Lurker finally joins.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2015, 03:26 AM
RE: Lurker finally joins.
Welcome to the forum! Smile

Good to have more people who know their linguistics in here. Some people will use all sorts of linguistic fallacies in their arguments.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
12-01-2015, 04:11 PM
(11-01-2015 09:40 PM)Olowkow Wrote:  I have not spent much time here, but what I've seen I like, so I decided to join up. If you're wondering what my user name means, look up:
Mam pięć ołówków. Not terribly exciting.

I'm a US atheist who was raised as a Lutheran preacher's kid, and have been fairly active as a poster on the International Skeptics Forum (formerly JREF) under the name Olowkow for the past 7 years.

I'm a retired electronics engineer (25 years) from a major university's school of chemical sciences, with a PhD in linguistics, and degrees in French and Spanish. I taught languages in the 60's and have done technical consulting, translation and simultaneous interpreting. I owned a small electronics repair business, and was vice-president of another industrial design and repair operation for about 10 years.
Currently I do a little editing for technical articles by non native speakers of English and hang out with a few republican Archie Bunker types who thank god for Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck and Fox News, just to keep up on how the opposition thinks. I serve as the token liberal and try to humor them out of their AGW denial. It doesn't work.

My interests are the religious and criminal mind, theoretical linguistics, all languages in general, physics, cosmology, electronics, politics, forums and podcasts. Siamese cats. Love them. I also love to play chess, but my Thai wife usually wins. I'm pro gay rights, pro same sex marriage, strongly pro Obama and socially and fiscally a liberal. Former Lucky Strike and Camel smoker.... still alive, barely. Don't start.

I'm looking forward to encountering some interesting conversations or debates on your forum. I am a long time fan of Matt Dillahunty and The Atheist Experience crowd, as well as Aaron Ra and Seth Andrews.

My wife was raised Buddhist, non practicing now, but very zen in her philosophy of life. I was lucky and was never much of a believer, but like many atheists I came slowly to understand that it's ok not to believe in gods, no guilt needed, and now I'm quite proud not to have to associate myself with the madness that religion has currently become.

I suppose you also come from Lake Woebegone. Where all the women are strong...

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
12-01-2015, 05:04 PM
Céad míle fáilte ( a hundred thousand welcomes ), from the Emerald Isle.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
12-01-2015, 05:13 PM
Which came first, the PhD in Linguistics or the BS in Electrical Engineering when you finally realized, "Fuck. I can't make a living with a PhD in Lingustics." Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
12-01-2015, 07:18 PM
Welcome colleague! Big Grin Hope you enjoy the stay.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
12-01-2015, 07:25 PM
(12-01-2015 05:04 PM)Marozz Wrote:  Céad míle fáilte ( a hundred thousand welcomes ), from the Emerald Isle.

Go raibh maith agat.

Our remedies oft in ourselves do lie, which we ascribe to heaven. --Shakespeare
[+] 1 user Likes Olowkow's post
12-01-2015, 07:31 PM
(12-01-2015 05:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Which came first, the PhD in Linguistics or the BS in Electrical Engineering when you finally realized, "Fuck. I can't make a living with a PhD in Lingustics." Big Grin
You hit the nail on the head.

French and Spanish teaching first. Pursued a PhD in French, ABD, and realized I wasn't that into literature, so I went into linguistics. Realized "Fuck! I can't make a living with a PhD in Linguistics."

So I started a business repairing CBs and stereos. Then, industrial repair and design. Never took any courses in EE. Got lucky with a lot of engineer friends who were good teachers, and lots of on the job training. Finally wound up at the same university as a research engineer in chemical sciences electronics shop. Best job in the world working with lots of smart grad students and profs.

[+] 1 user Likes Olowkow's post
12-01-2015, 07:37 PM
(12-01-2015 07:18 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Welcome colleague! Big Grin Hope you enjoy the stay.

Thanks. Haven't had much chance to get posting in threads yet. Hope you are not too 孤独.
In my life as a grad student, I made many Chinese friends, and picked up a fair number of phrases in Taiwanese Mandarin. There were no Mainland Chinese here at that time. Working with grad students, 15 or so years later, probably 50% were Mainland Chinese.

12-01-2015, 07:46 PM
(12-01-2015 04:11 PM)gofish! Wrote:  I suppose you also come from Lake Woebegone. Where all the women are strong...

Not all women, just my wife, Wonder Woman!

12-01-2015, 07:47 PM
(11-01-2015 09:40 PM)Olowkow Wrote:  I have not spent much time here, but what I've seen I like, so I decided to join up. If you're wondering what my user name means, look up:
Mam pięć ołówków. Not terribly exciting.

I'm a US atheist who was raised as a Lutheran preacher's kid, and have been fairly active as a poster on the International Skeptics Forum (formerly JREF) under the name Olowkow for the past 7 years.

I'm a retired electronics engineer (25 years) from a major university's school of chemical sciences, with a PhD in linguistics, and degrees in French and Spanish. I taught languages in the 60's and have done technical consulting, translation and simultaneous interpreting. I owned a small electronics repair business, and was vice-president of another industrial design and repair operation for about 10 years.
Currently I do a little editing for technical articles by non native speakers of English and hang out with a few republican Archie Bunker types who thank god for Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck and Fox News, just to keep up on how the opposition thinks. I serve as the token liberal and try to humor them out of their AGW denial. It doesn't work.

My interests are the religious and criminal mind, theoretical linguistics, all languages in general, physics, cosmology, electronics, politics, forums and podcasts. Siamese cats. Love them. I also love to play chess, but my Thai wife usually wins. I'm pro gay rights, pro same sex marriage, strongly pro Obama and socially and fiscally a liberal. Former Lucky Strike and Camel smoker.... still alive, barely. Don't start.

I'm looking forward to encountering some interesting conversations or debates on your forum. I am a long time fan of Matt Dillahunty and The Atheist Experience crowd, as well as Aaron Ra and Seth Andrews.

My wife was raised Buddhist, non practicing now, but very zen in her philosophy of life. I was lucky and was never much of a believer, but like many atheists I came slowly to understand that it's ok not to believe in gods, no guilt needed, and now I'm quite proud not to have to associate myself with the madness that religion has currently become.

good to have you onboard

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)