Lurker no more!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Wink Lurker no more!
I discovered this site when I saw someone wearing a TTA shirt at a children's event. I was thrilled, there aren't many open athiests in Oklahoma, and I am kind of just now leaving religion. Wavering between agnosticism and atheism, to be honest.

So, a little about me. I'm a child welfare social worker, not actually named Sally. I live in central Oklahoma. I'm in my mid-20's, married, have a toddler and will probably eventually have more. I'm relatively weird, but am learning to embrace that! I loe Star Trek, video games, reading pretty much anything I can get my hands on, and generally being a social outcast. Smile

I was raised first in a Mennonite church, then a Baptist church. I grew up doing the whole youth group experience, went to Falls Creek (A Baptist summer camp), was very involved. I have always felt very uncomfortable with many of the church's teachings, I seem to have been born a liberal, and the conservative teachings of the church and Oklahoma as a whole. I was also kind of annoyed that no one could ever answer my questions in a logical way at church. Anyway, long story short, here I am!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like socialworkersally's post
01-06-2013, 05:07 PM
RE: Lurker no more!
Welcome!

and there's a book club BTW!

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
01-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Welcome out into the light!

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.

Just because her eyes don't tear doesn't mean her heart doesn't cry. Just because she comes off strong doesn't mean there's nothing wrong.
01-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Welcome.

I suspect you weren't so much born liberal as born intelligent. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
01-06-2013, 09:16 PM
The part about "reading pretty much anything I can get my hands on" is the work of the Devil and explains why you're a social outcast.

Now then, we have some nice refreshing Kool-Aid over here just for you Wink

Welcome socialoutcastsally Yes

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
01-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Gahhhhh! You've been watching us??? Confused

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
01-06-2013, 09:38 PM
(01-06-2013 05:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  Welcome.

I suspect you weren't so much born liberal as born intelligent. Consider

Haha, thank you!

Thank you guys for the welcome. I do love the forum. I can't really openly discuss topics of religion with family. i can a little bit with friends, but being an atheist (or really anything other than conservative Christian) isn't really "acceptable" in Oklahoma. I work in a very rural county, and all my coworkers are very conservative, which has caused some friction with me. >Sad

Apparently no one can live and let live around here.
02-06-2013, 12:49 AM
Welcome Sally!

I lived/worked in a conservative and rural community not long ago and can relate the the feelings of isolation within a community. This forum became my home then, a place I really relied on for a dose of reason and positive connection.

Glad you made the step from lurker to participator Smile
03-06-2013, 05:17 AM

Joke.exe

[Image: 9f6.gif]