MC Yo Wassup VS Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2015, 07:54 AM
RE: MC Yo Wassup VS Atheism
(03-03-2015 04:20 PM)mcyowassup Wrote:  I am MC Yo Wassup. I am a 54 y/o rapper from Tucson Arizona. I have been on youtube for three years now and have mostly stayed in the hip hop community. However recently I made my first video concerning the debate that the atheists waste peoples time with. I dont claim to know anything but neither should you claim you know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrPEeq9d_TA

I would like to see what the Atheist community here has to say now that I presented this argument to you all. Does this change anyones mind?

SHOUT OUT SETH LOVE YOU BROTHER but you gotta get humbler yo, its okay to no know.

Hmmm, 54 y/o rapper? Don`t want to be judgmental but...seriously?

MC Grandpa Big Grin

Welcome to the forum

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2015, 08:11 AM
(04-03-2015 07:54 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(03-03-2015 04:20 PM)mcyowassup Wrote:  I am MC Yo Wassup. I am a 54 y/o rapper from Tucson Arizona. I have been on youtube for three years now and have mostly stayed in the hip hop community. However recently I made my first video concerning the debate that the atheists waste peoples time with. I dont claim to know anything but neither should you claim you know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrPEeq9d_TA

I would like to see what the Atheist community here has to say now that I presented this argument to you all. Does this change anyones mind?

SHOUT OUT SETH LOVE YOU BROTHER but you gotta get humbler yo, its okay to no know.

Hmmm, 54 y/o rapper? Don`t want to be judgmental but...seriously?

MC Grandpa Big Grin

Welcome to the forum

Don't knock the old muscians, man.

The Catarappers were good, if a little blinded by success, and we can't forget about their dedicated breakdance crew, The Hip Replacements. Certainly lived up to their name.
The Dementia Men and the Alzheimer Alleymen were great! ... Before they forgot everything that is... Then it just got sad...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
04-03-2015, 08:22 AM
(04-03-2015 08:11 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(04-03-2015 07:54 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Hmmm, 54 y/o rapper? Don`t want to be judgmental but...seriously?

MC Grandpa Big Grin

Welcome to the forum

Don't knock the old muscians, man.

The Catarappers were good, if a little blinded by success, and we can't forget about their dedicated breakdance crew, The Hip Replacements. Certainly lived up to their name.
The Dementia Men and the Alzheimer Alleymen were great! ... Before they forgot everything that is... Then it just got sad...

Believe it or not, band called Hip replacements actually exists.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
04-03-2015, 08:47 AM
Rev Run & DMC are 50.
Hell, so am I, but I ain't no rapper.

Age is just a number and so is high cholesterol Smile

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
04-03-2015, 09:09 AM
(03-03-2015 04:47 PM)mcyowassup Wrote:  
(03-03-2015 04:43 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Is there any evidence in that link?

Bro you totally missed the point of the video and my claim. I claim Not to know because its too complex so no there is no evidence because if I had evidence of ignorance what logical sense would that make. I just want Atheists to not to stress so much that they know for sure there isnt a higher power just claim you dont know and its okay not to. Does this clear up my perspective?

There’s obviously more to your being here than agnosticism.

I've never once heard anyone try to convert people to agnosticism before.

I arrived at atheism after a long process of thought and reading, the fact that you can't come to a conclusion one way or another is not about to alter my views.

To me, the idea of a god is utterly ridiculous...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
04-03-2015, 09:34 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2015 02:15 PM by Full Circle.)
(04-03-2015 12:22 AM)mcyowassup Wrote:  Thanks for the welcome. I see your point and it is not humble for the religious to claim that they know for sure and to shove their beliefs and rules down our throats. I believe in a secular society and find all the things you mentioned horrible. But those are acts of individuals in groups and the faiths themselves should not be held accountable.

I disagree. Since I hold the position that all religions are man-made (as are gods) it isn’t possible to separate what a religion teaches and it’s followers.

When the Pope says that contraceptives are NOT to be used and Catholics uphold and teach that then how can you say it is the individual and not the faith?

When an Imam announces a fatwa on artists for depicting Mohammed in a cartoon because the Q’ran prohibits idolatry how can you say it is the individual and not the faith?

It doesn’t follow MC. You can close your eyes and think the individual is separate from the faith but if the person is following the tenets of the faith then I hold both responsible and accountable.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
04-03-2015, 09:56 AM
(04-03-2015 12:29 AM)mcyowassup Wrote:  I see what you're saying and you make a strong point that I will need to digest for awhile.

