MAVEN is going to Mars

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2013, 04:09 PM
MAVEN is going to Mars
Mars Atmosphere and Volatile EvolutioN. The goal is to find out what exactly caused the planet's atmosphere and water to be stripped away. http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/maven/...oVJYXivbTQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Lawls's post
15-11-2013, 11:32 PM
RE: MAVEN is going to Mars
(14-11-2013 04:09 PM)Lawls Wrote:  Mars Atmosphere and Volatile EvolutioN. The goal is to find out what exactly caused the planet's atmosphere and water to be stripped away. http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/maven/...oVJYXivbTQ

Loss of magnetic field.

I don't believe there is any other working hypothesis that can be tested. If they are going on a fishing expedition to find evidence to formulate other hypotheses...this mission is a waste of money.

KingsChosen is a lying douchebag
16-11-2013, 07:29 AM
Now you're really into troll territory, Heywood. Did you attend the relevant hearings? Are you across the current scientific literature relating to the structure and behaviour of Mars upper atmosphere? You see a headline and you immediately assess it is not being value for money without knowing a damn thing about the information it intends to collect or the uses that information will be put to.

With mars potentially being populated by humans within the next 50 years, it is worth spending a little coin in finding out how the atmosphere works. It's also useful to understand what similarities and differences can be drawn to our own climate system.

"MAVEN will have four primary scientific objectives:
Determine the role that loss of volatiles to space from the Mars atmosphere has played through time.
Determine the current state of the upper atmosphere, ionosphere, and interactions with the solar wind.
Determine the current rates of escape of neutral gases and ions to space and the processes controlling them.
Determine the ratios of stable isotopes in the Martian atmosphere."

See, I know way more about it than you. You just read the headline. I read the wikipedia article.

Now if this conversation is to evolve any further I suggest it be between individuals adequately informed about the topic, not numptie no ideas on the topic like yourself and myself.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
16-11-2013, 10:13 AM
Jesus, scaring me like that. Thought they were sending a human up there for a second there.
Good, my chance to be the first to walk on a different planet is still available.

Hopefully noone would have been to Mars by the time I get filthy stinking rich.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]