MLP vs the Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2013, 08:50 PM
MLP vs the Bible
I’ve been thinking about the morality of the bible and how it truly stacks up as a source or morality or as a guidebook to ones life. So I decided to compare it to a a simplistic, child-oriented modern day work which also tries to teach us morals. I chose My Little Ponies: Friendship is Magic because of its current popularity, and thought of ways each is morally superior to the other one.

Here are a few ways that I think My Little Ponies is morally superior to the bible:

-Teaches to do the right thing out of empathy, pragmatism and respect for one another rather than out of fear, for a reward, or because you were told to.

-Teaches the people are generally good and worth helping and reasoning with, rather than teach that everyone is inherently evil and worthy of torture.

-Does not condemn people for things outside of their control such as homosexuality, being a bastard child, or being left handed.

-Does not seem to condone slavery, raping captured women, killing infidels, torture or genocide.

-Focuses more on being kind, selfless and practical then on meaningless rituals.

-Does not demand you believe the events literally happened nor does it demonize people who do not believe in it.

-Its morals are stated clearly and there is an obvious separation between what is to be taken literally and what is to be seen as merely a story.

-All of the morals taught within are morals that are still valued today.

-Punishment focuses on protecting the innocent and rehabilitating the offender rather than on vengeance and retribution.

-Morals taught are things that would make sense to people who weren’t raised to worship the source material.

-The protagonists do not slaughter thousands of people (including children and babies).

-Does not advocate the death penalty or torture.

-Portrays ties to family and friends as important and worthwhile as opposed to dangerous distractions.

-Does not portray entire nations or peoples as entirely evil.

-Protagonists demonstrate a willingness to forgive, compromise with, tolerate and even befriend the antagonists.

-Violence is only used in self defense and only under extreme circumstance when no other option is available.

-Total obedience is not the paramount moral.

-Divine figure is not motivated by jealousy or ancient grudges.

-Accepts that people are different and does not preach that everyone try to fit into a single mold.

-Is clearly egalitarian, portraying a society where gender, race and color are largely irrelevant.

-Does not need any kind of apologetics to make sense of it, or to keep it free of bad morals and advice.

-Arguing that the protagonists are moral people does not necessitate excusing murdering children.

-Does not condemn imaginary crimes (IE Witchcraft)

-Does not condemn or prescribe the death penalty for senseless laws, such as not working on Saturday, wearing the wrong type of cloths, having a bad haircut, etc.

-Does not even seem to suggest that people should be punished for things their ancestors did.

-Does not even seem to advocate sacrificing animals or people in religious rituals.

As a bonus let’s compare the worst crimes of the supreme ruler of each universe.

Princess Celestial: Banished Sister to the moon for 1000 years. Turned discord into stone. Sent Twilight o kill King Sombre. Gave Twilight 2 tickets for the Grand Galloping Galla knowing full well she had 5 friends. May be manipulative and inactive.

Total kill count:

Babies: ~0, Children: ~0, Civilians: ~0, Hostile combatants: 1, Adorable baby animals: ~0

God: Destroyed all life on the planet. Killed thousands of Egyptian children. Genocided entire nations. Force fed infidels the flesh of their own children (whom he himself killed). Mauled 42 children for calling Elijah bald. Nuked entire cities. Created all the diseases and parasite in the world. Created a realm of infinite torture for those who do not worship him. Killed his own son. Etc. Etc.

Total kill count:

Babies: Thousands (at least), Children: Tens of thousands (at least), Civilians: Millions,+ Hostile combatants: tens of thousands+, adorable baby animals: millions+

I tried thinking of ways that the bible is superior to MLP: FiM, but I could only think of one. The Bible is indeed more poetic and masterful in its language. However, this is only of style and not substance so I do not consider it a moral superiority.

I imagine that the theists among us would have more ways that the bible is morally superior to MLP (gen 4 only please). The biggest reason why I‘m posting this is to hear those reasons from them, in fact. I thank anyone who can add to either side of the list in advanced.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Epsilon-Delta's post
11-03-2013, 10:04 PM
RE: MLP vs the Bible
[Image: 5ec.gif]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
11-03-2013, 10:16 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2013 10:20 PM by Free Thought.)
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8ytm7OPNCZmPaKOc1bqW...svyMUCb2lg]

well at least our wholy bibal is recommended for all ages, not just little kids!

ALT:

I wuv tat sho, me and all my fwrinds from kindie wach it.

.... Either way

I've got a long way to go, before I can Poe.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
11-03-2013, 10:43 PM
(11-03-2013 08:50 PM)Epsilon-Delta Wrote:  -Does not demand you believe the events literally happened nor does it demonize people who do not believe in it.
I can't think of anything outside of religion that does this. Why do religions have such a hard-on for belief?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
12-03-2013, 02:50 AM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2013 02:54 AM by Mark Fulton.)
(11-03-2013 10:43 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(11-03-2013 08:50 PM)Epsilon-Delta Wrote:  -Does not demand you believe the events literally happened nor does it demonize people who do not believe in it.
I can't think of anything outside of religion that does this. Why do religions have such a hard-on for belief?
I know why.

The Real Purpose of Religion

Authorities in churches claim religion exists for people’s benefit, yet I think it was created for crowd control.

God didn’t invent it, nor did bona-fide historians, or people discussing what they thought was the truth, or people who genuinely cared about people. It was invented by power hungry priests and propagandists; spin-doctors asserting their own authority. They had a similar agenda to people who currently work in advertising agencies, and their writings share many of the features of an advertising campaign. "Belief" was invented to profit certain groups; it contained little of true value, it tried to appeal to the emotions and dreams of the masses to push a product.