I do not however agree with the last statement about admitting not knowing as defeatist I think it is healthy logical work to always be aware of your limitations especially when grappling with ultimate questions.

Discussions are meant to stimulate thinking, take your time.

I don’t disagree that a person needs to be aware of their own limitations and not just with ultimite questions but even with day to day things. I would never try and rebuild an engine because I don’t know how but I am aware that there are people who are mechanics and are very good at repairing engines. I could even train myself using manuals written by the experts.

I don’t know how to calculate the motions of the cosmos but I aware that that there are people who do and I can read their studies. This applies to all human knowledge, all at the tip of our fingertips in today’s tech world.

“If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.” ~ Isaac Newton

Those that preceded Newton had limitations, Newton took their work further. Newton had limitations but those that have followed Newton have expanded our collective knowledge. I am certain that those who follow today’s scientists will expand our future knowledge.

Once again at no point should any of us say, “This is all we can know. There is no point in continuing our search for answers, let’s just say goddidit and call it a day.”

This is why I say this type of thinking is a ridiculous, defeatist notion.

If I misundertood your point please correct me.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
04-03-2015, 10:20 AM
(03-03-2015 08:29 PM)mcyowassup Wrote:  
(03-03-2015 08:06 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Welcome to the forum. Smile

I'll try to explain from another approach.

There's a difference between knowledge of, and belief in. As far as the knowledge of god's existence or nonexistence is concerned, we're all agnostic, yourself included. The difference between theists and atheists - theists believe that a god exists, while atheists lack that belief. It's not complicated at all.

That said, I think this is an attempt to 'level the playing field' between atheists and theists, putting blind faith on the same par with sound reasoning and critical thinking. As I said, they're completely different things.

So, forget about knowledge. Why do you believe there is a god? Inquiring minds want to know. Drinking Beverage

Thanks for the warm welcome. I just feel that the Universe is so complex and so mysterious yet acts in way which cant be random and could come together by happen stance so there must be a force making it happen.... probably

Even after painstakingly pointing out the difference between knowledge and belief, that we're all agnostic, (lacking direct knowledge of the existence of god(s)), and that the major difference between theists and atheists is belief or lack of belief in the existence of god(s), you still want to focus on knowledge.

Are you reading these posts in their entirety, or are you just skimming over them? Huh
04-03-2015, 10:53 AM
MC Yo Wassup VS Atheism
Welcome, MC. Hope you have fun.

First of all, no one has said they know everything. We all know it's impossible. That's a common misconception of atheists. People like to say we claim to know everything. Please don't be like knee-jerk theists and follow that line of thinking.

Next, I get your respect of holy books. That's fine, but why not put some credence into the Iliad or Odyssey or Eddas or other books? Are you certain that Zeus isn't real? How about Marduk? Dazhbog? Ra? To us, same thing. We don't see the proof that Zeus is tossing lightning or that Ra isn't rising his chariot. Same with Yahweh.

Science didn't make anything. It's a method by which humans describe the physical world. Miracles aren't outside the physical world. They just haven't been described yet and often have anecdotal stories that muddy the waters of research. I've survived illnesses that are usually terminal, but I think I had good doctors and good timing.

That we exist isn't a random event. We're a "because" phenomenon. We're here because things were as they are. It's only random to some because we're looking back and saying, hey, if the Earth were a mere million miles closer we wouldn't be here. That's like saying, hey, if only I had picked the right lottery numbers.

Just because we don't see eye to eye doesn't mean we're not reading or haven't heard this before. Take the time to read thoroughly and you'll see more civility and understanding than you'd imagine.

Hope that helps.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
04-03-2015, 12:04 PM
(03-03-2015 04:47 PM)mcyowassup Wrote:  
(03-03-2015 04:43 PM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Is there any evidence in that link?

Bro you totally missed the point of the video and my claim. I claim Not to know because its too complex so no there is no evidence because if I had evidence of ignorance what logical sense would that make. I just want Atheists to not to stress so much that they know for sure there isnt a higher power just claim you dont know and its okay not to. Does this clear up my perspective?

Not once in my life did I claim to know anything about the existence of a higher power.
I reject the claim that theists know god exists.
I don't know that god doesn't exist. I just don't accept the assertion that it does.
For fuck sakes! How many more times am I gonna hear this bullshit?