shakespeare
11-01-2015, 10:01 PM
Oh god. More cows.
Weeping

Bon soir.
Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
11-01-2015, 10:02 PM
(11-01-2015 09:57 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Welcome!! Cat lover here. The Siamese are beautiful Heart

[Image: siamese-more1.jpg]

What a beauty. I'm in love! That looks like one we called Noi. (Thai for little)

11-01-2015, 10:08 PM
(11-01-2015 09:58 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I'm not sure what job you're applying for, but you're overqualified. Sorry.

NEXT!

I kid. Welcome.
Thanks StarkRaving, I'll try to keep a low profile in this job.Rolleyes

[+] 1 user Likes Olowkow's post
11-01-2015, 10:11 PM
Welcome!