Religion is targeted at the hoi polloi, the gullible gatherings, the naive people, the consumers; people who were credulous and superstitious, easily impressed by mythical stories and frightened by threats. It was thought up to promote power over these people and to empty their pockets. This is the main reason it’s survived the passage of time.

All talk about spirituality, morals and ethics is just floss designed to disguise the above.

Promoting belief required no real resources to get results. The use of gods, miracles, prophets, promises of heaven and threats of hell requires nothing more than confidence and an active imagination to advertise.

Religion is a product of the petty politics of power-hungry people. It has no legitimate authority. It’s nothing more than a mountain of superstitious nonsense.
12-03-2013, 02:55 AM
(11-03-2013 08:50 PM)Epsilon-Delta Wrote:  I’ve been thinking about the morality of the bible and how it truly stacks up as a source or morality or as a guidebook to ones life. So I decided to compare it to a a simplistic, child-oriented modern day work which also tries to teach us morals. I chose My Little Ponies: Friendship is Magic because of its current popularity, and thought of ways each is morally superior to the other one.

Here are a few ways that I think My Little Ponies is morally superior to the bible:

-Teaches to do the right thing out of empathy, pragmatism and respect for one another rather than out of fear, for a reward, or because you were told to.

-Teaches the people are generally good and worth helping and reasoning with, rather than teach that everyone is inherently evil and worthy of torture.

-Does not condemn people for things outside of their control such as homosexuality, being a bastard child, or being left handed.

-Does not seem to condone slavery, raping captured women, killing infidels, torture or genocide.

-Focuses more on being kind, selfless and practical then on meaningless rituals.

-Does not demand you believe the events literally happened nor does it demonize people who do not believe in it.

-Its morals are stated clearly and there is an obvious separation between what is to be taken literally and what is to be seen as merely a story.

-All of the morals taught within are morals that are still valued today.

-Punishment focuses on protecting the innocent and rehabilitating the offender rather than on vengeance and retribution.

-Morals taught are things that would make sense to people who weren’t raised to worship the source material.

-The protagonists do not slaughter thousands of people (including children and babies).

-Does not advocate the death penalty or torture.

-Portrays ties to family and friends as important and worthwhile as opposed to dangerous distractions.

-Does not portray entire nations or peoples as entirely evil.

-Protagonists demonstrate a willingness to forgive, compromise with, tolerate and even befriend the antagonists.

-Violence is only used in self defense and only under extreme circumstance when no other option is available.

-Total obedience is not the paramount moral.

-Divine figure is not motivated by jealousy or ancient grudges.

-Accepts that people are different and does not preach that everyone try to fit into a single mold.

-Is clearly egalitarian, portraying a society where gender, race and color are largely irrelevant.

-Does not need any kind of apologetics to make sense of it, or to keep it free of bad morals and advice.

-Arguing that the protagonists are moral people does not necessitate excusing murdering children.

-Does not condemn imaginary crimes (IE Witchcraft)

-Does not condemn or prescribe the death penalty for senseless laws, such as not working on Saturday, wearing the wrong type of cloths, having a bad haircut, etc.

-Does not even seem to suggest that people should be punished for things their ancestors did.

-Does not even seem to advocate sacrificing animals or people in religious rituals.

As a bonus let’s compare the worst crimes of the supreme ruler of each universe.

Princess Celestial: Banished Sister to the moon for 1000 years. Turned discord into stone. Sent Twilight o kill King Sombre. Gave Twilight 2 tickets for the Grand Galloping Galla knowing full well she had 5 friends. May be manipulative and inactive.

Total kill count:

Babies: ~0, Children: ~0, Civilians: ~0, Hostile combatants: 1, Adorable baby animals: ~0

God: Destroyed all life on the planet. Killed thousands of Egyptian children. Genocided entire nations. Force fed infidels the flesh of their own children (whom he himself killed). Mauled 42 children for calling Elijah bald. Nuked entire cities. Created all the diseases and parasite in the world. Created a realm of infinite torture for those who do not worship him. Killed his own son. Etc. Etc.

Total kill count:

Babies: Thousands (at least), Children: Tens of thousands (at least), Civilians: Millions,+ Hostile combatants: tens of thousands+, adorable baby animals: millions+

I tried thinking of ways that the bible is superior to MLP: FiM, but I could only think of one. The Bible is indeed more poetic and masterful in its language. However, this is only of style and not substance so I do not consider it a moral superiority.

I imagine that the theists among us would have more ways that the bible is morally superior to MLP (gen 4 only please). The biggest reason why I‘m posting this is to hear those reasons from them, in fact. I thank anyone who can add to either side of the list in advanced.
Great post!
12-03-2013, 03:49 AM
(12-03-2013 02:50 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  ...
invented to profit certain groups; it contained little of true value, it tried to appeal to the emotions and dreams of the masses to push a product.

... is targeted at the hoi polloi, the gullible gatherings, the naive people, the consumers; people who were credulous and superstitious, easily impressed by mythical stories ...
It was thought up to ... empty their [parents] pockets.
This is the main reason it’s survived the passage of time [since the 1980s].

So not completely unlike MLP Dodgy

12-03-2013, 08:29 AM
So doesn't this mean that it is better to get your morals from Ponies than from the Bible?

Quote:I wuv tat sho, me and all my fwrinds from kindie wach it.
Shhhhhh. It's okay. You can admit you love fluttershy, it's safe here.

Quote:So not completely unlike MLP

I admit that they share some flaws such as those you listed and the gross scientific inaccuracies, but I'm trying to focus on the differences.