MC Yo Wassup VS Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2015, 02:16 PM
RE: MC Yo Wassup VS Atheism
(03-03-2015 05:06 PM)mcyowassup Wrote:  
(03-03-2015 05:00 PM)unfogged Wrote:  I think you'll find that many, if not most, of the members here identify as agnostic atheists. We don't believe there is a god because we do not see any actual evidence to support that claim. We also don't claim to know that there is no god because we don't have conclusive evidence to support that claim either.

Some do claim certainty but, in my experience anyway, they are a minority of atheists. The rest of us tend to stick with "I don't know" being the best answer and are willing to wait for evidence before deciding.

If you also agree that you don't know then I don't understand why you would believe it to be true anyway. We have many things we don't fully understand and many that we are only beginning to know enough to be asking the right questions. So far, everything we have figured out has had natural explanations so if you are going to believe one way or the other then the claim that "no god exists" seems easier to justify.

I hear you brother thanks for the reply. I am confused by what is an agnostic, atheist I thought they are different opposing beliefs. Also I dont think saying "no god exists" is easier to justify I think that its easier to justify seeing our world and universe that there is indeed most likely some sort of higher power but ultimately even though the chances lean massively towards there indeed is a "god' and I feel deep down there must be, I never the less humbly admit that I am not smart enough to know for sure and am willing to admit there is a very slight chance there is not one.

Asking what we believe would have been a better start than just assuming you knew. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
05-03-2015, 02:18 PM
(05-03-2015 02:12 PM)pablo Wrote:  Onlinebiker beat me to the puddle analogy. Thumbsup

yup... But DNA beat us both to it by years....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
05-03-2015, 02:20 PM
(05-03-2015 01:51 PM)mcyowassup Wrote:  I claim that god exists because of how perfect for our existence the world is and because of how large and complex our universe is. In all this chaos we were birthed this there should be some sort of higher power or some sort of god. I also claim humbly that while likely there also may not, my limited human intellect does not give me the understanding of the universe where I can say for sure.

If you actually believe the world is perfect for our existence then you don't know much about the world.

The more you know about the world, the more you realize that we are adapted to it - it was not made for us.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
05-03-2015, 03:15 PM
If this planet was designed for us, why is it so good at killing us?
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
05-03-2015, 03:26 PM
What bollocks is this? You took down your video; now us late to the party don't get to see Shy

I can respect a glimmer of what you're saying as I'm a perpetual skepticism supporter of the idea of questioning most proclamations, but for a person saying you don't know you make claims of knowing things to be so an awful lot. That life here is set up well for us, randomness couldn't of caused this, or that a some"one"/"thing" had to initiate forces. None of that fits the narrative of proclaiming to not know.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
05-03-2015, 03:41 PM
(05-03-2015 03:15 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  If this planet was designed for us, why is it so good at killing us?

... because we are so good at dying, of course.

mcyowassup, hello. I haven't been active lately, so I thought I'd add to the confusion. I'm a smart one. Smartass (not really, I don't call myself craniumonempty for nothing)... Either way, you do realize that most atheists today started out as theists, right? We already know we made a mistake once, I don't think anyone is going to tell themselves (even if they might sometime say it) that they know 100% that some deity might or might not be out there. Most will admit that they don't know, but why are you so adamant that they admit this to you? Sounds like you have an agenda from this end. Might as well come out with it instead of beating around the bush.

Since we are talking about things we don't know, I thought I'd expand a little. Deities aren't the only thing we don't know fully about (actually, it could be argued that we don't know 100% of anything, but that's a different story). However, it's kind of like aliens landing on Earth. Do we know 100% if aliens have come to Earth? No. There is no evidence that they have and no reason for us to believe they have, so why would we say they have? The claim is a large one that aliens have come, yet we will say publicly that they haven't even not knowing 100%. Drop some verifiable evidence in our laps and we will turn on a dime. But there are all these people saying they have had experiences with aliens? "Why won't we believe?" they say. Because all of their encounters can be written off. Do you think aliens have landed? Yes/no? Why? Why not?

Not just aliens. There are fairie folk. Have you been up to Iceland? They seem to have this belief that fairies live in rocks. They have scientists that study this. We don't know 100% they don't exist, yet don't really believe that they do. Why don't we? Do you believe they exist? How about bigfoot? Yeti? Chupacabra? The Hindu pantheon? The Greek pantheon? Allah? Yahweh? Why? Why not? These things have groups that truly believe in them. Why don't you believe in them all? The point is that if you don't know something exists, you generally don't believe that that thing exists. Why would you for this thing that you believe even though you clearly admit you don't know?

Speaking of belief, did you know that there is a belief that a deity that is the one true deity has said that everyone must not believe in deities else they suffer eternal punishment? Do you believe in that deity? I hope you don't, because it specifically tells you not to. However, if you believe in other deities, you are not following that belief. Actually, by saying you believe openly, you are not only bringing on your own eternal punishment, but you are also driving others toward it. This is pretty disrespectful to those who believe that they don't believe. Why would you do that?.. Ok, I made that one up. Or did I?

Not sure you will read it or not. I've read your posts and it seems you don't understand where we are coming from. I'm simply trying to let you know that. You don't have to stop believing. If it works for you, then by all means keep believing. I just want you to understand where we are coming from. That's enough typing for me.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
[+] 4 users Like craniumonempty's post
05-03-2015, 03:58 PM
(05-03-2015 03:15 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  If this planet was designed for us, why is it so good at killing us?

I imagine it would benefit humans greatly if we could drink seawater.
Why would god cover two-thirds of the planet with water that makes us ill if we drink it?
Seems like bad planning to me.
05-03-2015, 05:26 PM
(05-03-2015 02:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-03-2015 01:51 PM)mcyowassup Wrote:  I claim that god exists because of how perfect for our existence the world is and because of how large and complex our universe is. In all this chaos we were birthed this there should be some sort of higher power or some sort of god. I also claim humbly that while likely there also may not, my limited human intellect does not give me the understanding of the universe where I can say for sure.

If you actually believe the world is perfect for our existence then you don't know much about the world.

The more you know about the world, the more you realize that we are adapted to it - it was not made for us.

I guess MC doowap missed the fact that his perfect loving god created a big ball of fire called the sun, which bombards his creations with cancer causing rays... Consider

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
05-03-2015, 05:40 PM
(05-03-2015 03:58 PM)pablo Wrote:  

I imagine it would benefit humans greatly if we could drink seawater.
Why would god cover two-thirds of the planet with water that makes us ill if we drink it?
A "compassionate god" would have figured out a way for fish to piss alcohol......

If he wanted us to be happy that is....

So -- either he hates us, or he's a fucking moron......

Or even more likely -- fictional....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
05-03-2015, 06:17 PM
(05-03-2015 05:40 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(05-03-2015 03:58 PM)pablo Wrote:  I imagine it would benefit humans greatly if we could drink seawater.
A "compassionate god" would have figured out a way for fish to piss alcohol......

If he wanted us to be happy that is....

So -- either he hates us, or he's a fucking moron......

Or even more likely -- fictional....

Maybe FC knows if there's an alcohol-pissing fish species.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post