MIT and DARPA Pack Lidar Sensor onto Single Chip

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2016, 02:26 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2016 11:23 AM by GenesisNemesis.)
MIT and DARPA Pack Lidar Sensor onto Single Chip
http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/semic...-on-a-chip

Quote:Light detection and ranging, or lidar, is a sensing technology based on laser light. It’s similar to radar, but can have a higher resolution, since the wavelength of light is about 100,000 times smaller than radio wavelengths. For robots, this is very important: Since radar cannot accurately image small features, a robot equipped with only a radar module would have a hard time grasping a complex object. At the moment, primary applications of lidar are autonomous vehicles and robotics, but also include terrain and ocean mapping and UAVs. Lidar systems are integral to almost all autonomous vehicles and many other robots that operate autonomously in commercial or industrial environments.

Lidar systems measure how far away each pixel in a 3D space is from the emitting device, as well as the direction to that pixel, which allows for the creation of a full 3D model of the world around the sensor. The basic method of operation of a lidar system is to transmit a beam of light, and then measure the returning signal when the light reflects off of an object. The time that the reflected signal takes to come back to the lidar module provides a direct measurement of the distance to the object. Additional information about the object, like its velocity or material composition, can also be determined by measuring certain properties of the reflected signal, such as the induced Doppler shift. Finally, by steering this transmitted light, many different points of an environment can be measured to create a full 3D model.

TL;DR, this is great news for autonomous vehicles/robotics, as long as they can continue to improve the sensing.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
07-08-2016, 08:02 AM
RE: MIT and DARPA Pack Lidar Sensor onto Single Chip
This is so cool, we're living in a time where we are about to transition from human piloted vehicles to predominantly computer driven vehicles. This will eliminate the need for licensed drivers which will allow for greater freedom for people that need transportation, but can't drive.

It will be transformative for older people, people with medical issues and many other people. It will also be safer than humans at the wheel, being distracted, drunk, asleep, etc.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
07-08-2016, 11:33 AM
(07-08-2016 08:02 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  This is so cool, we're living in a time where we are about to transition from human piloted vehicles to predominantly computer driven vehicles. This will eliminate the need for licensed drivers which will allow for greater freedom for people that need transportation, but can't drive.

It will be transformative for older people, people with medical issues and many other people. It will also be safer than humans at the wheel, being distracted, drunk, asleep, etc.

Until some fifteen year old hacks the system.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
07-08-2016, 12:22 PM
(07-08-2016 11:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-08-2016 08:02 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  This is so cool, we're living in a time where we are about to transition from human piloted vehicles to predominantly computer driven vehicles. This will eliminate the need for licensed drivers which will allow for greater freedom for people that need transportation, but can't drive.

Will happen, no doubt. Maybe even tragically a few times. But then, 15 year-olds "hack" current automotive systems, too, for profit and entertainment.

I'm more squeamish at the idea of "legitimate" real-time controllers (human or algorithmic) routing vehicles past empty drive-through windows to tempt passengers, or through checkpoints for searches and surveillance, or down whichever streets have the most paying advertisers.
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
07-08-2016, 12:47 PM
(07-08-2016 11:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  

You dont need hackers currently. The systems are buggy enough still and have their quirks.
A few wekes ago i was test driving a vehicle (Ford CMax) with our latest brake system. One of its features is to be able to build up braking pressure insanely fast.
This in combination with a LIDAR was used to implement a functionality called "autonomous emergency braking AEB". If your speed is ca. 20mph or lower and you are closing in on an object (directly in front of you), the car will make an emergency brake completely autonomously. LIDAR is used for scanning the area in front of your car.

Now, can you imagine closing in on a rubber dummy car with 20mph and having a brake system that is able to pull pressure buildups several times the speed a human driver can do? Well after 3 tries i had a whiplash and felt dizzy and did so for the rest of the day.
When i was about to leave the testing track, suddenly the AEB went off again, completely unexpected and with nothing in front of the car. The guy from the test driving department just said in a very laconic style "and this is why we are not in series production yet, looks like the LIDAR has seen a reflection of a little object in the distance or so. Its a well known bug".

If i was on a public road
1) i would have had a whiplash (because of the unexpected event)
2) the car behind me would have crashed into my trunk, since is impossible for any human to be able to react and brake fast enough, making my whiplash maybe even worse

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
07-08-2016, 01:57 PM
(07-08-2016 12:47 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(07-08-2016 11:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  Until some fifteen year old hacks the system.

You dont need hackers currently. The systems are buggy enough still and have their quirks.
A few wekes ago i was test driving a vehicle (Ford CMax) with our latest brake system. One of its features is to be able to build up braking pressure insanely fast.
This in combination with a LIDAR was used to implement a functionality called "autonomous emergency braking AEB". If your speed is ca. 20mph or lower and you are closing in on an object (directly in front of you), the car will make an emergency brake completely autonomously. LIDAR is used for scanning the area in front of your car.

Now, can you imagine closing in on a rubber dummy car with 20mph and having a brake system that is able to pull pressure buildups several times the speed a human driver can do? Well after 3 tries i had a whiplash and felt dizzy and did so for the rest of the day.
When i was about to leave the testing track, suddenly the AEB went off again, completely unexpected and with nothing in front of the car. The guy from the test driving department just said in a very laconic style "and this is why we are not in series production yet, looks like the LIDAR has seen a reflection of a little object in the distance or so. Its a well known bug".

If i was on a public road
1) i would have had a whiplash (because of the unexpected event)
2) the car behind me would have crashed into my trunk, since is impossible for any human to be able to react and brake fast enough, making my whiplash maybe even worse

Moral of the story ---

To err is human.

To really fuck things up, takes a computer.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.