MLM and Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2017, 09:52 PM
RE: MLM and Religion
Aw, that sucks.

Years ago I lived in a small town, heavily religious people everywhere. I was at a MLM sale's pitch with some local moms (entertaining time). I liked the product, but this lady started to recruit, then asked everyone to pray over their business. I was like I CAN't HANDLE IT! Ha ha.

Different than your story though... having bought snake oil sucks. Sad
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2017, 10:08 PM
Some of the clients whose books I do are personal trainers. Several of them are also involved with YLEO. From what I have seen, they spend more on the oils than they make...and that goes for all of them. I have yet to see anyone make a profit.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
13-09-2017, 05:59 PM
(12-09-2017 09:50 AM)BethKahlich Wrote:  I got into Young Living Essential Oils MLM.

Still in it, technically (my wallet is being held hostage at this point).

The emphasis on religion was the final straw for me.

I just got into this business because I was financially desperate. Most of my old high school friends have started blocking me on social media. And that was the last thing I ever wanted to happen, since those (what I believed to be) friendships were everything in the world to me. I think I tried too hard.

I had this type of thing pitched to me at a younger more impressionable age and had never heard of them so had no innoculation to it...I backed out but could easily have gotten in over my head. Don't beat yourself up, get out of it and move on.

[+] 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
13-09-2017, 06:13 PM
Hug

Heart

Hope you are working your way out well.

Thumbsup
13-09-2017, 07:30 PM
(12-09-2017 09:50 AM)BethKahlich Wrote:  I got into Young Living Essential Oils MLM.

Still in it, technically (my wallet is being held hostage at this point).

The emphasis on religion was the final straw for me.

I just got into this business because I was financially desperate. Most of my old high school friends have started blocking me on social media. And that was the last thing I ever wanted to happen, since those (what I believed to be) friendships were everything in the world to me. I think I tried too hard.

Sorry to hear you got sucked into this. I had a roommate in college who lost a lot of money that way.

So how did religion factor in?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
13-09-2017, 10:14 PM
Wow! I had no idea they do religion. I used to work with a lady who was heavily into YLEOs. She was a distributor. She told me once the oils were pharmaceutical grade ( no such thing) and they could reprogram your DNA: let that sit for a minute. It was enough (more than enough) for me to run screaming in the opposite direction.

Their oils have also been tested and found not to be what it says on the label. They've been caught substituting cheaper ingredients- especially in the Menthas. I haven't got the link on this device, sorry. It's on a lappy a few thousand miles away.
[+] 1 user Likes Sushisnake's post
14-09-2017, 01:36 PM
I got relatives selling this Christian MLM stuff. Every MLM attempt my family ever got into always ended with them in the hole financially and having a house filled with stock they could not even give away. This is the newest MLM attempt. Even though they have failed at every business (construction, MLM, etc) they call themselves LIFE COACHES.

Zurvita

Here is the thing about potential...You either use your gift or your gift uses you. You are either a rocket or a bomb.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-09-2017, 04:25 PM
(14-09-2017 01:36 PM)Oaken Wrote:  I got relatives selling this Christian MLM stuff. Every MLM attempt my family ever got into always ended with them in the hole financially and having a house filled with stock they could not even give away. This is the newest MLM attempt. Even though they have failed at every business (construction, MLM, etc) they call themselves LIFE COACHES.

Zurvita

There is a reason that most MLM's have headquarters in Salt Lake City, Utah. They follow the recruiting model of the LDS church.

My wife and I were involved in an MLM. We lost money, of course, though I actually liked the product. The problem is, your friends don't want to buy your overpriced crap, and signing up strangers is a never ending quest, as your previous ones wise up and drop out.

A few people make some good money for a time, if the MLM lasts, but most of the top ones are figuring out sketchy schemes to get cash leadership bonuses for getting their downline to buy 100,000 of crap that month. "Let's all help Bill out so he can get to the Triple Diamond level". Yeah, just say no.

MLM's can have one positive effect, which is to teach some people how to get off their butts and actually do something. If they can take their inevitable MLM failure, and turn that into something positive, it may not be a waste.
[+] 1 user Likes Happy Skeptic's post
14-09-2017, 06:19 PM
This site exposes some current MLMs in the US...

Ranking the Top 25 MLM’s of 2017

I think our fair trading and consumer laws in Australia are more stringent than the US, although Amway and Herbalife are still ripping people off. Both have been nailed—but survived courtesy of legal appeals—in the past. Dodgy

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
14-09-2017, 07:45 PM
So what is so essential about these oils and why am I just now hearing about them? Consider