Lying for Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2015, 11:41 PM
Lying for Jesus
My opponent told an outright lie. This took me by complete surprise. I find it hard to believe someone who professes to be a Christian would do that, but he did. I called him on it but he insisted I had said something which I had not said. I walked out. I guess I lost the debate.No

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2015, 11:51 PM
RE: Lying for Jesus
(29-12-2015 11:41 PM)f stop Wrote:  My opponent told an outright lie. This took me by complete surprise. I find it hard to believe someone who professes to be a Christian would do that, but he did. I called him on it but he insisted I had said something which I had not said. I walked out. I guess I lost the debate.No

No. You annulled the debate. You had no other option.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-12-2015, 11:52 PM
(29-12-2015 11:41 PM)f stop Wrote:  My opponent told an outright lie. This took me by complete surprise. I find it hard to believe someone who professes to be a Christian would do that, but he did. I called him on it but he insisted I had said something which I had not said. I walked out. I guess I lost the debate.No

Well, don't stop there. Be specific. Which of the many lies for Jesus did he chose to tell?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
30-12-2015, 02:33 AM

The bishop Eusebius apparently said "It is fine to lie if it helps the cause of Christianity". They've been lying ever since.

BTW. Why are you surprised a xian lied? Huh

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
30-12-2015, 03:49 AM

Happens all the time when you debate certain theists.........in my experience the evangelical/creationist types are the worst offenders.

Quote-mining, the dishonest use of out-of-context quotations, is a common tactic I've encountered whereby they cherry-pick or quote-out-of-context in an attempt to justify their claims or deride well-founded science....and YECs appear to be the worst offenders.

They do this without a hint of shame even denying that it is dishonest when they are exposed.

You didn't lose the debate. Your opponent did. I hope you publicly called him out.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 2 users Like Silly Deity's post
30-12-2015, 07:02 AM

If their basic position is a lie, that there is a God, you have to realize that lie about it is all they can do. My brother is what they refer to as a lay preacher in their church. He lies in business as well as in his personal life on a regular basis. Then when I call him on it (we were business partners for years) he lies some more.
Any claim by Christians that they are more honest than the rest of us is just their lies.
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
30-12-2015, 09:17 AM
(30-12-2015 07:02 AM)DerFish Wrote:  Any claim by Christians that they are more honest than the rest of us is just their lies.

One of the biggest lies has to be that "good christian" equates to "good person".

In my experience the two are often mutually exclusive.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 2 users Like Silly Deity's post
30-12-2015, 10:13 AM
In some of my debates the opposing side will turn themselves off. Plugging their ears to anything that is being said. In one, my opponent made the statement that everything in the bible is 100% true. I brought up if she truly believed that she would have to also believe in Giants, Unicorns, Dragons and talking animals. Her only response was "If it's in the bible it's true, and there's nothing you can do to disprove it!" I was taking back and laughed thinking she was joking. She then resorted to threatening damnation in hell. I realized that was just her way of saying "i'm not talking about this anymore because I don't know what I'm talking about.".

Months past and I slipped in a comment about a "unicorn" sighting to her. Forgetting the conversation we had in the past she honestly scoffed and said that person must have been on drugs. Most religious people are never challenged on their beliefs especially by other religious people. Their conversations can come to an end with "Well that is what I believe." like it's a get out of jail free card.

My follow up to that is usually. "Oh i'm sure you believe it. The question wasn't whether or not you believe. The question was; WHY do you believe it?"

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
30-12-2015, 10:19 AM
I remember closing the bible and walking away laughing when in a conversation with my father. He had said that the Bible is all 100 per cent true, so I leafed thru the Babble a bit and found where it said that Rome ruled the whole world. I pointed out that Rome didn't rule in the Americas, Dad assured me it did too since the Bible said so!
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
30-12-2015, 05:27 PM
(30-12-2015 07:02 AM)DerFish Wrote:  

If their basic position is a lie, that there is a God, you have to realize that lie about it is all they can do. My brother is what they refer to as a lay preacher in their church. He lies in business as well as in his personal life on a regular basis. Then when I call him on it (we were business partners for years) he lies some more.
Any claim by Christians that they are more honest than the rest of us is just their lies.
This is it in a nutshell. One of the ways this manifests is in using arguments over and over again that have been shown to be faulty. I'm sure we have all seen this happen many times. Evading the fact that an argument has been refuted is a form of lying, flat and simple.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick