MLM and Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2017, 08:23 PM
RE: MLM and Religion
(14-09-2017 06:19 PM)SYZ Wrote:  This site exposes some current MLMs in the US...

Ranking the Top 25 MLM’s of 2017

I think our fair trading and consumer laws in Australia are more stringent than the US, although Amway and Herbalife are still ripping people off. Both have been nailed—but survived courtesy of legal appeals—in the past. Dodgy

Well, I'm an Aussie and the lady who told me YLEO reprogram your DNA is an Aussie, too. The health supplement industry flys under the radar, SYZ. A good start would be yanking the crap out of pharmacies - it legitimises it as "medicine" - but it's a large part of the pharmacy chains' profit margins, so they wouldn’t wear it.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=tim+m...B1r9ofq5M:
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Sushisnake's post
14-09-2017, 08:54 PM
(14-09-2017 07:45 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  So what is so essential about these oils and why am I just now hearing about them?

Essentially... ho ho... they're an overpriced ripoff. Consider this 9ml bottle (2 teaspoonsful) of oil that'll heal cold sores, laryngitis, sinusitis, eczema, as well as improve your sleep. And a steal at only $79.95 per bottle or a mere $8,883 per litre.

[Image: 8810819_2.jpg]

Stone the flamin' crows mate. Gasp

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
14-09-2017, 09:12 PM
(14-09-2017 08:54 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(14-09-2017 07:45 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  So what is so essential about these oils and why am I just now hearing about them?

Essentially... ho ho... they're an overpriced ripoff. Consider this 9ml bottle (2 teaspoonsful) of oil that'll heal cold sores, laryngitis, sinusitis, eczema, as well as improve your sleep. And a steal at only $79.95 per bottle or a mere $8,883 per litre.

[Image: 8810819_2.jpg]

Stone the flamin' crows mate. Gasp

Lol! Well, sandalwood is an expensive oil - you don’t get much in extraction. I used to wear it as perfume six million years ago when it wasn't that dear.

I had no idea it could do all that! Gasp

I get snakey every time I walk into a pharmacy- snake oil here, snake oil there. Here a snake oil, there a snake oil. Everywhere a bloody snake oil. The actual medicine fits on one shelf down the back.
[+] 2 users Like Sushisnake's post
19-09-2017, 06:25 PM
I've noticed a lot of Christians seem to get sucked into this crap; I guess if they are deluded enough to believe in a magic sky wizard then getting them to believe they can get rich selling magic oils and other bullshit isn't a stretch.

I've actually pretty much ended some associations over stuff like this; one guy I met at my first job out of college that I thought was a pretty decent friend called me about 2-3 years after we parted and I thought he wanted to catch up and turned out it was nothing but a sales pitch for some stupid internet business. I tried to keep changing the subject but he kept going back to it, so I made up an excuse to get off the phone. He called me a few days later and I tried to give him another chance, but he was about twice as pushy. He wanted to meet for lunch to "show me how awesome the opportunity was" and I said sure I'd meet him 2 days later and I totally stood him up. He tried calling 1 or 2 more times, then emailed me. I just replied back "You're not very good at taking a hint, are you?" That's the last I've heard from him and that was a decade ago.
[+] 2 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
23-09-2017, 05:09 PM
(12-09-2017 12:43 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  [There are a few MLMs that have been around for decades - think Amway and Avon - but most are just barely on the lighter-shade-of-gray side of the line from being illegal.
I would not necessarily exempt even those companies. I was hired by ... shall we just say, one of those companies ... back in the early 1990s to automate their incentive program for "sales associates". Their rule-set for how commissions, bonuses and incentives were earned and paid was so byzantine that even the department that administered these programs had conflicting interpretations. In a couple of cases they were so logically inconsistent that I had to force them to rewrite them so that they could be coherently translated into software form.

After awhile, they said they wanted to make some changes to the program, could I come in for a few more days. I made the changes, and then when I invoiced them, they changed their claim -- it wasn't a change request, but a correction.

I was very right and they were very wrong but they had expensive lawyers and it would have cost way more than the $2K they owed me for me to get justice.

After a couple of months, the mid-level manager who had duped me into working for free privately summoned me for an "apology" in which he admitted that he had given me incorrect specifications but he had to screw me in order to save his own job by getting the corrections done for free.

He gave me some free products to console myself with. I told him that a can of gasoline additive wasn't going to put food on my table, and that was the last we ever saw of each other.

So ... while some of these larger companies like Avon, AmWay, Mary Kay, etc., have a nicer public face and make some effort to look good, and are arguably even a lucrative ride for their very top "associates", they have their unsavory side as well.