MONKEYS CAN'T TALK!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2013, 09:24 PM
RE: MONKEYS CAN'T TALK!
(11-06-2013 09:12 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  The root of the issue is that the only people who vote in primaries are the extreme right on the Republican side and the extreme left on the Democratic side (although I would argue that it is a lesser problem on the left because moderates are well funded)...

What happens is that in order to win a primary you have to learn as far as possible toward your parties extremists to win the general ticket and what we get from the right in this instance is moronic policies and statements like in the OP as they pander to their mouth breathing base.

The way to fix it is open primaries, but good luck swaying public opinion to reform a system most people are woefully ignorant of.

I'd say gerrymandering is the real culprit. In the senate you have about the mix of liberals moderates and conservatives that you would expect from national trends because Senate voting is statewide and you don't have "safe districts" where as congressional districts are almost all gerrymandered one way or the other. Most of the members of the House only face competition in a primary from their own party. So they tend to swing hard left or right (mainly hard right as for whatever reason the left has never been as organized as the far right) If we were to make Congressional district just state wide it might help move things in the right direction.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2013, 09:34 PM
(11-06-2013 09:01 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-06-2013 08:57 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  I WANT MY OWN MARK OF SATAN!!!!

I'm fucking tired of being left out, guys. Seriously.

Hey ya go BB.

[Image: typea.jpg]

There's no pic, fucker.

Why do you torment me!?!?!?!?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-06-2013, 09:42 PM
(11-06-2013 09:34 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(11-06-2013 09:01 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Hey ya go BB.

[Image: typea.jpg]

There's no pic, fucker.

It's a stencil you print that out head on down to the tattoo artist and have that applied to your forehead.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
11-06-2013, 09:49 PM
(11-06-2013 09:42 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-06-2013 09:34 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  There's no pic, fucker.

It's a stencil you print that out head on down to the tattoo artist and have that applied to your forehead.

Oh well if the mark of Satan is just a tattoo, I've already got six marks of Satan.

You hear that, god? I've got 6, count em, 6, I'm talkin 6 marks of the beast right on this here body you told me not to be foolin with. Yes

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
11-06-2013, 10:54 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2013 11:19 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(08-06-2013 02:23 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Monkeys don't talk because they don't have the vocal capabilities we humans do. You will note that animals can sign like humans using their hands, as Koko the gorilla shows.

An awesome book on the subject of chimp sign language acquisition and usage is Next of Kin: My Conversations With Chimpanzees (1997) by Roger Fouts. It suggests our grammar was born from gestures. Recent research supports this. Washoe, the main subject of the book, can be seen in this video:

[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
12-06-2013, 08:58 AM
(11-06-2013 09:24 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I'd say gerrymandering is the real culprit. In the senate you have about the mix of liberals moderates and conservatives that you would expect from national trends because Senate voting is statewide and you don't have "safe districts" where as congressional districts are almost all gerrymandered one way or the other. Most of the members of the House only face competition in a primary from their own party. So they tend to swing hard left or right (mainly hard right as for whatever reason the left has never been as organized as the far right) If we were to make Congressional district just state wide it might help move things in the right direction.

Oh no doubt that gerrymandering has something to do with it, but that has been a problem for centuries and I'm not sure that there is a good solution... Although I suppose annihilating the district system altogether makes sense.

but yeah I still think the larger issue is just primary turn out plain and simple. Moderates don't vote in primaries, especially in congressional elections. That's why the tea party is able to get so many damn Fundees in the house, even without districting they would still get those seats.

13-06-2013, 05:50 AM
"How can like an african-american person evolve from a white person? We're different skin." 2:45

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.